Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:20 pm 

Hello Everyone:

I am a mom expecting our 3rd child in October. My oldest daughter is 5 years old and she has asthma, eczema and severe allergies to dairy, nuts, eggs, wheat, oats, barley, dogs, cats, horses, codeine, penecillin, strawberries, kiwi and who knows what may come up next. We found out about her dairy allergy when she was 3months old and I was breast feeding her. She developed eczema and had blood in her stools. As a new parent and at that time living 2000 miles away from any family, we had no clue what was going on. When she was 10 months old we took her to an Allergist and had skin tests done along with a RAST test. She was diagnosed with most of the above allergies listed and then the rest were fromintroducing new foods. She was very petit and was tested for all kinds of other diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis because of her failure to thrive. She developed severe asthma shortly after that and was hospitalized a few times.

It was a very fustrating time for both my husband and myself and we felt that we were the only ones with this situation. It is nice to know that there are other families out there going through the same thing. We went through family members dismissing the severity of these allergies, to family members being "scared" to be alone with her (just in case something happened).

Last year we moved back to Sudbury Ontario where all our family lives. I would like to know if there is any other families in the Sudbury area that have a child around 5 years of age with food allergies, eczema and asthma. I like to learn more about recipes that I can use and different products on the market so I can give her a variety of different foods.

Jayme just finished Junior Kindergarten at a great school that has been extremely supportive of her situation. She is growing and thriving with her peers and all of her cousins. We celebrated her birthday with a Rice flour cake and the fact that she reached 30 lbs.

For the record, my youngest daughter who is 2 has shown no signs of allergies, eczema or asthma. (knock on wood) and she is a whopping 27 lbs. Let's hope baby #3 will be the same and if not at least we are well prepared!!!

Thanks again and I look forward to new information and articles.

Sherrie
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:39 pm 

Welcome, Sherrie. Sounds like you've been through a lot with your first. But it's great to hear that your 2nd child is okay. I hope things work out well with your next child, too.

Our son's allergy journey also began with blood in his stools while breastfeeding. We're actually still bf'g, now that I've removed his (known & suspected) allergens from my diet. He's had RAST and skin tests, both of which revealed his peanut allergy but missed his egg one (ana. reaction revealed that one).

I'm not in the Sudbury area, but via email/this forum perhaps I can share some recipes, etc. The shopping section of the forum is great for learning about new products.

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have an Allergist in Sudbury? They would be able to direct you to any local support groups.
In the mean time, welcome!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:47 am 

Hi, and welcome. :D Sorry about your little one. There are lots of parents here in the same sort of situation you are, and I hope you find answers and support. My son also has milk allergy, and I have a whole host of allergies like your daughter. Hopefully she will outgrow them, which is always a posiblity. :)

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:55 am 

Hi Sherrie - I'm glad you found us here. You sure have a lot to deal with, and I sympathize.

We have had to avoid almost all those allergens through the years, with the exception of oats and the fruit. My youngest had severe eczema when he was younger and was allergic to wheat and barley (along with dairy, egg, peanut, and nuts) for the first part of his life. He outgrew wheat at around age 3, and barley at around age 4. Now he's fine with both, so there is hope. The allergies seem to have stabilized for now, and his asthma is under control with the help of our great allergist and a Certified Asthma Educator (through The Lung Association). He is also severely allergic to dogs and cats, and we pretty much keep him away from all animals. (It's so funny to see it all in print, because he looks like such a happy healthy little kid!!)

I will try to post some wheat-free (and other allergen-free) recipes in the next few days. Unfortunately a lot of my recipes also called for oats, so it might be limited, but I do have a number of things that I don't think have oats in them, including a good wheat-free flour mixture that I used a lot for muffins, cookies, etc.

According to the Anaphylaxis Support Group page ( http://www.anaphylaxis.ca/content/progr ... t_list.asp ), there is a support group in Sudbury:

Sudbury Anaphylaxis Education Association
Sudbury, Ontario
Contact Catherine: catherine.matheson@greatersudbury.ca

Hopefully that will prove to be of some help as well.

K.

P.S. You can learn more about my kids and the super heros they have created at www.epi-man.com . It's been a way for us to try to find the positive in allergies and do some advocating work as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:37 pm 

Hi Sherri, I'm dealing with a lot of the same dietary restrictions as well (as you can see from my signature). I can have dairy, but my sisters can't so I've made dairy free recipes as well. Do you eat millet and tapioca starch? I could post my favourite flatbread recipe if you're interested.

Another suggestion: I use a coffee grinder to grind grains to make porridge. There is commercially prepared rice porridge available, but it is kind of expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:31 am 

Hi! I'm new here! My name's Sarah! I have a daughter. Her name is Eli and when she was only 5 months old she nearly died of an allergy to a medecine the doctor had given her. Ever since then she's been developping allergies to more and more things like arachides would make her lips swell and sometimes she can't breathe, contact with dust gives her eczema, mosquito stings too, fish and crustaceans can easily kill her because of the mercury they contain etc. So I'm glad I found a forum where I can find how other people endure those crisis cause sometimes I just don't know what to do! Well then! See you on the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:06 pm 

Starlight wrote:
more things like arachides ........, fish and crustaceans can easily kill her because of the mercury they contain

Hi Starlight, and welcome to the board. Gotta ask - are you french?

Also, is your daughter allergic to mercury, or do you mean the in general mercury is in fish and children shouldn't eat it?

Anna