You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: hot dogs, sausages, ect
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:41 pm 

I had read that some deli meats, hotdogs, and sausages can contain surimi the fish used to make imitation crab. Has anyone had any problems because of this? Or more information? I figured anchovies would be the worst of my worries for this allergy.

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:37 pm 

Hi,

I stick with name-brand products. As far as I know, none of the processed meats I purchase are even made in a plant that also processes seafood. (I have to be careful, as I do react to "made in the same facility as seafood"-type products.)

I buy Nathan's or Hebrew National hotdogs, Oscar Meyer luncheon meats and Butterball Turkey Kielbasa sausage (Yummy, and not as greasy as the beef/pork versions). I stay pretty consistent with what I buy; don't like to take many chances.

I would be interested to know who is putting surimi in such products. :?

And yes, anchovies and fish sauce show up in the strangest places.

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:28 pm 

We buy a few things from Maple Leaf Foods and they assured me that if it's not on the label it's not in the products. So that's one company you could check out.

I hadn't heard of surimi being in those types of foods. Where did you read about it?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:24 pm 

I had googled fish allergies and it came up, I'll see if I can find it again. I contacted a couple big name companies and asked them and they assured me it wasn't used but had heard about it. I was more thinking along the lines of deli meats where I don't know the packaging (I know can easily avoid it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:30 pm 

here's the site, it's down at the bottom of the page.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... poie.shtml

Quote:
Possible sources of fish, crustaceans and shellfish
Coffee
Deli meats, e.g., bologna, ham
Dips, spreads, kamaboko (imitation crab/lobster meat)
Ethnic foods, e.g., fried rice, paella, spring rolls
Fish mixtures, e.g., surimi (used to make imitation crab/lobster meat)
Garnishes, e.g., antipasto, caponata (Sicilian relish), caviar, roe (unfertilized fish eggs)
Gelatin, marshmallows
Hot dogs
Pizza toppings
Salad dressings
Sauces, e.g., fish, marinara, steak, Worcestershire
Soups
Spreads, e.g., taramasalata (contains salted carp roe)
Sushi
Tarama (salted carp roe)
Wine

Non-food sources of fish, crustaceans and shellfish
Fish food
Lip balm/lip gloss
Pet food

Note: These lists are not complete and may change. Food and food products purchased from other countries, through mail-order or the Internet, are not always produced using the same manufacturing and labelling standards as in Canada.

What can I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:51 pm 

Well, you can't really argue with the CFIA, can you? It's not like it's from "Bob's Allergy Page" or something! (No offense to any "Bobs" in our group. ;) )

I'm assuming that perhaps it's not common practice but that it has been done, somewhere at some point. It could even be done elsewhere in the world but because it is done, the CFIA chose to include it in its list. If you come across a manufacturer who does do this, definitely let us know.

It's like marshmallows - the majority are made with pork or beef gelatin (I think) but I guess there is the risk of fish gelatin being used. In fact (just did a Google), according to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Commercial kosher pareve marshmallows are also non-vegetarian; they usually use fish gelatin, as fish is deemed not to be meat in kashrut.

So there. I just learned something new.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:35 pm 

eew that's what marshmellows are made of?? YUCK!!! no more s'mores for this gal :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:00 pm 

I appreciate this list, but honestly, I do think that unless we can start distinguishing between fish and shellfish, lists like this are not that helpful.

I'm ana to shellfish, and it's not like I'm comfortable eating fish in a restaurant or even buying it in a store (haven't found a kosher market yet), but I'd love to know which of these things are more likely to be contaminated with shellfish and which with fish. It's not like I'm going to avoid coffee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:32 pm 

lol I can't even begin to figure out WHY coffee would be contaminated in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:33 am 

Found it! Just happened to be reading the news and there it was...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A964958260

Quote:
A fish by any other name can still be dangerous for individuals allergic to fish and fish products. "Surimi," a processed food product that is derived primarily from Alaskan pollack, is frequently used in such foods as imitation crabmeat, seafood snacks, and "meatless" products such as hot dogs, pizza toppings and sausages and can cause a severe allergic reaction in fish-allergic individuals.

I'll stick with my safe meats, thank you.

Daisy

Post subject: shellfish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:10 am 

I have been away from the forum for a while, good to be back. : :D

Karen, you mentioned you buy some of the Maple Leaf products and stated that Maple Leaf told you it would be listed on the label. Actually, that is not the case and I have proved Maple Leaf incorrect. They have instructed me to always call to check on a new product or to re-check a product and the processing establishment itself.

There are two processing establishments Maple Leaf has told me to "avoid" because of a possibility of cross-contamination because seafood, in some form or another, is in these prossessing facilities. At first she told me they were safe because if there was any chance "itwould be on the label". I pushed hard to have her check the facility itself for other products due to cross-contamination risk & she came back on the line and stated "Good heavens this establishment is definietly not safe for you. There is definetly shellfish in this facility. I am so sorry I gave you incorrect information. I don't know why it did not show up on my screen". To date, there is still no reference to shellfish on these product's packaging. :shock: I periodically check.

I have done many re-checking calls to make sure the products I purchase remain safe and because new items are showing up with unsafe (to me) establishment numbers and I wanted to see if they were still off limits. They are Still Off Limits.

The two establishments I am referring to are:

Est. 7M and Est. 277

Two of the items I cannot purcharse are M. Leaf buffalo wings and York meat pies. Plus Maple Leaf Sub Sauce in a bottle.

Also told to me by Maple Leaf representative:
"Regular M.L. chicken is processed in Est 7M - DO NOT EAT" :!:
M.L. Prime chicken - SAFE - is processed in Est 7KK (shows on price sticker)

By the way Maple Leaf has bought out Larsens, Sunrise etc. and you will notice on a lot of the above named packaging the Establishment numbers 150 and 95. Both of these are made in safe plants, with no shellfish to contaminate, "so Maple Leaf tells me". As a routine I will be re-checking with them in the near future as things are always subject to change.

An example of change: Maple Leaf Mincemeat was at one time safe for me to use; but when I checked on it this past Christmas baking season, I was told "It is no longer made in the same facility, it is now made in a facility with shellfish". Another item no longer permitted in my home.

Amazing where shellfish turns up. Shampoo, cosmetics, medical etc. but that is for a different area of this forum.

Please do not take any of my comments as the gospel truth, but as - one who is anaphylactic to shellfish - doing her own research and sharing with those who wish to follow up on the products, themselves, what I have been told or learned.

Sue

Post subject: Costco and M&M Meats
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:42 pm 

Hi all,
I've noticed that a lot of the packaged meats at Costco contain a warning that they are processed in a facility that also processes fish and seafood. Now those prep areas aren't that big, so I don't take these warnings lightly! Also, my parents went through a M&M Meats phase, but have stopped, because everything and the kitchen sink has a warning on it from there! I haven't found any such warnings at Safeway but I always triple check before eating it. The other problem is that it's not always in bold writing so you really have to be vigilant when it comes to meats.
Hope this helps.

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm 

Here's another "catch" so to speak. People with shellfish allergies could also be allergic to sea salt. Read this post from another forum:

"I became allergic to shellfish at age 42 after eating a good deal of it in my adult life. Naturally I stopped eating it after that, which left me as a vegetarian, basically. Then I tried to eat mostly organic foods and found that if I ate prepared foods at health food stores or restaurants, I would frequently have the same reaction as though I had eaten shellfish.

I finally determined that the culprit was Sea Salt , and was informed by a doctor at the Mayo Clinic that sea salt contains "marine copolymers" (which another doctor told me was a fancy word for the microscopic shellfish that are contained in sea salt). So while I admire the properties of sea salt and all the wonderful things it can do for many people, I feel that those who are allergic to shellfish should be warned that sea salt may cause them to have allergic reactions. (In my case, that's a huge swelling of the glands in my neck, and lots of pain.)

I also avoid milk, but was unable to switch to commercially prepared soy or rice milk, as I have found not a single manufacturer of those milks that doesn't include sea salt as an ingredient."

We must demand that the manufacturer label the ingredient as "sea salt" and not just salt. I personally cannot tolerate sea salt and it's in almost everything now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:54 am 

This is in reference to the CFIA list of possible sources of seafood:

For the life of me I cannot imagine how coffee could be a possible source. Does anyone know why and how this can be? :?