You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:54 pm 

Hi everyone....Glad I found this place. Just wondering about other people's experience with summer jobs and allergies (peanuts, dairy, etc) . The kind of jobs young teens might be able to pick up during summer months (or part-time during school year) .....Seems so difficult to get work experience as a teen with allergies....in my area jobs are not very plentiful for anyone but for a teen who has food allergies not many possibilities......you know, restaurants, cafe, pizza shops and others are the areas that seems to hire.......kitchen helpers, dishwashers, etc......Of course, I would like to be able to do research or other interesting stuff for summers but would take any entry or labor kind of jobs.....Would like to talk to others in the same situation.....Have always tried not to let my allergies rule my life but attentive to them at the same time of course. This has me feeling left out and my friends are all landing jobs like crazy and me....I am struggling with this right now....Thanks for listening and welcome some comments or help from others ...Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:38 am 
Site Admin

If you look in the Parenting section, you'll find a thread about this topic.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:24 am 

Here's a link to the thread in parents:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1163

You could also check department stores, and dollar or discount stores.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:15 am 

I worked as a cashier in a gift shop . . . I suppose with any job where one comes in contact with the public there is a risk, but at least this job didn't involve food. Good luck with the summer job search!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:24 pm 

Could you advertise your services to babysit allergic kids? I realize it might not be steady work, but I bet there would be parents out there who would be interested. I would - I could offer a safer environment than some (no peanuts/nuts and young kids who understand about allergies and staying safe) and ideally know that the allergic teen would be more knowledgeable about food safety than some.

When I was a teen I worked as an usher at theatres and concert halls and food wasn't allowed. I don't know if a movie theatre would be that safe, but live theatres and concerts halls don't always let food in.

When I was a bit older I got in with various temp agencies and got work in offices that way, but I was a university student at that point...

Good luck!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

I worked in retail shops through high school and early university - sometimes you have to put in a lot of applications to find the stores that need the help. But there are invariably some, especially over the summer and pre-Christmas. My brother with allergies worked for IKEA for years.

Retail teaches you lots of people skills, and there's no food.

Also, office jobs should be manageable. Watch things like Craigslist and newspaper classifieds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:48 am 

I worked at a camp for my later teen years. The camp was completely peanut free and had many dish options at every meal. This does mean letting go of your son/daughter for two months, but to this day I'm a firm believer that a camp job can be the most rewarding summer job you could ever have!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:05 am 

I worked at a state park during my summer vacations. I didn't have food allergies then, but none of my jobs involved food prep. They only did that at the beach house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:54 pm 

Hi Flowergirl,

My daughter is going to look into working at a clothing store. If you're like her and like clothes, it's a good thing or a bad thing: you get your clothes at a discount but you spend all your paycheck!!! :lol:

You could try a video store, book store, public library. How about daytime summercamps?

Good luck.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:54 am 

LIFEGUARDING :)

you breeze through the first aid portion since you already have a key handle on one of the major medical emergencies haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:49 am 

That's a really good idea. My older brother was a lifeguard every summer for years, and he loved that job. He had an amazing amount of first-aid knowledge as well. I just wish my kids liked swimming more...!! (They're still young, though, so maybe they will improve on that front.)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:04 pm 

Along with lifeguarding is swimming instructor.

One of my kids started with that, went on to be pool manager, and worked for the life-saving society teaching first aid, etc. He paid his way through college (twice) doing that kind of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:18 am 

I'm a teen myself and I'm working at a church summer camp. They're very accommodating with my lactose intolerance. They prepare a separate meal and separate snack for me. I also bring my lactose free milk but that's it. Good luck!
P.S. Also I should mention that the camp I work at is peanut and nut free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

You can always work for a call centre setting up interviews, giving telephone surveys etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:37 am 
Site Admin

So what are the working youth up to this summer?

Any problem with food allergies and how were they handled?