* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: im healthy soynutbutter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:56 pm 

I found this this weekend

http://soynutbutter.com/product.html

I like it better than the peabutter, and it does not contain hydrogenated oil or icing sugar, and they are free of milk, eggs and most other allergens as well (except soy). They have a chocolate one which I am considering letting my kids eat since it looks nothing like peanut butter (it is choc from cocoa...no milk or tons of sugar). I bought a regular one too...but i am not as comfortable with the idea of letting the kids have it because it looks just like PB. But, my logic is weak since my severely milk allergic daughter drinks soy beverage even though it looks just like cows milk.

How does everyone else feel about PA kids eating peanut free substitutes? I am thinking here that my thoughts on my possibly being okay with this may be different than everyone elses thoughts because my kids are homeschooled and accidently assuming PB somewhere, thinking it is peanut free stuff is not as likely. And, do you think from the photo that the choc. one is obviously recognizable as something different?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:38 am 
Site Admin

Looks great! :)
I have no problem with our daughter eating soy cheese or drinking soy milk. If you explain to your children that it is a safe alternative (fake/pretend). The rule still stands that they not eat anything unless Mommy and/or Daddy have checked the ingredients.
I think it's important that they not feel they are so different that they are missing out on some, percieved as fundamental, childhood experience.
I would not allow my daughter to take any fake PB to school as it could confuse others. I would not keep the "real thing" in the house so as not to reach for it by accident.
Chocolate looks like Nutela, can they have that?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:06 am 

Saskmommy,

Thanks so much for posting this. Although I don't consider myself allergic to peanut butter, since I never have had a problem with it, my last allergy testing showed a positive skin test. I know it could be a false positive, but have decided to avoid peanut butter. It's not a necessary food anyway. I still let my kids eat it and everything, but it would be nice for me to have this on toast. I use the peabutter in baking as my kids still want their peanut butter treats (and if I make it, I want to be able to eat it!), but don't find it as tasty as the real thing when eaten plain on toast. I'll be interested to see how this soy butter tastes.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:56 am 

We have bought a soynut butter (a different brand, very nice, all organic and sweetened with honey) and my daughters like it as much as peanut butter. My daughter had a reaction to peanut butter last February and she really misses everything peanut butter, especially Reese's peanut butter cups. She finds this a great substitute, especially with jam.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:04 pm 

I found the IM Healthy Soy nut Butter and love it. My husband and kids thinks it is great. We call it soy nut butter and my kids seem to be aware of the difference. I too was initially a little unsure about confusing them between pb. and soy nut butter, we just are sure to talk about the differences.
I tried making cookies with it and they didn't seem to hold their shape very well so I flattened the dough into a baking pan and made a square. I have to say it was really good and very exciting if you miss PB. I am not sure if the baking differnce was from the soy nut butter or from not being able to use eggs in the recipe. I also used it to make a "peanut dipping" sauce for chicken satay and it also worked fairly well, although I don't think I would use the chunky kind for this again as the chunks did get slightly soggy. The chunky is great though for sandwiches and it really helps to create the sensation of chunky pb. Like many soy products I find adding an additional ingredient helps to mask any lingering soy taste, so jam works great here.
This is definatley one of the best finds I have come across recently. I certainly prefer it to pea butter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:09 pm 

that sounds really intesting!! i'm not allergic but i'm a serious peanut butter fiend but have realised that eating peanut butter at work (working around food) is not the best idea i'll have to keep an eye out for it, and maybe suggest it to my aunt who is having trouble feeding her kids since their school went nut free and her kids will NOT try anything new that doesn't look like what they are used to eating!!! i offered them "chicken fingers" and they asked me what's that!? and their friends are like it's a different name for chicken nuggets which they like

see parents with non-allergic kids have their trials and meal time too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:29 pm 

I haven't tried soynut butter yet but have the peabutter. I was happy to have a peanut butter substitute but also wasn't crazy about the ingredients in the peabutter. So it seems that the soynut butter is a better alternative. I'll have to give it a try.
When we first purchased the peabutter, I offered it to my son and he didn't want anything to do with it - so I didn't push the matter. Then I started wondering about confusing him. To me, they honestly have quite a similar smell and taste (pb and peabutter). I didn't want him to be out somewhere at some point and have someone offer him peanut butter and have him think that it was peabutter so I decided not to give it to him. I think as he gets older, I'll offer up a pb substitute again, once he's able to understand the difference between the products.
I think the chocolate version would be different enough not to confuse him -- nice option for those of us that *used* to enjoy Nutella (made of hazelnuts Susan - so a no-no for the nut allergic :( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:17 am 

I found this product a few years ago, before pea butter hit the grocery shelves. It is nice to be able to have the soynut butter as an alternative however I was hesitant to share this with anyone other the PA families as the schools have a hard enough time monitoring PB at school. This would only further complicate lunchtime.
My son who is PA tried it and did not like it. My other children who are not PA did not like it either. I believe, for all of them, they did not like the texture. For my PA child, there has to be some hesitation/fear to try something that so closely resembles the very food we have drilled into him since he was 11/2yrs old to avoid, avoid, avoid.
I was interested to learn of the chocolate flavour-I have not seen this before-where has anyone found this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:33 pm 

I found it at an independant health food store in Saskatoon. I phone or e-mail companies with products I would like to find, and ask for local retailers. I have had A LOT of success finding things this way.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:14 pm 

I used IM Healthy the other day and made a really yummy pb icecream with chocolate ripples.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:51 pm 

Well...I picked up the chocolate version yesterday...my son didn't like it at all and I'm kind of indifferent to it. I wouldn't say it was bad, but I wouldn't rush out to buy it again. I think I'd like the regular one better - I'll pick it up next time.