You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:05 pm 

If anyone is travelling to the Chicago area, the Toronto Star published an article about a great allergy-friendly restaurant called Bistro 110: http://www.bistro110restaurant.com. The chef has children with allergies and set up a strict set of food-preparation rules at his restaurant to minimize the risk of allergic reaction for his customers.

Chef serves up special menu for allergy sufferers
Jul. 29, 2006. 01:00 AM
HEATHER GREENWOOD DAVIS

Chicago—When Dominique Tougne slides into the seat across from me at Bistro 110, he is wearing his trademark chef's jacket and a grin from ear to ear.

Before I even open my notebook, the executive chef of the saucy neighbourhood restaurant located just off the famous Magnificent Mile reaches into his pocket and pulls out his latest gift from a happy patron: a pair of Popsicle sticks bound together with lilac string.

It's from a child who enjoyed his meal and while Tougne is clearly pleased with the gift, it's not his favourite.

The gift he loves most comes from families who trust him with the lives of their children and lately it has happened quite often.

Just about a week ago, a 7-year-old girl with a peanut allergy ate dinner in his restaurant.

"It was the first time in her life that they went to eat outside (their home)," he stresses, leaning across the table. "The first time. In seven years!"

The fact that they chose Bistro 110 no longer surprises Tougne, who works tirelessly to ensure that the restaurant caters to people who suffer from food allergies of all kinds.

Read the rest of the article here: http://tinyurl.com/r9nf3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:33 pm 

Okay - that article brought tears to my eyes. What a great guy. Sigh.

I wonder if he's considering a chain of restaurants... ? I guess he's not the owner, but wouldn't that be nice?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm 

This is so good, to read about positive handling of food allergies in a public place, especially a restaurant. Hopefully some other restaurant owners/chefs will read this article and there may be similar accomodations for FA individuals in future.
I have shared this article with members of our local Anaphylaxis Group here in Nova Scotia, so they could have a smile of encouragement today too.