You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Salt Water and Eczema?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:10 pm 

I am planning on taking my kids to Mantiou Lake, Saskatchewan next week, for the whole week. I am sure most of you know nothing about the lake because I live 2 hours away and knew very little until recently. The lake is naturally way saltier than the ocean. It compares with the dead sea. It has a mineral spa, and the natural waters are suppost to be really good for many skin conditions. The water makes you extremely boyant, so that will be cool too.

So, anyone with experience with eczema and salt water...does it hurt? Does it help? So far my only thought is to make sure her skin is really good before we go (hydracoritsone, reactine).

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:29 am 

I don't really know, but it is my guess that some of those minerals might be beneficial for eczema . .. i seem to recall reading something in AL magazine about the healing effects of silica? maybe it was some other mineral though.

an idea: before going on the trip you could use epsom salts in your girls' bath to see how the salt water affects them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:39 am 

They were fine with salt in the tub. We went there last week and got home today. My girls were in the water (either the lake or indoor heated pool at the spa) and enjoyed it. The first day I was a little concerned, the youngests eczema was quite red in the water...but that disappeared after she showered off. The water REALLY helped her skin. This morning in the pool, she was barely even red at all. My one eczema spot on my hand (mommy is a cronic hand washer) is healed. The lake is unique and has lots of other minerals (silica being one of them). There were lots of people with eczema. One kid was screaming that it hurt. But for some reason my youngest did not really care. I think she just enjoyed the pool since she does not swim very often because chlorine is hard on her skin.

We brought home some pure mineral salt derived from the lake to add to the tub. I was kind of wondering if eczema gets bacteria in it, and makes it hard to heal completely, and if that has anything to do with the recurrant flare ups in the same locations?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:03 pm 

That's great that your daughter's skin cleared up so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:21 am 

We have a swimming pool which uses salt to generate chlorine and it is amazing on skin! The areas that are dry and scaly throughout the dry winter are smooth and silky all summer.

Regular chlorine can cause problems for my daughter but not always and we have not figured out why some are worse than others yet so we have been thrilled with the success of the salt water.