Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:05 pm 

Helen wrote:

Sometimes "may contain" means "probably does contain"...sometimes it just means that there is a slight slight chance of cross contamination. And sometimes a product "may contain" an allergen but there is no label warning one of the fact. If you don't want to give up Italpasta entirely, you might want to contact them to find out the reasoning behind the labelling. i.e. if the plant contains egg-containing products but those products are kept away from the pasta it might be relatively safe (but not 100% safe) But if the eggless pasta is processed on the same line as the eggy pasta.....then I would avoid it. Just because the one batch is safe doesn't mean that the next one is (it might depend for example on whether it was the first batch produced after the egg-containing pasta or the last batch).

I agree with this for my egg allergy. I do not eat pasta "processed on the same lines", but I am ok with egg "in the same facility". However, it depends upon your or your child's level of sensitivity. (I have not had a known ana. reaction to egg, but have tested positive to egg white w/ SPT and RAST. Because some of my allergies have gotten worse, I am being very careful w/ egg.)

My shellfish allergy has progressed to inhalant. I do react to shellfish even being "in the same facility" . (See the Pizza Hut post in the shellfish allergy section.) I avoid anything "processed in the same facility" for this allergen.

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:58 pm 

I found another brand at my health food store tonight.

http://www.tinkyada.com/

The first paragraph on their website says free of all kinds of allergens. Woo hoo! :D

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:43 pm 

We just tried the Tinkyada spaghetti last night, and it was great! Nice texture, etc.

I bought it at our local Safeway (Beddington Towne Centre, for anyone in Calgary who might be looking), and I was just there again today & they're clearing it out. So the good news is it was less than $2/pkg, but the bad news is they're discontinuing it. We can always get it at one of our great whole foods stores (Amaranth) though, alongwith many other types of pasta under the Tinkyada brand.

Thanks for mentioning it on here, saskmommyof2.

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:21 pm 

You're welcome cdnmama. They have "little dreams" shapes which my kids think are so cool. You've gotta check those out! Yeah, I was quite impressed with the texture of the tinkyada pastas too!

We will be in Calgary next week. Any stores I should check out for cool allergy friendly products?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:28 am 

Have a great time while you're here! Depending what parts of the city you'll be visiting, you can try Amaranth Whole Foods in the NW (http://www.amaranthfoods.ca), or Community Whole Foods (http://www.communitynaturalfoods.com/).

I remember reading about a store by Chinook Mall that that has some specialty allergen-free products, but I don't seem to have the info anymore. Ok... here's a link with a list of places, and it's on there -Nuthin' with Nuts. Maybe some of the other local places will work for you and your family: http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/marketplace.html#food

Enjoy your visit!

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Hey, great! We'll be in Calgary next summer attending a wedding. It's nice to know where to shop as time will be of essence. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb