You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:10 pm 

Three months ago I started developing a reaction to milk and cheese products. I asked my Doctor if it was lactose intolerant but he said no, because he says cheese does not contain lactose. He basically said just avoid dairy for awhile and take calcium supplements.

I've done some research on the internet to find out what foods contain milk ingredients, and have been monitoring my reactions to these foods. I can't eat anything with milk, cheese, margarine, or anything that contains milk ingredients or even traces of milk ingredients for example: breads, buns, baked goods, chocolate, soups, sauces, gravy, breaded chicken strips, and many more items that I didn't even know had milk ingredients in them. I also can't eat anything that contains whey or whey powder (I understand whey is a milk protein)

I've switched to Soy milk, Rice milk, and soy cheese - the soy cheese has casein which I understand to be a milk protein, but so far I'm ok with casein, I just can't have anything with whey.

I've tried the Dairy Aid, but although it seems to work at first, I still have reactions to milk products. I get severe stomach pains and diarrhea. And I seem to be getting more and more sensitive to trace amounts. A couple of days ago I went into an itching frenzy after eating spaghetti sauce with traces of milk ingredients (forgot to check the ingredient list beforehand). I didn't realize any connection, but I've had an itchy scalp and itchy ears for over a year now, and now I've noticed that seems to be subsiding since I've been avoiding milk products.

I'm 40 years old and already have environmental allergies (trees, dust mites, cats, dogs, weeds, smoke, perfumes), and last year I had an allergic reaction to Penicillan. My doctor thinks allergy testing is inconclusive, but I'm thinking I should force the issue and be tested for food allergies now. Any suggestions, comments??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:24 pm 

My suggestion - find a new doctor fast. Of course cheese contains milk protein. Get to an allergist and get diagnosed. Testing can be conclusive once you look at your history, skin testing and RAST tests. Sorry I do not have a lot of time to respond further. We have been dealing with our daughter's milk, egg and peanut allergies for 3 years not. Keep reading and find a good doctor. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:14 am 

I'd also suggest staying away from milk and getting yourself to an allergist. From what I've heard (and I'm not entirely sure about this) *some* people with lactose intolerance can't have cheese depending on how sensitive they are to lactose---I think it does have traces of lactose in it. But I'd definitely say that it sounds like you have an allergy since you react to the milk with the lactase in it. Also, itching is a symptom of allergy rather than lactose intolerance. Does your doctor know about that reaction? I can see him/her thinking that digestive troubles might be lactose intolerance, but itching!? Good luck with this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:52 pm 

I went back to the doctor and insisted on a referral for food allergy testing. He now agrees based on my symptoms that it sounds like a milk allergy, as I'm reacting to everything which contains milk ingredients or even traces - which he suggests would be an allergy to the protiens in milk.

My appt with the allergist isn't until Feb, so until then I'm just avoiding all milk products or anything that even suggests it might contain milk ingredients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/misc/m ... utout.html
:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:46 am 

Well, I saw the allergist...allergy test was negative for milk allergy. Doctor says milk allergy only shows up in infants/children, does not suddenly show up in adults.

So according to doctors, it's not lactose intolerance...and it's not a milk allergy.

So I still don't know the answer....but I'm continuing to avoid dairy/milk ingredients because my system is still rejecting foods that contain milk ingredients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:52 am 

It's confusing--those allergy tests aren't always accurate. + they only test for IgE mediated reactions. As far as I know, anyone can develop an allergy to anything at any time.

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:49 pm 

Did you see my previous allergist? :lol: He believed that only infant had milk allergies... anyone over 5 would not have a milk allergy! :evil: I had pretty good reactions while I was under his care but still he didn't believe... of course, it was not anaphylaxis! But about a year later, I heard a women in another doctor's office's waiting room and she was talking to her friend (couldn't help but listen :oops: ) and she was talking about that same allergist I saw.... well she came to the hospital with anaphylaxis and she said it was milk, he said no and scheduled her for a challenge the next week. Guess what: she had an anaphylactic reaction from drinking her first sip of milk!!!! He still said it was from something she ate before she got there :shock: ... she never wants to see him again!!!! (he's the one that convinced me anaphylaxis to the smell didn't exist until I proved him wrong... at least with me he admitted it!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Regardless of what anyone says, if you react; don't eat the food.
Tests are not always accurate, people are not always as knowledgeable as they shoud be (or think they are). Your body will not lie.

