You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:59 pm 

I have quite proudly been living with a 5 1/2 year old boy for three years with peanut and tree nut allergies. Just as I am getting accustomed to what to look for and expect, today he was also diagnosed with a sesame allergy. Lots of the 'safe' sesame products are NOT nutsafe.
I broke the news that McDonald's and Burger King were no longer options. I had NO bread products in the house to feed him today.
Any advice to help stop the panic before it starts - again!

thanks!
Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:15 pm 

We're also dealing with a sesame allergy (along with others and avoiding tree nuts even though she tested negative to almonds & hazlenuts). We found out about the sesame allergy after finding out about her peanut allergy and I do think that avoiding just nuts was much easier. But it like everything it does get easier with time. There's a Sesame Allergy section on this forum that's here:
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=38

There's some good product info there that may/maynot be nut safe as well. For breads the only safe bread we've found is Dempsters white in the silver package. Some tortillas and Dempsters pitas/pockets are safe as well. I make our own bread, bagels & buns. Oh - Wonder has one safe hotdog bun too!

I've also found since sesame is #9 on the priority list of allergens many companies don't actually list for it. But if you call they can tell you if there is a chance for cross contamination. Call for everything. I called Pres Choice for some red sauce and it ran on the same line as another product with sesame.

HTH
J

Check out the Sesame Allergy section for some other ideas too.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:24 am 

It's tough to buy products with all the may contain warnings . . . one of my sisters who can have wheat got a bread maker for christmas. i don't think it takes all that much time . . . and the bread is way better than store bought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:32 am 

Hi Stefanie,

Regarding bread products, I've found that where you are matters. Unlike canned goods which can be shipped anywhere, fresh bread products are usually made locally, so what's safe in Toronto, may not be exactly the same as what's safe in New Brunswick or Vancouver.

In Toronto, I have also been eating Dimpflemeir breads (which I originally found out about from someone on this board). I make my own hamburger buns and pizza dough, but I buy the Wonder Hotdog buns (the sesame free ones are split on the top, not the side). Some of their buns have sesame warnings, so read the label each time. :)

I went years without eating crackers because of sesame allergy. But, Christie puts warnings if there is a risk of contamination with peanuts/nuts or sesame seeds.

This information is Canadian specific. Not sure if that's where you are.

Post subject: wow - thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:48 pm 

I am in Ottawa - spent the day bread shopping and bought the white Wonder bread - yuch - may have to go the breadmaker route!
Thanks for pointing me to the Sesame forum - not overly familiar with everything yet

What helpful people :D

Thanks
Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:54 pm 

Stefteach - you are in luck (somewhat) in that you live in Ottawa.

1. Bridor baguettes, which are available at the Gatineau Costco in the freezer section, are free of most major allergens, including sesame seed. They are made in a dedicated facility that has no nuts, peanuts, milk, eggs, or sesame seeds. They used to be available in the Ottawa area Costcos as well, but were replaced by Ace Bakery frozen baguettes. I managed to get the person in charge of supplying the stores to reinstate them in the Gatineau store.

2. Members of our local support group (Ottawa Anaphylaxis Support Group) have checked out a local bakery on Preston named Compiano's which has safe buns. If you want more details let me know. They are very careful about allergens and one of our members who buys buns there is HYPER vigilant about milk, eggs, peanuts, nuts and sesame seeds, so I trust her judgement.

K. (Leader of the OASG - see my profile for the website)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Karen, you're a one-woman shopping resource. Wow!

Also Stefanie, I've become a fan of Treasure Mills's products, a lot of which are nut, seed and - the one I need - soy-free.

These folks are even advertising on our site now - see the bottom of the page? Click on the apple/School Safe logo - that's them. On their site, they show which products are free of which allergens. Most people just fill in the "contact us" form to find out where specific prods. are available locally.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:25 am 

Went to the local health food store and they had the peanut/nut/sesame free granola I saw advertised in Allergic Living- at least I can now eat breakfast safely again!
They also had safe bagels (7.99 for 6) which were a little too pricey for me.
I am starting to feel I can breathe again.
My brother and his wife live in Cantley, so I will ask them next time they go to Price Club to get the baguettes for me.
And, I have asked for a breadmaker for my bday in Sept. While my son will be safe, his mother may add to the weight she is trying to lose!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:13 am 

Stefani, the weight gain, while probably partially mentioned as a joke - is a real risk. My husband has always been prone to weight gain, and he really did gain a lot when we switched to all home made breads.

I suggest looking into using some whole wheat and bran flours. Even when I make *white bread* I often substitiute one cup of regular flour with whole wheat, or rye, or something.

Do we have a thread started about bread machines? Maybe before buying one you want to get opinions from people about what they've purchased and what they did/did not like about the different brands. Those of us that use bread machines because of food allergies don't use our bread machines like *other people*. We tend to use ours A LOT. The first one I bought (can't remember the name) lasted a month. :roll: I did get my money back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:48 am 

So true about the "bread machine weight gain" phenomenon!! :lol: My DH and I found it frighteningly easy to eat about a half a loaf each when we first got the machine. For some reason I would never eat that amount of sliced bread, but home-made bread... easy.

I will post some easy bread machine recipes that are milk/egg/seed/pn/nut free in the recipes section. They were staples for us for a long time. (Now we're lazy and the Bridor baguettes and Bon Matin breads - which do have seeds I'm afraid - are our staples.)

K.