You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:38 am 

As of June 19 all products produced by Stoney Creek are Peanut & Nut Free.

Here's the link to their page stating that:
http://www.stoneycreekdairy.com/allergen.htm

They are recommending that you don't buy their product though until you see the new packaging just to be sure, but they're using the old packaging until it runs out. I would think this would be the same then for the Masters Choice brand as well. Hopefully it won't take long to get through their old packaging!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:07 am 

That didn't take very long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:20 pm 

WONDERFUL news about Stoney Creek Dairy!!! This must mean the location where you can buy an ice cream cone in Stoney Creek will also be peanut/nut free?! (Stoney Creek is near Niagara Falls, for those not familiar with this area of the world). My husband's home town is Stoney Creek, and we drive by that way quite often on our way to Niagara Falls, so we will definitely stop in for an ice cream! Yahoo! I've just sent an email off to Stoney Creek dairy, because I would like to confirm their ice cream shop will also be peanut/nut free.

Thanks for sharing this info Mygirlsyd!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:59 am 

Since I don't have cute emoticons liike AnnaMarie, I have to say it: I applaud that decision!

A lot of little ice cream stands sell Stoney Creek too, so hopefully it will be safe to buy ice cream cones there, except perhaps if they make sundaes and banana splits and have containers of peanuts lying around.

I will still be loyal to Chapman's but it's nice to have other flavour choices. :D

(Ice cream is a food group at our house! ) :lol:

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:41 am 

I agree with Nicole. I will remain true to Chapman's - but it's always nice to have choices.

Does anyone know how far Stoney Creek is available? Chapman's has expanded their area over the years, but I don't think it's available on the west coast, and I have no idea about the east coast either actually. I'm just wondering if Stoney Creek will be available to people can't purchase Chapmans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:12 pm 

Stoney Creek scoop shop will NOT be peanut/nut free. Here's the emailed response I received from them this morning:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about our products. While our ice cream producing facility is Peanut Free - our Dairy Bar is not, like many other ice cream scoop shops they have nut toppings. The ice cream that you can buy in the grocery store is peanut free - please watch the labels as there may be product made before the change over, however while the ice cream we currently make for ice cream scoop shops is made in the same facility - once it leaves our control we cannot make any guarantees how it is handled by the end users i.e.: the cross contamination with allergens.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:19 pm 

Julie - I've heard of other ice cream shops (perhaps from a thread about Disney on this forum??? but maybe not) will actually wash the scoop, open a new container of icecream and open a new package of cones if you tell them you're allergic. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that but some people have different comfort levels.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:52 pm 

I went to my local Sobey's today and they still have the old Stoney Creek ice cream obviously, because they had a flavour with p.b., a maple and walnut flavour and a pralines and cream flavour.

I hope that the changeover means they will be eliminating these flavours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:52 pm 

I found Tofutti cutties at my A&P tonight! I was very pleased and thanked the grocery manager and asked if they would bring in some of the ice cream. I guess they are trying to fill the gap left by Chapman's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:19 pm 

katec, just in case you don't see my other post, I'll mention this here too:
I've heard that tofutti makes peanut flavoured treats as well. One parent reported on peanutallergy.com that her child had a reaction. So it might be a good idea to call them to check....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:45 pm 

Just wanted to post here as well -- was in a Dominion's the other weekend and noticed that their Equality brand ice cream now states "peanut and nut free".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:44 pm 

I wanted to add that dh came home yesterday and told me they have some really interesting flavours. "chocolate & cherry" and something with cookies in it. He named off a few, but i can't remember them. The kind of flavours I tend to not even look at because I get jealous. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:27 am 

I still see Stoney Creek ice cream flavours with peanut butter and walnuts.

I simply don't understand though that their website still states that they are now peanut/nut free if they still sell these flavours. Are these old stocks? Sheesh, would that mean it's been sitting in the store freezer for months? Or they still sell nutty flavours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:01 pm 

After I posted, I emailed Stoney Creek and here is the reply I got (very quick reply I might add):

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Stoney Creek Dairy ice cream. We are a Peanut and Nut Free facility the Maple Walnut and Pralines & Cream that are available in the grocery stores were made prior to our change in status. At the present time our packaging has not changed to reflect our status. We do however produce under the Equality & Master Choice labels and these products do reflect the change in status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:36 pm 

Thanks Nicole. It if ever gets warm enough to go to a store I might buy some. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next