Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:22 pm 

AnnaMarie,

I found ONE bracelet at Shoppers, at the back of the shelf. Let me know if you can't find one and I will mail it to you if you send me your address in a PM. I also found a citronella lotion in a roll-on applicator called Natrapel. It's really against mosquitoes and black flies, but it might make your little guy "feel safer". I would do a test area on his skin first.

If you can't find this product, I found a recipe this week-end to make your own natural repellent made with pure essential oils you can find at health product retailers:

In a spray bottle, blend:
1 tsp citronella
1/2 tsp geranium
1/2 tsp eucalyptus

Add 10 oz of witch hazel or pure spring water and 2 drops of liquid soap as an emulsifier. Agitate before use. Spray lightly as needed. Apply to a hat or over hair to protect fact.

You could also spray it on a bandanna if you don't want to spray it on the skin. I would also do a test area on the skin, just to be on the safe side.

They also recommend to NOT substitute fragrance or symthetic oils for pure essential oils, as these are likely to attract insects rather than repel them.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:58 am 

I saw those bracelets last night at walmart.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:57 am 

We found the bracelets at Walmart, but they were $4.50 for one bracelt and rather girlie -- like a beaded bracelet that a little girl would wear. They also had badges four in a package for $4.70 - so we bought that. Then we went to Dollarama and they had the plastic bracelets for $1. each -- so I bought about three or four.

The packaging at Dollarama is not really good and my eyes were watering :lol: So, I stuck them in a closet, figuing if they keep bugs away, it'll work like moth balls until he needs to wear them. :lol:

Thank you to everyone for all the help and support here. We've had a really difficult week. Not related to allergies - but having the help and support with the allergies meant I could put all my worrying in other areas. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:29 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
The packaging at Dollarama is not really good and my eyes were watering :lol: So, I stuck them in a closet, figuing if they keep bugs away, it'll work like moth balls until he needs to wear them. :lol:

No - thank YOU! You gave me my daily "laugh out loud" - cause I know exactly what you mean! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:23 pm 

AnnaMarie, let us know if your little guy feels safer and braver with the button and the bracelet. I'm curious to know! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:09 pm 

I guess I'm getting the *bad mommy* award. :( Since we haven't been out much this weekend I didn't put it on him. In the house, he got bit by something (mosquito I think). This morning he woke up with a huge swelling on his leg. It's not as bad as the allergic reactions he's had -- but it's bad enough we gave him benedryl. At bedtime tonight, it's still itchy, red, swollen, so more benedryl. grrrrr :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:41 am 

Don't be so hard on yourself, AnnaMarie. You're hardly a bad mommy. We just can't be everywhere all the time and think of every single little thing.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Stupid mosquitos! :evil: Can you get a pet bat?
You are not a bad mommy! You just feel bad because he's uncomfortable and it's frustrating that you can't be everywhere al of the time. Gee that sounds like a typical mommy to me.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:13 am 

Well, he does seem to feel safer with the bracelet. It's rather amusing though, he actually said "I don't know if the bracelet works that good or if there just weren't any bugs around." But, I was watching him playing and he was just having fun, not looking like he needed to escape. And yesterday was the b-b-q at school. Lots of food, Mr. Freezies, watermelon. And, he just went up to each table to get his treat, without ducking down and jumping at shadows.

As for his bite from the weekend, it's still red and swollen, but the itching seems to have gone. He's been on benedryl, but I didn't give him any today. Poor guy is not enjoying his last few days of school, because benedryl makes him very emotional. Lots of tears over silly little things. Fortunately, his teacher is very understanding.

Did I mention, he actually likes the smell of these bracelets.

And, I'm now getting phone calls from family that found them and boughts some. I think I'm going to have about a year's supply. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was watching him playing and he was just having fun, not looking like he needed to escape.

Wow, that is exactly what we all want for our chidren. I'm really glad that you found those bracelettes.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:54 am 

Hi Anna Marie! I'm really glad for you and your kid that you could find a solution. I also had a good laugh reading

Quote:
The packaging at Dollarama is not really good and my eyes were watering Laughing So, I stuck them in a closet, figuing if they keep bugs away, it'll work like moth balls until he needs to wear them.

Like Ethansmom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:01 pm 

I have to let you all know -- my son has never spent so much time outdoors as this summer. :)

We are at the pool almost every day (heat wave in Toronto), but he also plays outside with his friends - always with his bracelet on.

So far three people have been stung by wasps at the pool though. :shock: The third person actually has an allergy to some stinging insects. I've been going and checking that she's OK - she knows I have benedryl and epi-pens if she needs them. So far, no reaction though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:44 pm 

AnnaMarie, I'm glad your boy is having fun and that the bracelet is helping.

Did you see my post for the "Waspinator" under Shopping? They are very inexpensive. I found one at Shopper's Drug Mart for $7.99. It stays in shape even after it rains heavily and you can take it along on picnics. I can't say if it has made a difference yet, it's been less than a week. And It doesn't use chemicals, I like that!