Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What to buy organic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:05 pm 

Hi,

This is to add to the discussion about OAS on the "other allergic topics" section.

I remembered seeing this article about buying organic. While I wish everything were organic, or that we could afford everything organic, this list helps.

(from a Money magazine article referencing a Consumer Reports study)
For that reason, Urvashi Rangan, one of the report's authors, recommends buying organic versions of those items and the following fruits and vegetables: apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, spinach and strawberries, imported grapes, nectarines, peaches, pears, potatoes, and red raspberries.

Not worth it...But the report, citing the research and advocacy organization Environmental Working Group, pointed to several fruits and vegetables that generally didn't retain pesticide residue.

They include asparagus, avocados, bananas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet corn, kiwi, mangos, onions, papaya, pineapples and sweet peas.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/09/pf/orga ... d/?cnn=yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:39 pm 

Thanks Daisy -- I've often wondered about this.
Quote:
...or that we could afford everything organic

isn't that the truth (but I do understand why it is more expensive...to a point)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:17 pm 

One thing I would add to my personal list of what to buy organic: canned tomatoes.

I noticed that organic canned tomatoes taste better....(I've been buying Thomas More's Utopia tomatoes and, when on sale, Ontario's Naturals...I think that's what they're called anyways).

On "America's Test Kitchen" today (cooking show on WNED Buffalo) they did a taste test of 5 different brands of canned tomatoes---the one organic brand they were testing, Muir Glen Organics won. (although the guy taking the taste test on camera chose another brand).

They mentioned that tomatoes are often skinned by being immersed in vats of hot lye. Apparently it is safe. Muir Glen Organics, however (and I imagine all organic companies would tend to avoid chemicals), uses steam. I think I'll go for the steamed tomatoes! I bet that has something to do with the improved flavour, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:06 pm 

hmmm that was really interesting... i tend to have a lot organic foods in my area of the fridge for the almost vegan aspect of my diet, my soy milk is organic cuase the brand i like best is, and my work microwavable entrees are oranic because htose are the ones that are tend tobe vegatarin/veegan, as for produce i've found that the times i've gone organic the veggies have a better taste to them, but most of the time cost wins out...

i know this is off topic, but if you're looking for organic entrees which are allergy aware Amy Organic have the top ten already on their label clearly marked as what IS in their factories (ie milk, soy) and what is NOT (ie peanuts and treenuts) they make the best meatless "sheppards pie" ever and their lactose free lasgna is to die for!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:17 pm 

Thanks for the tip---I'm afraid, though, that I have to avoid soy like the plague and also avoid other legumes, lentils....So..I'm a meat eater by default! But I've been trying to buy 'naturally raised' meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:59 pm 

Helen wrote:
They mentioned that tomatoes are often skinned by being immersed in vats of hot lye. Apparently it is safe. Muir Glen Organics, however (and I imagine all organic companies would tend to avoid chemicals), uses steam. I think I'll go for the steamed tomatoes! I bet that has something to do with the improved flavour, too.

Helen I had no idea what lye was and so I googled it - how disturbing is that! I had no idea that that's what they used! Something I also read said that just because tomatoes are organic doesn't mean they haven't been skinned using the lye process. I wonder if you called the manufacturer if they would be forthcoming with their use of lye or steam in the making of their canned tomatoes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:14 pm 

As far as "what to buy organic" I have heard cereals. Cereal grains are very commonly GMO, as well as pesticide, fungicide, herbicide synthetic fertilizer. As well as lots of preservatives. Some common preservatives BHA and BHT used to extend shelf life are contraversial if they are safe and can contribute to ADD and other childhood behavior issues.

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa082101a.htm

The organic stuff I have bought does not have BHA or BHT present. Maybe it does not have a shelf life of a few years...but I am fine with that! I have been buying the PC organics crunchy corn (which is a healthier version of corn pops, they are smaller, and are not awkward to eat and do not scratch up your mouth like corn pops), and PC orgaincs raisin bran which is also free of hydrogenated oil on the raisins ( the brand name had hydrogenated oil).

I find myself mentioning substances known to effect childrens behavior a lot (BHA, BHT, carmine, tartrazine etc.). My kids honestly do not show signs of ADD, but I think "if chemicals are known to contribute to behavior problems...why eat them if you don't have to." Those substances are sooo common in foods marketed as "kids food" like colorful cereals, candy, pop etc.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.