You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: coconut/palm allergy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:48 am 

My son was diagnosed with coconut allergy in addition to tree nuts, shellfish, fish, crustaceans. After removing all of these from his diet, he continued to have reactions. We implemented an elimination diet as well as doing Botany research and discovered the connection of coconut to palm. Since removing palm from his diet,(the only food that we allow him to have with palm in it is chapman's ice cream) he has had no further anaphylactic reactions. Palm is problematic in that it is used to add vit A to foods. It is in margarine, milk, as well as many products that are otherwise nutfree. Other names are Palmitate, Vitamin A palmitate. If a product states "vegetable oil" and has vitA in it, it is hands off for us. I would be interested to know if anyone else has coconut allergy, and if so, have they removed palm also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:05 pm 

no one else I know in person or online has a palm allergy--I wonder if that is fairly rare. my sister is allergic to coconut, but not severely.

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: coconut/palm allergy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 pm 

My husband did a significant amount of Botany research through University sites that teach botany. He also researched the Palm industry. Betel Palm is the type of palm usually used in foods. Vitamin A Palmitate is derived from the Betal Palm and is used to provide vitamin A (incidentally, it replaced castor oil.) Coconut is in the palm family. I have heard of some people with Coconut allergy/ or OAS type symptoms. I have never heard of anyone with Palm Allergy. My son will be officially tested this year. However, since essentially removing the palm from his diet, he has had no further severe reactions. It seemed to be a cumulative effect with palm back when we were figuring it out. Our allergist thought this was unusual, but agreed we should keep him away from it, given our elimination diet results, and have him tested this year. I will update what the test results are come August.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:46 am 

Congrats on figuring that one out---must have taken a lot of research! Who knows, maybe your allergist will write up the case for a journal or something. They do have unique case studies in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. might help someone else out . . . there are probably more people out there with that allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:09 pm 

I think my oldest might be allergic to coconut. She gets rashes after eating coconut oil, but has never had the "real thing". We are planning on testing for coconut on our regular yearly visit this fall...until then we are avoiding. However, coconut oil is also in baby formula, and the oldests eczema did magically disappear after switching her to milk (switched to soy 2 years later due to sisters allergy). I am pretty sure palm is not a problem...it is in our margarine and shortening (earth balance).

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject: Coconut/Palm allergies
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

I am so happy to know of someone with this allergy! (Sorry, I am sure your son is not too pleased with it!) I am not the only one!! Yes, I discovered this about 15 years ago when they first started adding it to regular food items. It started with soda crackers. Thankfully I know what to look for but it certainly limits what I can eat! If you have any great items please let me know. I am always on the look out for something that is safe. I find it very frustrating because I am allergic to all nuts including peanuts. Also I have the weird coconut and palm allergy. I was just diagnosed with an allergy to sulphites as well as to wheat! So treats are a rare find.

I will be writing to Nestle about their addition of palm oil to their Kit Kat bars. One of 4 chocolate bars I could eat and now it is gone. :cry:

Let me know if you know any other info on this, I will supply what I can if you have questions.

Chris

Post subject: palm allergy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 am 

It was very disappointing when we discovered the palm addition to the kitkats, Now my son is down to smarties and aero. I haven't found any others he can eat. One benefit of a palm allergy is that the cheaper store brand products (such as Compliments, orEquality) tend not to use it. (ie. in puddings, chips, etc.) This cost saving allows us to buy the NoNuttin' granola bars... they do not contain coconut or palm. Always check labels regardless, but we stick with products we know. My son's best friend has severe allergy to soy, it is very challenging to find products that they both can eat. But, they think they are the coolest kids in their class because they get to carry a pouch. Go figure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:14 am 

Hi Karen. I just joined. How's it going lately? While coconut and palm are not my only allergies, when my allergies went from so-so to worse following my neurosurgery a few years back, I've noted how difficult it is becoming. Palm. Nightshade. Birch. Grass. Ragweed. I must check all ingredients. I used to love the local store brand hot chocolate until they added coconut oil (bad for you anyway). I opted for a local donut store's version, but Tim Horton's has two versions, one with coconut oil, one with canola oil. I must read the labels of each cannister. Margarine is a nightmare. My wie made a lovely dessert for me some time ago and was highly offended when I got an allergic reaction. She tried. But I discovered the culprit was the margarine. She had no idea. My 8 year old can rattle off most of my allergies. Potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, straberries, cherries, peaches, plums, pineapples etc etc. Funny though, apricots seem okay and fortunately -- apples. Despite what I have been told, cooking things does NOT help me. That's how I learned about potatoes. I don't eat them raw! Or any other way now, of course. I describe to my daughter that my "tongue goes silly." In truth it can be quite painful but it's not life threatening. I don't need an EpiPen but I carry a small bottle of Kanka which is medication designed for canker sores. But it will (usually) help deaden the pain of an allergic reaction in my mouth. As for airborne pollen (grass etc) I wear a surgical mask when doing yard work but have started bringing one with me so I can put it on when passing other peoples' lawnmowers. I agree when an item has an undefined "vegetable" oil it's easiest if I just avoid it. Pleased to meet you all!
-Sean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Hi Sean and welcome! Sounds like you're dealing with many allergies.

You're right that some peoples allergies to fruit can be solved by cooking the fruit but not everyones. That is more of an oral allergy syndrome type of reaction.

I'm wondering why you take a canker sore medicine for your reactions and not an anti-histamine. Have you seen an allergist?

Just curious.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:51 am 

Thanks. In the past I was discouraged from worrying about it. Even when I came to identify them, my mother (who also has some allergies) kept telling me to put up with it and eat what I am given when at a family function. She seems the only one who feels that way though. I guess I can take an antihistamine, but with the anaesthetic properties of the canker sore medicine, it provides instant relief. Usually. So while I wouldn't actually "recommend" this approach, it works for me in a pinch since - it's painful but not usually dangerous. It felt one time like my tongue was going to shrivel up and fall off from eating at Taco Bell. When I asked their head office for information on ingredients I learned that almost everything has tomato content in it. The staff generally don't seem to know. I had to stop going. As I indicated, I felt my well being took priority even if things otherwise taste good. Pizza joints have been good at using tabasco sauce (if I supply it) instead of tomato sauce. Italian restaurants seem OK with that too - if I bring my own alternate sauce instead of their tomato sauce. It's made dining out with family more compatible. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:09 am 

Welcome to the site, Sean!
I don't have allergies myself (well other than an allergy to penicillin), but I cook for two food allergic people, and of course their allergies are somewhat different.
When I bake I don't even use margarine (son has soy allergy) or butter (hubby has dairy allergy) I use olive oil instead and it actually works! I figure that margarines are made with oils so why not just bake with the oil.
My son is allergic to potatoes, oranges, pineapple, tomatoes, soy, fish, shell fish, peanuts tree nuts, and egg.
My husband is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, wheat, dairy, fish, shell fish, and his allergist has recently put him on a corn free diet.
They are both allergic to cats and dogs as well as grass and trees and dust.
Each of the foods causes a different reaction, some are anaphylaxis, some are just hives, others cause their eczema to flare up.
My husband has really bad eczema. My son's eczema has pretty much cleared up for now.