Post subject: Update...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:58 pm 

It's been a year of dealing with symptoms after eating or mistakenly eating foods with milk ingredients, and I'm now totally convinced I have a milk/dairy allergy. I avoid dairy products and any foods that contain traces of milk ingredients, but on occasion I had taken an allergy tablet (Claritan) to avoid a reaction when eating out. A couple of weeks ago, I took an allergy tablet so I could have some nachos with sour cream and regular cheese - I knew it was a big risk. I paid for it the next morning when I woke up with hives on my neck and upper chest - I thought the allergy tablet would work, but it didn't! Breaking out in hives was the last straw - no more experimenting!! Now I'm really, really careful.

To add to my story, my 18 year old daughter has developed the same sensitivity over the past couple of months to dairy and any foods that contain milk ingredients. Hers isn't quite as bad, mostly stomach aches and diarhea, no hives yet, but Dairy Aid for lactose intolerance doesn't work for her either.

Needless to say, both my daughter and I have dramatically changed our eating habits as there are so many foods we can no longer consume (we read the labels on everything!). The good news is we are eating much healthier now, and even my daughter who used to be a junk food addict is learning to eat and enjoy healthier food choices now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:48 am 
Site Admin

You know, you don't need a prescription to get an EpiPen.
You might concider having one "just in case".
Mention your symptoms to your Dr ask to be referred to another. Don't give up until you get the answers you need.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:36 pm 

Wow that's really scary! My boss had that problem with milk she's break out into hives all the tiem and stuff, and I used to give her poop for it all the time cause I'd find her sneaking onto front line and stealing chocolate milk boxes! I'd be like you are ALLERGIC to milk! Stop that you're going to kill yourself one of these days!

But I don't understand your allergist saying that you cannot develop an allergy as an adult. Again most of my personal knowledge is in envirornmental allergies, but isn't it the nature of an allergy (as well as an intollerance) to be able to develop at any point in your life, as well as to disappear at another stage of life?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:10 pm 

An allergy can start at any time in life. Children with allergies do tend to outgrow them by a certain age, but it's not a given. And my allergist told me that children with multiple food allergies tend to not outgrow their allergies. Those with only one allergy have a better chance of outgrowing it - but it's not guaranteed.

Some people have allergies all their lives, starting from infancy. Some outgrow them. Some people's allerges get worse with age while others' get better. Some people develop allergies later in life. That is the "fun" part about allergies: there is no clearcut answer about if or when they will go away, or when they will start.

And anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is misinformed.

Reference: http://www.acaai.org/public/advice/foods.htm

Quote:
Why me? Why have I developed food allergy?
Heredity seems to be the prime reason some people have allergies and others don't. If both your parents have allergies, you have approximately a 75 percent chance of being allergic. If one parent is allergic, or you have relatives on one side with allergies, you have a 30 to 40 percent chance of developing some form of allergy. If neither parent has apparent allergy, the chance is 10 to 15 percent.

Although food allergy occurs most often in infants and children, it can appear at any age and can be caused by foods that had been previously eaten without any problems. Finally, excessive exposure to a particular food may affect the overall rate of allergy to that food, as testified to by the high prevalence of fish allergy among Scandinavians and of rice allergy among the Japanese.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:15 pm 

Giving up favourite foods can be very difficult - but there are many great nondairy substitutes our family has found. Check the other posts in this strand on dairy allergies. If you have a craving for sour cream try the Tofutti non dairy sour cream. It is very good - really!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:15 am 

Cheese does contain lactose. My husband is very lactose intolerant and reacts to small amounts of dairy, but reacts badly to cheese.
You sound like youi are allergi to milk. You get itchy rashes and stuff. That happens with an allergy, not an intolerance.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish