You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:59 am 

Thanks for the info and for the link. I did read somewhere (on the avoiding corn forum I think) that forfitied rice in particular has corn (because corn oil is used as the carrier for the vitamins) . . . but that doesn't account for your reacting to plain white rice. Do you have to avoid unfortified brown rice too? (I won't be able to eliminate brown rice from my diet---it is one of the few grains I can eat--but I'm interested to know anyways since once I get tested for celiac I'm going to try a corn free diet.)

I emailed El Peto flours to ask them about whether the white rice they use is coated in corn starch. They said that they never heard of that before, but they will definitely look into it and will get back to me. (I'm still eating their products in spite of possible soy cross contamination. Other than the soy issue, they are a good company.)

In other corn allergy news, I called Tropicana . . . I figured that they would be likely to make orange juice without corn fibre. They assured me that all the pulp in their orange juice is from oranges. I asked too about corn in their packaging . . . they said it isn't a problem (but I'm not sure that I trust them on that one.) In any case, I think I'll stick with Tropicana orange juice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:33 am 

I've tried every rice there is...even organic wild rice...and I still break out. I must be highly sensitive to all grains but especially to corn. As for juices, the main corn derived culprit is usually citric acid...which is used as an antioxidant and preservative in juices..... Most people, even food producers still think that citric acid is made from citrus fruits...NOT! It is now commercially made from corn. I will have my worst reactions to citric acid. I don't use any juices of any kind. I eat a lot of fresh fruit and drink plenty of water...same effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:35 am 

P.S. Ascorbid acid (also made from corn) is added to a lot of juices as well. :o(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:35 am 

OOOOps...that should read ascorbic acid...duh...I'm in a hurry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:34 am 

Wow---maybe you have more allergies in addition to corn. But you never know . . .corn shows up everywhere as you are well aware. Rice is actually a common allergen in certain countries . . . not as common here (where rice isn't consumed as much) but there *are* people who are anaphylactic to rice.

I was telling a friend the other day about what all contains corn . . . she asked me if I had read _Fast Food Nation_ (which she has heard about but hasn't actually read).

Reacting to juices sounds like a good excuse to buy a juicer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:28 pm 

For anyone allergic to corn/corn derivatives, here is a link to a blog that I thought you might be interested in. Since corn in not one of the "recognized" allergens, I think it is important to get the word out any way we can to help those suffering with this "oh so rare" allergy. I don't think it's as rare as we are led to believe.

http://no-corn.blogspot.com/2006/08/whe ... offee.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:22 pm 

Thanks for the link. I can relate to that article about trying to figure out what's in drugs! This one company I called (makers of citro mag) said there was no corn, but when I asked about the source of sorbitol, I was told that, yes, the sorbitol is from corn. (The company representative just didn't think to check.) Another company said they would check all the sources of the ingredients for me, but it would probably take a couple of weeks. Haven't heard back from them. The company representatives were trying to be helpful, but they just don't have the info.

I've tried coffee again . . . whole bean Starbucks . . I didn't react this time. I'm going to try Kicking Horse coffee which I hear is very good (fair trade, organic, shade grown, not too too expensive). I do suspect that it was the coffee bean I reacted to rather than the additives, but one never knows.

I hope that once allergy associations manage to get better labelling for the top 10 allergens that they will move on to trying to advocate for laws that protect all people who are allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:15 am 

As for coffee, I've tried a few dozen different kinds now, and so far the one I react the least to is Tim Hortons. I tried Safeway's "Organic" brand and I reacted very badly to it. I don't want to get too graphic, but my reactions are skin related and very obvious. I have the Tim Horton's in my freezer for special occasions...even though I probably won't be having any.

