You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:30 pm 

I've been avoiding corn as much as possible since Oct 2004--the positive scratch test was a wake up call (but I knew already that corn was increasingly a problem . . . just was in denial). I do think that glucose and dextrose (corn-derived sugars) make my throat sting slightly so I've been avoiding them. I also avoid anything with ascorbic acid . . .

I'm not certain if citric acid is from corn . . . I read somewhere that it was but haven't found confirmation of this.

I avoid corn starch . . . except for over the counter antihistamines. The other source of corn for me (aside from Benadryl. . . I would bet that liquid benadryl contains corn): salt (contains dextrose). I would buy kosher salt or pure sea salt but I'm not sure if I would be at risk for an iodine deficiency. I actually had an appointment with a dietician last week . . . and this was one of my questions . . . she wasn't sure about this. (If I stick with this dietician, I'm sure she will research this question for me---but she wants to help me find a dietician who specializes in food allergies. . . )

I asked my allergist about salt (before the official corn allergy diagnosis). As I don't react to iodized salt, he said to continue to use it. This advice makes sense, but still, if I can do so safely, I'd like to see if eliminating corn entirely makes a difference. . .

I don't know if I react to corn oil or not--I don't use it. I do wonder about the corn oil in vitamin A preparations----when I added milk back into my diet after eliminating it during the few foods diet I got a hive. That could be coincidence . . . then again?. . . But I seem to be fine with milk. I have been trying to eat more yogurt and kefir instead and only have 1 serving of vitamin A containing milk per day, but the dietician was concerned about vitamin D intake [sigh]

One major question I have that I'll need to get sorted out---if I was ever in the hospital and had an I.V. drip that contains dextrose, would I have a reaction? I was hooked up to an I.V. after an anaphylactic reaction years ago and it was fine, but my corn allergy is a lot worse now. I'm not sure if that type of an I.V. would have had just saline solution or whether it would have glucose or dextrose in it.

There is literally nothing I can buy on campus to eat (I used to be able to have yogurt . . but the yogurt on sale contains corn starch) I can hardly buy anything at the grocery store that is processed in any way shape or form. And hospitals might not be safe. I'm betting that most health care professionals don't understand corn allergy . . . saskmommy's allergist even thinks that it is fictional.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:27 am 

Helen wrote:
One major question I have that I'll need to get sorted out---if I was ever in the hospital and had an I.V. drip that contains dextrose, would I have a reaction? I was hooked up to an I.V. after an anaphylactic reaction years ago and it was fine, but my corn allergy is a lot worse now. I'm not sure if that type of an I.V. would have had just saline solution or whether it would have glucose or dextrose in it.

Sorry about your problems w/ corn. I was diagnosed with this as one of my allergens to eliminate several years ago. Went cold turkey for at least 5 years. I have been able to add back canned corn on occasion. Cornbread is ok. I do drink sodas, now. But I do try to limit and rotate with other grains, as I don' want to overdo it.

But about the IV...you just get a saline solution when they start your IV. To hydrate you or provide a carrier for other meds. But they do give you a dextrose solution if you are hypoglycemic, or need parenteral nutrition.

Daisy

FYI - During Passover, you can sometimes find Coke made with real sugar. 8)

Found this site...thought it might help you:
http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn- ... n-list.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:45 am 

To add...

Eggs and seafood are good natural sources of iodine, for those that are not allergic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:23 pm 

Citric acid is now commercially made from corn. I will have my WORST ever corn related reactions to foods containing citric acid. Lately, I've been having problems with fresh meat because they are putting citric acid on it to keep it fresh longer and to keep the bacteria count down. See the following:

http://ciir.cs.umass.edu/cgi-bin/ua/web ... &query=and

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:39 pm 

I had good luck getting grass-fed meats when I was avoiding corn. I found it at Whole Foods, and nowadays are more widely available, even at local groceries. The meat just tastes better, as does the fat on steaks. :wink:

Corn is fed to cattle to fatten them up. Not necessarily a bad practice, in theory, before going to market. But some cattle are predominately fed grains, instead of letting them graze.

Like I said, I tolerate corn ok now, but I still buy grass-fed lamb, and occasionally beef.

This is a very difficult allergen to avoid in any prepared foods. :(
Many sympathies,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:54 pm 

I don't have a problem with corn fed meat. I eat corn fed chicken from our local Hutterites and I buy my beef from a local farmer. It's the organic acids (citric acid) that they are putting ONTO the meat at the meat packing plants that I react to.

We don't have a Whole Foods where I live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:04 am 

Daisy, thanks for the info. on the IV drip, and Eldi, thanks for letting me know about the citric acid.

