You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:51 am 

I know many of you already would have received this from Anaphylaxis Canada too, but for those of you who didn't:

Dear Registrant,

We thought you would like to know about a study being conducted at the McGill University Health Centre in Montreal. Please direct all inquiries to the contact person noted below or forward this message on to others who may be interested. We encourage you to also consult with your own allergist if you have questions about your childs specific situation.

Peanut Registry (database) for Children in Canada

A McGill University Health Centre research team, led by Dr. Rhoda Kagan of the Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology at the Montreal Childrens Hospital and Dr. Ann Clarke of the Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology at the Montreal General Hospital, is interested in learning more about how peanut allergy affects your child or you (if you are under 18 years of age). We wish to invite you to participate in a research study that we are conducting.

To be eligible, individuals should be:
1. Under 18 years of age AND
2. Diagnosed by a physician as having a peanut allergy.

The purpose of this study is to assemble a database (registry) of information on peanut allergic individuals under the age of 18 in Canada. This information will help the research team learn more about the diagnosis, impact and management of peanut allergy.

If you agree to participate, you will be contacted by a member of our research team by mail once a year to invite you to complete questionnaires. These will take no more than 10 minutes to complete. You will be asked questions about accidental exposures to peanut as well as questions about other allergies.

Should you wish to participate in our database and/or require additional information, please contact:

Ms. Claudia Rino
Tel: 1-888-634-9035
Email: Claudia.rino@muhc.mcgill.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:16 pm 

Thanks cdnmama.

If anyone does register, let me know how it goes. I have actually contacted them three times now (but at different contact info), after I found out about the study at the AQAA's annual one-day conference just over a year ago now, and have yet to receive the questionnaire in the mail that they are supposed to send! I guess I first contacted them about 8 months ago. (I'm not patient - just too busy to follow up. ;) )

The last time I called the woman I spoke with said that they hadn't had enough funding to send out the questionnaire, so perhaps they've found more funding for this project recently.

Anyway, perhaps I misinterpreted what they were going to do. Perhaps they don't send the questionnaire right away. But to date, I haven't receive anything, which I find strange.

I will try one more time with this new contact info.... It certainly seems like a worthwhile endeavour!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:48 am 

I received an emailed response (form letter) from Ms. Rino yesterday...for others that might also have sent an email and were waiting for a reply...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:03 am 

I am obviously contacting the wrong people... I will contact Ms. Rino and see if she replies to me. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:11 am 

I received one yesterday, too.

Marla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:29 pm 

See http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... 3935#13935 for an update. The registry has been expanded to include young adults - up to age 25.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:05 am 

I signed us up when it came up last year, and they sent me the questionaire within about 3 weeks, so I would definitely contact them again if I were you, Karen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:05 pm 

Oh - I did - and they sent the survey pretty quickly. :)

K.