You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:16 pm 

I am anaphylactic to peanuts and nuts among other foods, and I would be grateful for any medical information about reactions to the smell of nuts.

I've asked an allergist about whether a reaction to the smell of foods was a possibility, and he told me that there haven't been any definitive studies on the subject.

Although I'm uncomfortable about being around nuts, I don't ask people not to eat nuts around me because I'm not sure whether I have a good medical reason for doing so. It's hard for me to sort this issue out since I do feel sometimes like I'm having a mild reaction, but I'm not certain.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:18 am 

Quote:
Although I'm uncomfortable about being around nuts, I usually don't ask people not to eat nuts around me because I'm not sure whether I have a good medical reason for doing so

I dot. When I was a kid, I remember there was as kid at my school who had to go to the hospital just because someone had open a peanut butter jar. I will have a reaction, not to that extend, to the smell of peanut butter. The smells gets to my throat and I start coughing and gasping. Maybe it's all in my brain like you say, but I'm not taking chances. Anyways, I have found that compare to my elementary or high school years where kids would try to force feed me peanuts to see what would happen, people are very open and informed about it and my co-workers in my last two jobs have gladly commonly decided not to bring any peanuts or peanut butter to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:46 am 

I think your doctor is correct that there have not been any real controlled studies on reactions from touch or smell.

I definitely don't react to the smell of peanuts. When I first developed this allergy I lived off the smell of peanutbutter. (Just for your info - people don't like it when you stick your nose in their peanutbutter. :oops: ) Eventually I had to ban peanuts from my home because one of my kids wasn't careful enough. I think I went through withdrawl symptoms when I couldn't even smell it anymore. :(

Anyway, I can't recall ever reacting to the smell - but I would never knowing go someplace where peanuts or pb were cooking.

And, I think I might have reacted to sesame seeds heating. It was at a time when I was under extreme stress (not allergy related) and I think breathing in the sesame protein was just more then my body could handle at that time. System overload. Under normal circumstances it does not bother me though.

Also, I wanted to comment on this:

Quote:
It's hard for me to sort this issue out since I do feel sometimes like I'm having a mild reaction, but I'm not certain because in my case the 'reaction' might be psychosomatic.

I completely understand what you mean. I've had psychosomatic 'reactions' as well. Mostly when I was new to this allergy life. :roll: I did discover a way to figure out whether the reaction was real or not. (For me it works.) I close my eyes, take a few deep breaths, and try to slow everything down. (My heart often races when I'm having a reaction.) If I can slow down my heart, and even ease the itching - I know that at least some of it is *in my head*. If I cannot take a few deep breaths - it's real. If nothing slows downs, and especially if it increases - it's real. And, if there's any doubt - I treat it as real. I would rather take an unnecessary anti-histamine then wait. Of course, epi is a bit different. I don't want to take epi unnecessarily while my heart is racing.[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:02 pm 

react to the smell of peanut butter. She told me of a patient who would react when the container was opened.
H.

Post subject: psychosomatic reactions?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:23 am 

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:50 am 

From my point of view, it seems to progress because you waited too long, not because you panicked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:38 pm 

Lisa, I do get a racing heart from some reactions. But, when I get into panic mode, I also get that. The difference (in me) is that when it is caused by a reaction I have no control over it. If it is stress that causes it, I can slow it down. I have also had hives and itching that I believe were caused by stress. Things are much better now though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:58 pm 

Hi I am now more sensitive peanut butter.
I went to a meeting and a person made "goodies" and she forgot what they had been made by.with.
Well, I was sitting there and asked if there was peanut butter in the cookies; was told no.
A lady was stuffing one in mouth corrected the Cook
she said yes I forgot.
Well, I had to leave and felt really lightheaded and my asthma was kicking in.
The worse was this was a School Library.
Which has bothered me more because of children and Bill 3

Post subject: Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:15 pm 

I think that everybody reacts differently

Last edited by monty on Sun May 01, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:45 am 

thought I'd edit this one out!

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:48 pm 

Sorry about the way my reply came across. :oops: I Sometimes its hard to believe the lack of education that is offered to people dealing with allergies. Its sad, we are told what we are allergic to and really end up educating ourselves through our own resources and forums such as this one. In fact I feel so sorry for what you and your sister must go through. I believe from my own experience's that the stress factor of knowing the severity of what is happening when you are having a reaction certainly doesnt help matters. Its a really good question and I do wonder if any studies have been done on whether stress actually increases the reaction etc.? I know from the last reaction, I went into anap. shock in no time and the doctors had to work very hard to try and save me etc.. Ever since then, knowing how quick my reactions happen , my anxiety level certainly increases when I am in public because just smelling nuts, peanuts or if some one breathes on me that has eaten them, I have a reaction. I am trying so hard not to be exposed to any allergins because the last reaction happened in my own house with no warning and still remains a mystery as to what caused it. I got itchy feet and legs arms etc. with in no time I was covered with hives and went into full blown anaph. reaction and shock. Not knowing what caused it is what is scary for me because my house is free from all my known allergins. I think that it is normal to experience anxiety when dealing with what we all have to on a daily basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:32 pm 

Monty, That's okay--thanks for the message. :) Virtual conversations can be difficult to gage sometimes--it's hard to read tone.

I agree--it is surprising how little information is sometimes given to people with allergies.

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Lisa
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:24 pm 

Last edited by monty on Sun May 01, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: LIsa
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:37 pm 

At first I was prescribed an Ana-Kit sometime in the early ninetys. I was most grateful when the Epi-Pen became available.

Last edited by monty on Sun May 01, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:26 am 

Just out of curiosity, when did the epipens become available? Maybe I wasn't prescribed one when I was young simply because they didn't exist, and those other kits sound complicated--perhaps they weren't prescribed widely because of that reason.