You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:36 pm 

Anybody have any positive experiences with restos in Montreal which have been sympathetic to your needs?

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:57 pm 

Sorry this reply is a bit late. I just joined the board! :D

I had a positive experience at Mike's restaurant in RDP. My son is allegic to nuts and peanuts. He ordered the children's meal that came with an ice cream dessert. We always decline any desserts in restaurants because it is always so hard to know which ice cream they use, etc. We'll only eat Chapman's.... Anyway, I told the waitress that we wouldn't be having the dessert (I think it was some kind of popsicle) because of my son's allergies. She wanted to be sure that the dessert was indeed peanut/nut-free so my son could enjoy the treat so she offered to go into the kitchen and get the box so I could see the name of the manufacturer and read the list of ingredients for myself. Sure enough, it wasn't Chapman's and it had the "may contain..." message so I pointed this out to her. But my point is that the waitress went out of her way to try to accommodate us. And I like to think that she also learned a lot about what a peanut/nut allergy truly is. The product doesn't have to be covered with nuts and peanuts to contain them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:24 pm 

Thanks Storm.

I also had a pretty good experience with this restaurant back when I trusted eating at restaurants. They were quite professional when I called them to ask about their ingredients.

I only wish people would realize how much money could be made from a allergy-friendly restaurant.

I heard that Le Piment Rouge is nut free as one of the owner's family members has nut allergies. Not sure if this is true though.

Thanks again!
TMcG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:35 am 

Best thing to do is call and ask if you really want to eat out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:44 pm 

Yeah.. I'm too freaked out to eat in restos. Better to be safe. It is so hard to keep tabs on what goes on in any kitchen other than my own.

Thanks for the input.

TMcG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:04 pm 

We get together with my husband's family about twice a year in Montreal, and before the allergies it was usually at a restaurant. We've been doing it at family homes for awhile, but I am starting to think that a restaurant would be a nice change.

What is Le Piment Rouge like? Would it be suitable for a family gathering?

Any thoughts on how it would handle a dairy allergy? I'm just doing research. I'm not sure I will ever be ready for a restaurant... but I thought I'd ask.

Any other Montreal restaurants out there that are allergy friendly? That have been trained by the AQAA maybe?

Thanks!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:42 pm 

I can tell you one restaurant that is NOT allergy friendly... it's Bentley's in Laval (just north of Montreal). I noticed a peanut shell on the ground in the parking lot so I left my PA son in the car with my friends and went in to inquire. I was told that yes, they do have peanuts at the bar. Then another waiter came by and interrupted the conversation stating that they do not use peanut oil (I wasn't even asking... actually I was getting ready to leave). I didn't wish to bother explaining why I didn't want to eat there... the second waiter seemed so offended. As I was walking away, he shouted to me "they have peanuts at Loblaw's too!" (meaning that I was being paranoid.... if I buy my groceries at Loblaw's, I should be willing to eat at their restaurant). What an idiot! I was so shocked I just looked back at him and gave him a dirty look. In hindsight, I should have walked back to him and explained the issues of cross-contamination.

So, if the peanuts at the bar aren't reason enough to stay away from Bentley's rest assured that some of the waiters are complete morons! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:44 pm 

Can you tell I just got back from Montreal? :)

We went to Le Keg in Old Montreal and we had a great experience with the food and staff.

Again, Mike's was a positive experience as well. The waitress went to ask the chef about the pizza and I was told that they make their own dough in the restaurant (with no nuts and peanuts). It's always nice to deal with restaurant staff who are allergy aware and offer information. Then you can make the choice if you want to eat at their establishment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:03 pm 

Wow, you're right Storm - that waiter was "special". Even if he took personal offence that someone wouldn't want to eat in 'his' restaurant, there is absolutely no reason to shout at a potential customer. Very unprofessional.

I'm sure the management wouldn't be impressed with that behaviour either.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:13 pm 

Thanks Karen. I've been posting my review/comments on all the Laval restaurant websites I could find. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:17 pm 

Did you consider phoning the restaurant? It's too bad you didn't get his name... that would have been very effective. I find it's a nice way to make people realize that they are behaving badly - asking what their name is. They never quite know what you are going to do with the information.

If you do contact the restaurant, don't forget to mention the AL forum and the tens of thousands of visits we get each year from people who can spread the word about establishments -- good and bad. :)

K.