You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Food Safety
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:22 am 

http://healthandfitness.sympatico.msn.ca/News/ContentPosting.aspx?contentid=3fe276ce0d3e4d3dabae028650ad13a4&show=True&number=6&showbyline=False&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc

Scientific panel concludes that Teflon chemical a likely carcinogen
30/01/2006 8:53:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOVER, Del. (AP) - A chemical used in the manufacture of Teflon and other nonstick and stain-resistant products should be considered a "likely" carcinogen, according to an independent scientific review panel advising the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

The recommendation included in the panel's final draft report is consistent with its preliminary finding, which went beyond the EPA's own determination that there was only "suggestive evidence" from animal studies that perfluorooctanoic acid and its salts are potential human carcinogens.
"The predominant panel view was that the descriptor 'likely to be carcinogenic' was more consistent with currently available data, while a few panel members reached the conclusion that the current evidence fails to exceed the descriptor 'suggestive,' of carcinogenicity," the panel said in a draft report released Monday.

Officials with Wilmington, Del.-based DuPont Co., the sole North American producer of PFOA, took issue with the panel's conclusions.

"We disagree with the panel's recommendation on the cancer classification, and we continue to support the EPA's draft risk assessment," said Robert Rickard, director of health and environmental sciences for DuPont.

PFOA is a processing aid used in the manufacturing of fluoropolymers, which have a wide variety of product applications, including nonstick cookware. The chemical also can be a byproduct in the manufacturing of fluorotelomers used in surface protection products for applications such as stain-resistant textiles and grease-resistant food wrapping.

Besides disagreeing with the EPA on the potential carcinogenicity of PFOA, also known as C-8, a majority of members on the review panel also recommended that the EPA's risk assessment include additional data on PFOA's potential to cause liver, testicular, pancreatic and breast cancers. A majority of panel members also recommended that the chemical's effects on hormones and on the nervous and immune systems be included in the risk assessment, and that studies should not be limited by age, gender or species in assessing human risk.

The findings of the panel, which was established by the EPA's Science Advisory Board, will be reviewed by SAB officials in a Feb. 15 teleconference.

copyright-The Canadian Press
© 2006 Bell Canada, Microsoft Corporation and/or their contributors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:22 pm 

I read this article in the Toronto Star today:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1150927811086

Marian Burros recommends Le Creuset (enamelled cast iron) as an alternative to Teflon-coated pans. Has anyone tried this type of cookware? Results?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

We've had enamelled cast iron growing up and I seem to recall that it can stain or chip.
I'm sure what we had was a cheaper version of Le Creuset, maybe that brand woud be better.
Oh yeah, it's heavy too.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:59 pm 

Helen wrote:

Marian Burros recommends Le Creuset (enamelled cast iron) as an alternative to Teflon-coated pans. Has anyone tried this type of cookware? Results?

Le Creuset is big in Europe. It's in all the high-end shops in London. I was tempted to buy some of their pans but they are really really expensive. Actually, you just gave me an idea to look them up and see how much they are in Canada. Hopefully they'll be a lot cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:08 pm 

I found the Canadian website: http://www.lecreuset.com/canada/

They are relatively new in Canada. I did a search for Ontario and there are 10 stores that carry their products. I don't know how much they sell for here. I may pop into one of their Ontario or Quebec stores and check them out.

The UK has an online contest to win £1,000 worth of Le Creuset products. I entered the contest! :D

There's more complete info on the UK site: http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/home/home.asp

I found this website with some prices: http://caplanduval2000.com/canada/
Enter Le Creuset in the Search Product Base. A bit cheaper than in the UK but not by much. :( I noticed there's a factory outlet in Portsmouth, which is less than an hour from London. I'll check it out next time.

Thanks for reminding me about this, Helen.

Last edited by Storm on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:23 pm 

Oh, I love my Le Creuset. But they are heavy. This is one of the reasons I like them. The large pot does not burn my red beans and rice, and the smaller ones do not burn sauces. And the food stays hot longer while you're eating dinner, in case you might want seconds. :wink:

We have several outlets in the States that have Le Creuset stores. I have found no imperfections in my cookware, but it was significantly cheaper than a retail store.

Of course, now that I have the dark green set, they have come out with a new lemongrass color. Hubby was all for getting the first set, but I don't think I can talk him into another.