Have you checked the CODEX List of additives for coffee? There are 122 allowed additives for coffee/tea, etc....many of which are corn derived. It doesn't take much to set me off... Oh well....I'm quite happy with my green tea...it's better than drinking hot water! :o)

Medicine has always been a problem for me. I've had to educate a few pharmacists as to how corn can be hidden in pills/creams/IV's. The worst reaction I've had to medicine was to some antibiotics (apparently a lot of them are made from/with corn). After a day or so of taking them, I woke up in the morning and one side of my face was swollen to twice its size and hard as a rock. I stopped taking the medicine and kept a cool compress on my face. It took about a day for the swelling to come down, but when it did it left a large painful cyst which then took weeks to go away. I'm terrified of medication...and, like it or not....most/all of it has corn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:40 pm 

Hmmm...well I guess Tim Horton's does make good coffee! I don't really know, but I'd bet that you'd have better luck with an organic company that just makes organic products. I have a feeling that they would be more committed to keeping corn derived additives out and that some companies which make conventional products but also are trying to go for a share for the organic market might not be as concerned about all the issues about additives.

I wonder if pharmacies would be willing to compound a product just for people with allergies . . .I know my local IDA isn't, but maybe hospital pharmacies might. Someone on another message board (with a PhD in pharmacology) suggested that I could ask the hospital pharmacist about this when I go in for the biopsy (celiac disease). in my case, it isn't that dangerous I don't think because I don't react as severely to small amounts of corn, but, still, there is always the risk since I am allergic and allergies are unpredictable.

Eldi, have you figured out a plan for if you ever happen to have to go to the hospital?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:57 pm 

I ended up in emergency a few years ago (I required stitches for a gashing cut on my hand). I told the woman who was admitting me that I was severely allergic to corn. She just looked at me with this blank stare and didn't even put it on my chart. I had to insist that it appear on my chart. She obviously thought...well....we just won't serve you any corn with your meals... :o) Luckily, I didn't need any medication, and the cream I was given didn't seem to bother me...so, whew....I was lucky that time.

So, the answer to your question is...no....I don't have a plan for a hospital stay. I have a lot of information about corn allergy that I carry with me in my wallet...so, hopefully I won't be pumped full of dextrose IV's or glucose...or pills with corn binders in them.

There are compounding pharmacies in the U.S. I've asked a few pharmacists here, but they didn't know of any in western Canada. I guess I'll be checking them out when I need to. As for right now, I have some white willow bark that is useful for pain and fever. I don't use any medicine otherwise....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:21 am 

Sounds like you got lucky with that trip to the hospital. I would imagine that a *lot* of people have no clue about the corn alleryg. I think I'd better ask my allergist for a note or something. He takes the corn allergy situation seriously . . . if I have a note I bet others will too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:00 pm 

Helen wrote:
I wonder if pharmacies would be willing to compound a product just for people with allergies...

There are compounding pharmacies out there... I'm not sure how to track them down though. I did email the Canadian Pharmacists Association a few months ago asking if they had a list of compounding pharmacies and they said no - which I found rather odd and very disappointing.

Anyway, if it were for me I'd start with the yellow pages and if that didn't provide any help I would ask other pharmacies if they knew of one, and then lastly the hospital pharmacy, I guess. Regina should have at least one I would think.

I have never had to deal with a corn allergy, but I've read enough about it to realize that it's a very challenging allergy. Almost all processed foods, not to mention medication, has some form of corn in it... :cry:

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:18 pm 

Okay, I couldn't stop myself... :lol:

I just emailed the CPA to see if they would consider posting such a list on their website (they are updating their site and asking for suggestions from the public, so hey!).

I also did some googling and found this (but it took a few minutes):

http://www.naturalwoman.org/events.htm - List of Compounding Pharmacies

which shows this:

Saskatoon Medical Arts Pharmacy
133-750 Spadina Crescent East
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
306-652-5252

I know it's not Regina, but maybe they would know of one... or maybe that's as close as you're going to get...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:19 pm 

I'm curious - when you all say you react to coffee, is it brewed coffee that you buy already made (i.e. as a liquid)? Or coffee beans?

If you buy just the beans and then grind them at home, does it still cause reactions?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:21 pm 

Thank you so much for posting the link for compounding pharmacies and the Saskatoon address. I know it's unwise not to have some kind of back-up for safe medicine. As you can imagine, it's very frustrating when all you need is a headache medicine and you cannot find a single pain killer that does not contain some form of corn. If I absolutely have to, I will take some tylenol...and deal with the reaction (skin), which heals in a few days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next