You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:56 am 
Site Admin

I took our daughter (almost 5 years old egg/milk allergies) to the amusement park on Toronto's Center Island. She had a great time.
The island is a community with people living there year round and as such they have a fire dept, police dept and and ambulance. The ferry ride is approx 15 minutes to get across. There are lockers in several locations. We brought our lunch and put it in a locker until we wanted it.
It is an ideal amusement park for younger children 3-12. I think children much older would find it lame and be more drawn to the CNE.
The park has many trees so it's nice and shady, perfect on a hot summer day.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:37 pm 

This is one of our family's favourite outings! We really love it there! Everything from the ferry ride over, to the beautiful parks, boardwalk, and of course, Centreville (the permanent amusement park open from May - October.) We've been there twice this summer, and we've gone every year since our daughter was 2 years old. We bring tons of food, wipes, etc. and have a picnic lunch (and dinner if we decide to stay that long.) We always bring 3 Epipens when we go on these types of outings. Of course, we don't buy any of the food from there, but we definitely don't miss it. We make frequent trips to the washroom to wash our son's hands, but he's never reacted there. It is definitely reassuring to know that emergency treatment would be available should he need it.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:49 pm 

Thanks for the info you guys. I've been wanting to go there for awhile - and we almost made it in late June (visiting family outside Toronto) but it was pouring rain so we went to the Ontario Science Centre instead.

I've heard good things about it, and now I feel even better hearing about it from the allergy perspective.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:34 pm 

We go there every September...usually the weekend after school starts. The weather isn't so hot and there are no crowds so the kids get to stay on the rides for as long as they want without having to get back into the lineups. It's perfect for younger kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:19 pm 

Just wanted to add that on our second trip there this summer, I went with 2 other mom's and kids, with the oldest kids being 8 year old boys. The 8 year olds still had fun, but it seemed they might outgrow it in the next year or so?? It really depends on how much "thrill" the kids like on the ride. The rides are very much geared to young children, and my kids still won't go on some of the rides (roller coaster, ferris wheel) as they still find them too scary... but my kids are not really into the big thrill rides yet. Something to consider with kids in the 8 - 12 year old range.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses