You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Canning...anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:48 pm 

Does anyone else can foods? I made dilled carrots today. It was the first time I ever canned anything. It was not as difficult as I expected. It got me thinking for those of us with difficulties eating while traveling, that canning foods to take along would be a great option. You could always can chili, pasta in sauce, stews etc to take along. You could eat it at room temperature or microwave (after removing metal seal) for a family meal on the road. Hey, you could even have a power converter in your car and microwave it there. That way, no worry about trying to keep foods frozen on the road...which is almost impossible. That, and some stops for fresh fruits and veggies and you're good to go.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:47 am 

We usually do up a big batch of stewed tomatoes. We did them last year, but unfortunately several of the jars didn't seal properly.

The main problem with canning for travel is the glass. We try not to bring any glass in the car for long trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:11 pm 

Yeah, I never thought of that. Glass in the car. I guess I just recall only afew years ago taking glass jars of baby food everywhere. Maybe you could pack it in bubble wrap :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:41 pm 

I find this to be a very intriguing idea. I've done some canning (of fruits and vegetables) with my mother as a kid, but never as an adult. I didn't realise you could can meat products. I guess it makes sense since we buy cans of soups and stews with meat in it. Anyway, if there are any recipes out there, I would be interested! Storage of this type of thing at room temperature would be VERY handy for travel. I don't have a problem with travelling with glass jars - bubble wrap or towels would work great! I love the idea of a ready meal. We also thought we could travel with a rice cooker, toaster oven, etc. (basically, a portable kitchen) We will be doing a small weekend trip in a couple of weeks, so we intend to try out the portable kitchen idea!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:24 pm 

http://homecanning.ca/

There is some recipes and stuff here. My friend bought be a "bernardin" canning recipe/how to book. It is pretty good. For meat it looks like you need to use a pressure canner...instead of a water bath canner. I'm not sure how different that would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Not so much on the topic of canning, but on the topic of travelling:
In planning for our trip out west next summer, I'm thinking of purchasing an electric frying pan. There used to be a TV show "The Frypan Man". He did all of the cooking using 2 electric frying pans.
If we fly in and get a hotel with a bar fridge and pick up an electric frying pan at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire...that might do indtead of staying at a hotel with a kitchenette.
I guess I'll have to factor in the dishes and cutlery, too.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:36 am 

Also on the topic of travel (sorry, maybe I should post this elsewhere) but we've also considered using a portable one or two burner hot plate. They are really inexpensive at Walmart (as I recall, around $20 - $30)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:30 pm 

I thought the canning idea was a good one, but my mom tells me that she has read that canning meat isn't 100% safe? And that one is better off canning foods with a high acid content?

I bet this would be expensive, but you can buy a food drier (not sure what they are really called. . . but they dry fruits and vegetables.)

Julie, I didn't know about those hot plates. I'm travelling in the near future, and I'm now thinking I *could have* bought hot plates and a cooler that stays cool when plugged in (like a portable fridge) instead of reserving a room in a hotel with a stove/microwave/fridge. . . oh well. Maybe next time. (The hotel has a downside--they allow pets!! I really hope the person staying there before me didn't bring a cat or a dog.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:59 am 

Quote:
canning meat isn't 100% safe? And that one is better off canning foods with a high acid content?

That is true of canning with a boiling water canner. To can meat and low acid foods (tomatoes and others) successfully you need to use a pressure canner which is different. I've never used a pressure canner...my moms friend uses one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:33 pm 

A pressure canner, eh? I didn't know those were in existence. I'm pretty sure my mom was talking about the boiling water method. I'll be looking into this canning idea in the future! :)