You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: ians natural foods
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:30 pm 

I am so excited - I just found some new products at our organic store - ians natural foods has 3 products for allergic kids- crunchy breaded fish, crunchy chicken nuggets - the fish is - wheat free, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nutt free, soy free - the chicken nuggets are the same. My 2 year old very picky eater really enjoyed the chicken nuggets - now he can have nuggets like his big sisters - he has a severe dairy allergy. they have a web site - www.iansnaturalfoods.com

the last product is fries - alphatots ( they are abc shaped). :P :P :P :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, I've never seen these before. I'll have to look at them, thanks.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:35 am 

I just sent off an email to seek how they handle the cross-contamination issue with soybean oil being in many of their products.

LOOKS YUMMY though!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:54 pm 

i've had their pizza tv dinner once it was pretty good... i've seen some of their products in most of the organic isles at local grocery stores (i'm in ottawa)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:36 pm 

Thanks so much for the info! I'm checking out my local Loblaws tomorrow for these.

Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:37 pm 

Thanks so much for the info! I'm checking out my local Loblaws tomorrow for these.

Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:58 pm 

These products sound great. It would be nice to have a quick frozen dinner occasionally - which I haven't prepared in advance! From the information, they are healthy too! How expensive are the nuggets and fish sticks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:02 pm 

Thanks trishshim! I picked up the Nuggets & the alphatots today and my daughter ate them! I was shocked - she's also a picky eater. So happy to have something else that's easy to offer her. I made her 2 originally in the oven and then she asked for another one :D So I was reluctant and did it in the microwave - it actually became crunchy after cooling down and she ate it too!

Katec - I found them at Superstore in the organic section. They're actuall on sale right now - I think it was $5.99 for the nuggets - and it's a small box. But she ate them!!!!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:37 pm 

dustytiger wrote:
i've had their pizza tv dinner once it was pretty good... i've seen some of their products in most of the organic isles at local grocery stores (i'm in ottawa)

Can you tell me which grocery stores you've seen these products in? I'm in the Ottawa area too.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:48 pm 

Cancel that order (as it were) - I found some info at http://www.iansnaturalfoods.com/ourretailers.html

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:55 pm 

Man - they even have sweet potato fries. That is awesome - my oldest is allergic to both chicken and potatoes but we could have these. I hope I can find some of this stuff in our local stores.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Karen, I had missed this thread earlier - just went to the site by clicking throught their new ad on the homepage... Have you tried the SweetPot. fries?

Simon, our food editor, makes them perfectly. And I love them! When I make them, they come out too soft. (Perhaps I'm overcooking them?)

Pre-cut / frozen would be so convenient if they're any good. And I'm hoping they don't contain soy???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:04 pm 

I haven't... we have stayed true to form and just cut up our own sweet pots. We actually had some tonight. Delish!

Ours get crispy when they're cut pretty thin. Do you cut yours so that they're kind of fat? Maybe put them on a diet (haha) and see what happens.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:02 pm 

Hi Gwen - Just thought I'd mention that we don't buy them (but buy their chicken cuttletts & Alphatots for our kids) because, if I recall, there was Soybean Oil on the label. I don't remember exactly why - but do remember it was soy related.

Ian's products are on sale right now at Dominion stores too if anyone buys them regularly.

J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:25 pm 

Hey mygirlsyd, Just thought I'd let you know that I read on the Ian's website last evening that they now have some soy-free (and other allergen-free) food choices! As noted on their website:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New!!
Straight from our very busy R&D department, Ian’s is proud to introduce:

Ian’s Allergen Free Fish Sticks and Chicken Nuggets
Ian’s has answered the call from people with food allergies. Our Wheat Free, Gluten Free Fish Sticks, Chicken Nuggets, Popcorn Hotdogs, Kids Meals and Alphatots do not contain any wheat, gluten, egg, dairy, soy or nuts! Don’t confuse these with the original chicken nuggets and fish sticks. We are not replacing our original items but expanding our product line to include people with food allergies. Look for the RED BANNER (instead of the original blue). The new allergen free items taste great and are lower in fat than any of their counterparts on the grocery store shelves. Ian’s uses an exclusive corn coating that gives the chicken and fish a crispy and crunchy great taste! Of course, Ian’s still maintains our high quality standards for the Allergen Free products as we use for the original recipe products. That means no chicken skin, hydrogenated oils, no tripolyphosphates in our fish and no trans fats (check out "10 Facts About Ian’s Frozen Food" for more of our benefits).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I somehow missed this original thread, but now that I've seen it, I want to try a few of the Ian's food line. Mygirlsyd, have you found the food items you've tried to be safe for the sesame allergic? It sounds like they are! I'm very excited to learn about this product line. I'll have to head over to Dominion!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses