You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:14 pm 

I have to share this with people who will understand and appreciate what we have gone through for the past seven years. My daughter who is allergic to dairy, egg, tree nuts, peanuts went to the allergist last week in Winnipeg and she is no longer allergic to dairy! I can't beleive it... I am still thinking of foods she can now eat that she never has. We are so excited for her. Her peanut reaction went down, but the egg went up. I found it surprising that the egg allergy is getting worse. Also, my younger daughter had a peanut challenge because the skin prick and blood test from 2 years ago showed no allergy. I am sure she has never been exposed to nuts (because of my older daughter). Well, as soon as she got the peanut butter in her mouth, she got 2 hives and an itchy tongue. So, they say she's allergic, but not seriously. I am now concerned that if she is ever exposed again she will have a reaction 10 times worse. Should I ask the doctor for an epi-pen? Has anyone else encountered this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations on the challenge!
As I understand it, they can't predict the severity of the next reaction. It could be stronger or weaker.
If they tell you that she is allergic, ask for an EpiPen or Twinject which ever you prefer.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:53 pm 

Wow!!! 7 years of dealing with dairy allergy and it is over! I must admit i am a little jealous :oops: , but happy for you none the less. Hopefully some day it will happen to us.

I also agree your younger daughter needs an epipen/twinject. It was her first exposure, and there is no way of predicting if the next reaction (hopefully there isn't one) will be worse.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:28 pm 

What relief for you! It is encouraging to hear about someone outgrowing a milk allergy after preschool years. It gives us hope too. Definitely an epipen for your daughter.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm 

Just want to second the big WHOO-HOO about losing the dairy allergy -- it gives us all hope -- and the advice to get an EpiPen/Twinject ASAP for the peanut allergy.

Like the others said, there is no predicting the severity of a reaction, and given that peanut/nut allergies account for 50% of food allergy reactions and 50% of food allergy fatalities (as far as I know), it's very strange that they didn't automatically prescribe an auto-injector.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Gentle reminder that you don't necessarily need a prescription for the EpiPen but you'd want it if you plan to claim on your drug plan.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:54 pm 

Congratulations about the milk challenge. That is awesome, you must have been jumping for joy. My 9 year old peanut, milk allergic son just outgrew an egg allergy a few months ago so I know the feeling. There are so many dairy products, it certainly expands her food choices quite a bit.

Regarding your other child who was tested for peanuts, I am very surprised they did not give you a Rx for the epi-pen and that they seemed to have taken it so lightly. If I were in your shoes, I definitely would assume she is severely allergic to peanuts and not take it lightly. Congratulations again on the milk challenge.

son allergic to peanuts, milk.....outgrew an egg allergy a few months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:34 pm 

Thanks for all the kind words. I assumed that because she is 7 that it was kinda too late for her to outgrow her allergies, but I have heard of people outgrowing allergies in their teens. Keep on hoping! I will ask our pediatrician here for a Rx for an epi-pen for the younger one. I am concerned if there is ever an exposure to peanuts, the next reaction could be severe. Thanks to you all for the advice! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:47 pm 

Quote:
I assumed that because she is 7 that it was kinda too late for her to outgrow her allergies, but I have heard of people outgrowing allergies in their teens. Keep on hoping

My husband outgrew his milk allergy and peanut allergy at about age 12. So there is always hope. However, he was a migraine sufferer until we discovered our youngest was milk allergic and he quit consuming milk at home. His migraines "mysteriously" disappeared.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:24 pm 

Hi Tbaymom,

It's great to hear some positive stories about outgrowing allergies.

While you're at the allergist for an epi-pen prescription, I would ask for another skin prick test and if possible another RAST. After all, it's been 2 years and things could be different now.

Self - Allergic to housework only