By the way, when I asked her again, the dietician looked up info. on iodine. she thinks that i'll get enough iodine from other sources (iodine is even in dairy products). One of these days I'm going to try to go completely corn free to see if it makes a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:15 pm 

Helen, if you are going to go completely corn free...you'll likely have to give up dairy as well. I am allergic to corn (not dairy) but I react to almost all dairy products. My reactions are skin related, so I can "see" a reaction within 3-4 hours of eating any corn. Example, the vitamins added to milk (Vitamin A & D) are in a corn oil carrier. I have checked with all of the dairies in my area and they all use vitamins in a corn oil carrier. Actually, I have spoken to a government official in Ottawa about this and corn oil is used as the vitamin carrier right accross Canada. Also, if you check the ingredients on most other dairy products, you will notice that some kind of corn derivative will be there. For iodine, I take about a half a teaspoon of dulce every other day to supplement my diet since I can't use iodized salt or dairy. I do eat eggs...which are another good source of iodine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:39 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I'm not going to try going corn free for awhile (I'm eating gluten products right now which I think cause some GI problems so I'm going to wait to try the corn free diet until I get tested for celiac in mid-Oct.) But it is good to start planning for it now. It might not make a difference (I'm not nearly as sensitive to corn as you are), but who knows, maybe my nasal rhinitis will improve.

On the milk issue, I actually emailed harmony organics to ask about whether their milk had corn oil (as corn is likely to be genetically modified). They are not happy about the fact that they have to use corn oil and were trying to find a supplier of vitamin A that uses sunflower oil instead. I never found out whether they followed through with that or not, though.

I don't think that I could eliminate dairy completely just because I can't have soy and fortified rice milk (although not the unfortified rice milk) irritates my throat very slightly. I remember you mentioned something earlier about yogurt causing problems too--are you sure that it is from the yogurt cultures (grown on corn?) and not some corn-based additive? I've found a yogurt (Pinehedge farms) which has *absolutely* nothing added to it either than pasteurized milk and bacterial cultures. I'm hoping I could have that instead of milk when I try the corn-free experiment.

What's dulce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:54 pm 

I have tried even the most organic plain yogurt and I still react. I have to assume that the bacterial cultures are grown on corn...which is most likely the case. I contacted the makers of this yogurt (in BC) and they could not guarantee that the yogurt was corn free. All I am able to use as a milk substitute is plain, organic, unfortified, unsweetened soy milk. Once in a while I use unfortified goat's milk too...but I find it a little too rich. But then, I keep telling myself that I need the calcium so I force myself to drink it on occasion.

Dulce is a sea weed that is very rich in iodine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:59 pm 

Oh dear, I was afraid of that. Doesn't look like I'll ever be going 100% corn free . . . unless Harmony Organics *has* gone corn-free.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:18 am 

I found where I wrote down the iodine info. from my dietician. . .

she said that dairy, salmon, turkey, chicken, strawberries, molasses are among the foods that are high in iodine. I think she also said that carageenan has iodine (makes sense as it is from seaweed I believe). She didn't look into this in detail, but she seemed to think that I'd be okay without the iodized salt.

I'm pretty sure though that iodine deficiency is a problem in countries that are landlocked and which don't have iodized salt (like Kyrgyzstan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:24 pm 

I found some info. on the avoiding corn forum which suggests that corn starch is sprayed on white rice (Lundberg white rice apparently is safe but most rice isn't). [Edited to add that I now think that this info. might not be accurate.] Does anyone know if it is true that rice contains cornstarch?

And I've also read that canned goods and frozen goods have cornstarch. Arrgghh! This allergy is *the* most frustrating. And no one seems to get it. I had a discussion with one of my doctors today in which I expressed reservations about taking an over the counter medication with corn-derived sorbitol. My allergist has reservations about this too. The doctor did take the allergy situation seriously and everything---it just took some explaining on my part before he got how I could be allergic to something that is "just sugar."

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:26 pm 

Doctors are clueless when it comes to corn allergy. I have learned more from the net and the avoiding corn forum which you mentioned in your post. Have you seen the Connor's list of corn derivatives? I will try to find the link and post it here. There are about 250 names for corn derivatives and things made from corn.

I react to rice...can't eat it at all. I'm not sure if it's because it has been fortified using corn starch (corn is often used as the carrier for vitamins in enriched foods) or if it's because rice is in the same botanical family as corn...i.e. the grass family. I also react to cane sugar which is also in the grass family. This is all very complicated. Complicated or not, I feel soooooo much better and my skin is back to normal now that I avoid these things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:28 pm 

Here is the link to the Connor's List of Corn Allergens:

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn- ... n-list.php

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next