You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:11 am 

At Walmart ?! Thats exciting! I have been unable to find any nature clean products in my city. I will check my walmart next time I go.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:36 am 

I only saw the "health and beauty" natural products in their pharmacy dept. (only a small section, but still I was impressed!) I can't speak for the household cleaning products...but that would be fantastic too! I'll have to take a gander the next time I'm at Walmart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:58 pm 

Hey thanks! I definitly will try that out. Maybe my health food store has it. If not I will order it online. I hate those fake fragrances they put in everything. They smell aweful and make my throat hurt. Even walking down those aisels at the grocery store makes my asthma flare up, and I get headaches too. :/

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:13 am 

Can anyone recommend an effective "natural" mosquito/bug repellant for kids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:51 pm 

I just saw a post on another allergy board about "Cutter Advanced" repellant using picaridin. It's been in use in Europe for a while, so it has a good track record. Supposed to cause much less skin irritation than DEET.
The biggest plus for me is that it is supposed to be almost odorless. (I can't stand any added fragrances; can smell them a mile away even with a stuffy nose. :wink: ) It doesn't have any other additives, just the picaridin and ethanol.
I will be trying some this weekend. Anyone else tried this yet?
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:33 pm 

I found this the other day, click on the buzz away picture

http://www.quantumhealth.com/

We have the regular spray one. Some of the other products contain soy and lecithin (which could be soy or egg...the source is not listed).

I tried it today on myself. It was a little oily at first, not a lot, and it did smell nice and lemony. The bug protection was good. I have not tried it on the kids yet.

Regular bug sprays tend to irritate my youngests skin. We had been wearing thin cotton clothes outside and spraying the clothes rather than her...but that does not work well in hotter temperatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:57 pm 

I'm trying to find products w/ fewer ingredients. Less chance of a reaction. I'm afraid some of the "natural" oil extracts might cause an allergic reaction for me.
I work in a lab, and don't react to some of the organic chemicals (formalin, alcohols, etc...) It's always the natural stuff that gets me! :?

Of course, Saskmommy, I'll use your method for testing the new repellant....1st a small dab on my ankle, then perhaps a bit more if I don't react. 8)

BTW, have you tried Seventh Generation products? They actually list the ingredients on the label. Good cleaner. They have dye-free products. My dishwashing liquid has a very light citrus scent. (Didn't remember if your daughters were allergic to citrus.)

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:55 pm 

For those avoiding deet and/or citronella in their bug repellants, I came across "Swat Cream" by Origin BioMed at my local health food store. A Herbal-based Topical Vitamin Cream.

http://www.originbiomed.com/pages/swat_cream.html

Ingredients on the bottle read: water, modified cellulose, thiamine HCL, vanillin, zinc sulfate, catnip oil, sorbic acid, polysorbate 80, peppermint oil, vitamin E.
It does have a pleasant fragrance - a cross between peppermint and vanilla. Haven't tried it yet, so not sure how effective but will be bringing it camping, so we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:15 pm 

thanks for posting--let us know how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:11 pm 

Ethansmom,

I actually heard lately that catnip oil is VERY effective for keeping away mosquitos. I'll keep my eye out for that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 pm 

I'll let you all know about the bug cream once we've gone camping.
I thought I'd also mention a new deodorant I picked up. It's really effective for an "all natural" deodorant - I can honestly say that their claim that it gives 24 hour protection is true. It goes on a little sticky but once it dries, it's fine. It's made by The Green Beaver Company. http://www.greenbeaver.com/en/naturaldeodorant.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:58 pm 

I tried that brand too! I also use the grapefruit face cleanser....I just love the name of the company.

Which deodorant did you try? I've been using the tea tree oil one. I've found it to be effective, but I think it irritates my skin. (skin is red and sore in spots)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:11 pm 

I'm using the "wild yam" one. I thought it an odd choice for a deodorant scent - but it's not bad (not sure I can really smell yams though :lol:) I've heard tea tree products can be irritating because it's supposed to be an astrigent - no probs with the wild yam. I just can't say enough about it and I'm telling every woman I know!!! In the past I've gone through soooo many different brands of natural deodorant, I'd just about given up finding one that could last through a hot summer day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:48 am 

Will have to try it!

I still haven't figured out what other brand the clerk at the Big Carrot told me people rave about, but it has the same active ingredient as the one that was recommended in the latest AL magazine. (don't have my copy with me right now...think it was sphagnum moss or something)

I've tried Jason tea tree oil before, and I didn't find that one irritating, but perhaps it has something to do with the concentration...or another ingredient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 pm 

Sorry to say but the "Swat Cream" didn't prevent our swatting. The mosquitos drove us abosolutely crazy!! I don't know if it's just because it's apparently been a really bad year for mosquitos or what, but we all got chomped on!