You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Burger King
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:06 pm 

My 9 year old son (peanut and milk allergic) is invited to a party at Burger King. Has anyone with a peanut/milk allergy eaten there? If so, what did you have? We are not a fan of eating out at all because of his allergies but I am willing to let him go if it is safe for him. I plan on going to BK to check out the ingredient lists before I let him go. Another option I suppose is to bring his own burger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:40 pm 

Hi,

BK is supposed to be ok for nuts/tree nuts in the States.

But I would be careful of the milk, since the person preparing the burger would also be handling cheese. Perhaps you could talk to the manager and have the burger prepared by someone with clean gloves?

Here is the link for Candadian ingredients...
http://www.burgerking.ca/en/1045/index.php

Somewhere on the US site I found a link that tells what is fried in the same oils. The chickentenders and chicken patties are fried together (milk problem). But the fries are separate. You could ask the manager at the store in your area.

Hope he enjoys the party,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 am 

having worked in fast food (harvey's not BK) the idea of someone eating at anything with a severe milk allergy would terrify me... BK like harvey's grills their bugers, (although they also nuke theirs at then end of preperation ick!!), with cheese burgers the cheese is always bigger then buger patty and there is always some that melts and it falls into the strangest places; onto the girll, the burger shoots, the prep tables, table in the lobby, the fry shoots (sometimes you put a "claimed" item in the fry shoots so no one steals it from your costmer). Ccross contamination would be very very likely epscially with chese cause ppl just don't think about it they just take the glob of cheese and toss it and dont' always think to wipe dwn the area.

there there is poutine served at BK? if so then poutine cheese can fall into the fryers in preperatation by mistake or in haste. fryers are generally snaked (emptied and cleaned) once or twice a week depending on the place.. often the fryer oil is rotated, the one for fries only will be fresh, but the other two (onion rings and fries, then chicken/fish) are just moved into the next one, and the one that had the fried fish and stuff gets taken away because there are used for used cooking oils. i would be apprehensive about letting a child eat there because i think even with the very best intententions of everyone on staff something can be missed/forgotten and your child may suffer as a result.

as i said i didn't work at BK but there are similar procedures in most kitchens and i'd be apprehensive if i were a parent with an allrigic child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:30 pm 

I didn't ask the question, but thanks for the insight, DustyTiger. It pretty much confirms my general fear of fast-food restaurants (and most others) for a dairy-allergic child. Up to now my fears have been pretty much based on my own imagination, but amazingly enough, my imagination matches your various scenarios!!

I feel a bit less paranoid now ... and more like I'm just being vigilant. ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:14 am 

no you're defiantly being vigilant because a lot of times in fast food so long as it looks clean then that's the important part, and then when there is time you do a proper wipe down of what have you.. my boss had a severe mushroom allergy, and less severe milk allergy (she'd drink mllk and get hives) so she was much more aware for cross-contaminaton as a result, but nothing is a perfect solution in fast-food because when you're busy and you've got a line up it's quick glances to ensure a general clean look and later do the job properly

as for the comment on gloves i've worked with and without gloves without gloves you wash your hands properly, with gloves you sanatise your hands, just because the gloves are fresh doesn't mean that nothing has been cross contaminated with OTHER gloves for example if you use your gloved hands like at subway and do a full sub with cheese then each of the veggies has had some contact with cheese, even if the next teammate has fresh gloves on which hasn't touched cheese at all

i'm glad that my three years of food service came in handy with this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:56 am 

I worked at KFC for a month when I was a teen. I agree with dustytiger. The kitchen is a busy, insane place with beeping orders and food everywhere. I recall spreading mayo onto buns and then handling fries etc. and there was NO TIME to wash hands in between. I NEVER eat at MCD's (milk allergic daughter) but I was in there getting fries and BLT ...no mayo...no sauce of any kind, for my husband (his allergies are not that severe). The girl handiling the money got my food together (handled money then fires yuck!) she also prepared an ice cream cone which dripped on her hand which she licked off...then handled more fries. Then when I got to the truck...my husbands BLT had mayo on it! I took it back and the tag said "no tartar sauce...which is not on it anyways". Tha manager was annoyed...if it says "no tartar sauce" double check what exactly should be missing. He then made it himself. I have NO confidence in the entire situation when it comes to my kids...not even those MCD fries. Everyone packages them...and deals money...and icecream. No thank you.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:53 am 

Just a funny note to add about BK. My daughter went to a birthday party there last fall. I went with her and we brought her own hamburger and food. She had a great time because there was a play area. Now, even though she didn't eat any of their food she will sometimes ask if we can go to BK for a meal with our family!!! She wants to go to play. I can't imagine ever giving my daughter fast food with her multiple allergies. There would be too many factors to control to make her food safe. Not worth the risk and the food isn't as good as hers! This is our procedure whenever she goes to a party. We focus on the important parts of the party - being with friends, playing games and having fun. There is no sense dwelling on what she cannot eat. I always have cupcakes in the freezer ready for parties and frost them on the day. I think the next time she goes to a party I will ask about the colour of the icing on the cake so that her cupcake looks like the cake. A small thing ... but one more way to help her "fit in" and not feel so different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:44 pm 

I think that people that have worked in the food industry and now have to deal with food allergies don't trust restaurants.

I worked in a pastry shop for a couple of years and quit because of my fish allergy! :shock: The other chef I was working with just loved salmon and tuna sandwiches and would eat that almost every day... while working :? We worked at oposite ends of the kitchen area because of my allergy (not as severe as it is now...), but it proved me never to trust anyone with my food! Frosting a cake with one hand and eating a salmon sandwich with the other... too risky for me! Even if the food I'm allergic to is not served in the restaurant does not mean it is not eaten there :shock:

And trusting a 16 year-old at Mc Donald's to make my food... NEVER! No matter how much THAT one is carefull tells me nothing about the one that was using that space just before I got there. :?