And I use a Lodge cast iron skillet for frying chicken and making gravy. Couldn't do without it.

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:29 pm 

Thanks, everyone! I currently have one largish frying pan which is non-stick and isn't supposed to have Teflon...it is titanium clad. I bought it at Allergy Expo...and it was very expensive...$300.00 I think it was. It looks to me that the company might have gone out of business or something....the website was down the last time I checked..which isn't a good sign. I *love* the pan though. I cook everything with it--meat, veggies. I even use it for my special non-allergenic gluten free desserts and flatbread.....which really stick if I use glass or corningware!

But eventually, I'll want to have more than one pan....and
aside from this company at AllergyExpo, Le Creuset is the first one I've heard of with a non stick, non-Teflon coating.

Daisy, are your Le Creuset pans as nonstick as Teflon? And can they be transferred from the stovetop to the oven? (2 important points for me in cookware)

This stuff is expensive, but if it lasts forever, it is probably a good investment. (of course, I'm not sure *how* expensive we're talking about here...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:02 pm 

You guys have really intrigued me with this cookware!! Can anyone tell me how expensive we're talking (in Cdn dollars?)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:59 pm 

I was intrigued as well. I found that canadian $ info at

http://www.caplanduval2000.com/le_creuset.html

Click on the can $, by the pan you are interested in.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:53 pm 

Thanks, everyone. This is a group research effort! My mom wants one of these pans now, and I forwarded all the links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:14 pm 

You can get a few La Creuset items as Air Miles rewards. They just have a kettle, a 3.3L "round French oven," and a neat casserole dish shaped like a pepper.
www.airmiles.ca
(I think you have to log in to view the rewards. I just searched "creuset.")

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:58 pm 

Yes, the prices listed look to be about the same as retail here in the States.

Helen,
None of the pans I have are the non-stick interior. My Dutch oven, oval and round covered pots can all go into the oven. The rangetop pots ( I call them "boilers") have a black handle, and are not recommended for oven use. The LeCreuset frying pan I have is not non-stick, but I have not had a problem with it when using it for sauteing. But I think the new non-stick pan looks great! I also have a couple of large stock-pots. These are not cast iron, but are enameled. Great for soups, but I prefer to make chili or red beans and rice in the heavier Dutch oven.

Do you have any outlet malls in Canada?

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:20 pm 

Daisy, Thanks for the info. I'll let my mom know that you're really happy with the pans--she is keen on buying some...although I think she'll just get the non stick pan. (I'll probably get one when I finish school and get employment.) We do have outlet stores...and areas where there are a lot of outlet stores...but I'm not aware of any large outlet shopping malls...actually, i'm not aware of any outlet stores that sell cookware (but there must be some?)

I'd kind of doubt that we'd find Le Creuset pans in outlet stores since they don't seem to be sold very many places even in Toronto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:58 am 

Isn't there some kind of warning about Teflon pans and small birds? Something about the fumes having the potential to kill canaries and budgies? Sounds like the proverbial canary in a coal mine to me. If it's not healthy for these little guys, it can't be great for humans either, especially little ones. :x

Storm, I went on the Le Creuset website and there are actually 72 stores that sell their products in Ontario. When you search by province, it will give you 10 stores at a time. Click on "Next results" to get the next 10 stores.

I don't know how new they are in Canada, because I remember thinking about buying them maybe 10 years ago.

Isn't the big mall in Vaughan an outlet mall? How about the ones in St. Jacob and Barrie?

There's also the outlet mall on Military Road in Buffalo, which is I believe a "Canadian" outlet mall! :lol: I was there recently but to tell you the truth, I was only shopping for clothes and did not look at cookware, so I can't remember.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:04 pm 

Nicole, yes, I've heard about the birds.....if the pan gets too hot and birds are around they die. Some people think the pans are safe as long as they aren't left on the hot stove without any food in them....but still I think it is better to err on the side of caution especially with that new study where they measured the types of chemicals and carcinogens in kids and found that the chemical in teflon coatings was actually found in the body. Perhaps that chemical was from other sources (and there are a lot of potential sources of it). The company making Teflon claims that any chemicals from the pan would pass through the digestive system.... But if not bad for our health, teflon pans are bad for the environment when discarded.

I wasn't aware of the shopping centres in the cities you mentioned...I guess my shopping experience is pretty much limited to Toronto and to the region where I grew up.