You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:55 pm 

I haven't seen pineapple listed as one commonly linked to OAS, but I often have OAS symptoms when eating fresh pineapple. In the past, I could sometimes eat some and other times it would bother my mouth and throat. Now I don't mess around with OAS anymore and just cook everything---I actually don't buy a lot of pineapple, but I do eat it on occasion either canned or cooked. I can't recall ever having a problem with it cooked. (So basically my point is that I'm not entirely sure, but I think that it is likely that my problem with pineapple is OAS.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:54 am 

My gf has it for Pineapple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:26 pm 

I have it for pineapple too, it's actually my worst on the list. My mom and sister also have it on their list (guess pineapple is genetic in my family ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:56 pm 

Wow, very interesting that others have pineapple on their list of allergens! We were already certain our son was allergic to pineapple, but had the skin test done to confirm. When he was skin tested for pineapple, we had to bring in the fresh pineapple, and he had a huge reaction. The clinic staff were amazed at his reaction, and said it is very unusual to react to pineapple. This is why I love this chat forum so much - we find each other, and can help each other! Mylene and youngvader's girlfriend - are you anaphylactic to pineapple?? Can you eat the tinned form or fruit juice? Oh, probably not the fruit juice as it's probably not cooked. We avoid any fruit juices that contain pineapple - do you do the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:54 pm 

Actually, I do recall having problems with the canned pineapple before....but the last several times I had pineapple I had fresh, cooked pineapple and it was fine. This doesn't make very much sense---I would think that the canned stuff is heated to a high temperature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:02 pm 

I'm not anaphylactic to it... it just bothers me a lot! It is my worst on the list of oral allergy syndrom (kiwi's worst, but it's not oral allergy, it's actual allergy...). When I am really sensitive, I react to canned, juices (pasteurized too...) and I've actually been avoiding it totally now. But for all my other oral allergy syndrom (which is most fruits), I can eat cooked and canned without much problem... but I have to wear gloves if I need to cut them or peel them for process them.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:00 am 

I have had my tongue split open in several areas and it won't completely heal as I have many antibiotic allergies-we did a mouth rinse that I spit out but didn't close the splits so I have that and my inside of my mouth feels like its shredding on my cheeks when I eat certain things--I have started to microwave apples to eat so I can have some fruit--no more fresh veggies, all frozen--I miss salads and coleslaws-I was becoming a very healthy eater and then it all had to change-it is frustrating how allergies inter connect-cross reactions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:35 pm 

Ouch. Sounds painful. Do cooked vegetables bother you too? For a long time, I stopped eating green leafy vegetables (I ate broccoli--but I didn't have salad) because cooked spinach bothers my throat slightly and I can't have lettuce uncooked. But then it dawned on my that I could steam or stir-fry the lettuce leaves and I also tried cooking kale and chard. Cooked lettuce leaves are okay---I can eat it but I don't love it. I do recommend kale--I think kale and chard are more vitamin packed anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:00 pm 

I am now just eating frozen vegetables and I microwave my apples so I can have fruit-I plan to see a nutritionist on some ides on other ways to eat cooked fruit and better my diet with this recent lost of fresh veggies and fruit--Our selection of organic fruit and veggies is growing in our community but I can't seem to get an answer if they are treated with sulphites--President choice did say the sulphites in their organic line are natural-I ate skittles the other night and it peeled the inside of my cheek and I had raw spots that were bleeding-no more skittles-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:19 am 

I was diagnosed with OAS a couple years ago.
I've always noticed burning lips with certain fruits growing up but i just shrugged it oof as having dry lips. I'm REALLY glad ther's a post for OAS because even though my allergist talked about it with me, I never see information on it! And it is impossible to describe it to people without getting odd looks or being told you're weird! I know that a lot of people have it because a lot of people are allergic to ragweed and birch like me.
I actually tested 2+ for carrots on my last skin test and i can't eat them unless their cooked to the point that i can squash them with a fork. The only fruits and veggies that i can eat raw are broccoli, cauliflower, red grapes (only about a handful though) and strawberries (thank goodness!).
I've sometimes reacted to canned fruits too but not severely. I talked to a nutritionist and she recommended apple sauce and Fruit-To-Go.

Caroline

Post subject: OAS and baby carrots
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:11 am 

My son has anaphylaxis to treenuts, shellfish, fish, crustations, coconut and palm. He also tested pos. to egg. He has not been officially diagnosed with OAS, but he gets itchy, swollen lips, and he says his throat "burns" with most fruits and veg. He is able to eat only the following cooked fruits/veg.: Broccoli, potatoes, tomato sauce, frozen corn (corn on the cob causes symptoms), a few yellow beans. Uncooked foods include the following: cucumber(skin removed), watermelon (one slice only- he limits himself because more than one slice burns his throat--he is six years old) He can eat cooked carrots or raw large carrots, but the baby carrots always cause him to have oral symptoms as well as sometimes vomiting. Apples, maple cause more severe reactions (he tested negative to both). Essentially, he is allergic to every food from trees. Our Allergist told us it is the Birch pollen connection, I have read other information that confirms this. [/b]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:17 am 

I forgot to add Orange/ Citrus juices to the list of fruits that my son can have.

Post subject: OSA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:22 pm 

This is such an interesting post - I just joined the forum a few days ago...

My list of fresh fruits and veggies that bother me:
-Cherries
-Pineapple
-Various apples (different types, different days!)
-Grapes, especially purple ones
-Peaches
-Apricots
-Pears (especially when very raw)
-Bananas (some days!)
-Carrots
-Peas

I'm also ana. to peanuts, tree nuts, and soy. I've been told I test severely allergic to peas and mixed legumes, but it seems more like an OSA reaction to me. I also have the general misery-inducing hay fever - birch and grasses are the worst! Interestingly, on my scratch tests I show up as v. allergic to tomatoes but it's the one fruit that I have never had a problem with!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:01 pm 

Welcome, Karen P and Kels2004.

Kels, I reacted to tomato on the scratch test too! But I can't have them raw.

Karen,

I find that very interesting that your son reacts to the baby carrots. I was noticing that too! I can generally have cooked carrots, but I do react if the carrots are very ripe and I noticed that cooked baby carrots are particularly a problem. I actually asked my allergist about this, and he said that all carrots are the same.

But I really don't think so. I wonder how baby carrots are processed. One thing I did read: ethylene gas (which makes fruit and possibly veggies ripen) makes proteins more allergenic . ... or increases the number of allergenic proteins. . . or something like that (if you are interested in the reference, I could dig it up for you)

I wonder if ethylene gas is added to baby carrots . . . or whether a preservative is added or what. There's definitely something different about them.

I'd be careful about the OAS symptoms . . . OAS can cause anaphylaxis. I know a lot of people who have trouble with melon (cross reacts with ragweed).

I also sometimes had trouble with corn on the cob . . . there were times when I wouldn't eat it at all (when my throat got more itchy) . . . times when I'd have my mom give me just 1/2 of a cob . . . and times when I'd have one cob. Everyone else would get to have two. Now I react to corn period. I think the worsening of the reaction might be related to the fact that I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy and began to eat *tons* of corn---I'd demolish huge bowls of popcorn (which caused hives sometimes, but I ignored them), cooked with corn flour, etc. The last time I had corn I reacted to just a couple of kernals. Had a positive skin prick test too. I've heard of corn allergy, but I haven't heard of corn causing OAS. Maybe your son is slightly allergic?

Post subject: Baby carrots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:11 pm 

Helen, I'd be interested in that research information. My son tested negative to additives and preservatives on skin test, that's why I'm not sure about that aspect with the baby carrots, but, I suppose it may not have been in the test mixture. I have often wondered about the genetic modification to the carrot. The Allergist's statement that carrots are all the same seems strange since apples aren't all the same, I wonder what the allergist meant?. The more I try to figure it out, the more confusing it gets. I do know that most of the foods my son is allergic to contain vitamin A so I wonder if there is a connection there...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next