You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:03 pm 

Does anyone know of a brand of butterscotch chips that I can bake with that are peanut free, or that do not have the statement "may contain traces of nuts" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:21 pm 

In Canada Chipits are made by Hershey Canada.

Check the label - if there is no peanut ingredient AND no preanut warning, then it is safe.

I'm not sure if the butterscotch are safe or not though. Probably not because i don't remember buying them recently. However, I think the white ones are safe. (Not the same, I know. :( )

I did try checking their web-site, but didn't find allergy info/ingredients there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:10 pm 

nope :( -- Hershey's butterscotch chipits "may contain" nuts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:11 pm 

just wondering if anyone has had any success finding butterscotch chips without a "may contain peanuts / nuts" warning yet?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:13 pm 

I e-mailed the Enjoy Life company and sent in a request/ suggestion as a consumer to see if they would consider making butterscotch chips as I cannot find any that are safe for my pa child. They make chocolate chips so I thought it was worth a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:21 pm 

Nonuttin foods ( http://www.nonuttin.com/ ) is coming out with new products in september. There was a survey a while ago as to new products that customers would like. Their choc chips (the same ones from their granola bars) were on the survey as well as cherry chips, and trail mix. I am waiting to see the new products with much excitement. I noticed the site was all wacky...so hopefully they are in the process of updating the products available. I LOVE NONUTTIN!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:54 pm 

I e-mailed no nuttin foods to see if they would consider making butterscotch chips. They do not have the ability at this time to do so but they sent me an e-mail back:

Customer service forwarded me your email so that I could answer you directly.

I wish we had the capability to make butterscotch chips because I can’t find any safe ones either. We used to buy Chipits for use at home and now I see they have nut warnings. The only place that I know of that you can get peanut/nut safe butterscotch chips is at Vermont Nut Free Chocolates out of the US, although they are not dairy free. If you look under their baking products you’ll see the butterscotch chips in the shopping cart.

As for new products, we have been working up a storm. Some new products are ready and we’re just waiting for our packaging to arrive which has put us terribly behind. Other products will be coming out over the next several months and into the new year. Here’s what should be coming shortly:

Barry Callebaut Chocolate Chips that we use – high quality chocolate in 450 gram resealable bags (we’re also looking at the possibility of chocolate chunks)
Real Fruit Chips – cherry flavour – like a fruit “drop” but made from fruit purees, this chip is wonderful for snacking, trail mixes, and baking - in resealable bags as with the chocolate chips. We’ll be adding some recipes to our website for ideas
Vanilla Cinnamon Granola Clusters – yummy for snacking, adding to yogurt, and even baking. These will also come in a resealable zip top bag as well.

After that, over the next several months we have some things in development with our company and some deals in development with other companies that will either supply us with products they make or they will make products specifically for us. What’s planned:

Divvies peanut, nut, egg and dairy free gourmet cookies from the US. They taste like home made and are individually wrapped for snacks and lunch.
Kettle Corn – snack packs made for us by another local company – free of the top 10 food allergens
Double chocolate granola bars
Trail mix – with roasted soybeans
Crispy rice squares

Everything that we currently make is free of 8 of the top 10 food allergens and all of the new products we make will be free of these as well. I hope those sound good to you. I always appreciate feedback so you can let me know what you think or about something you’d like to see that we don’t yet have.

I was very happy with their response! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:10 pm 

Thanks Joelle - nice to see that new stuff is coming. Definitely let us know if/when you see that the stuff is available.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:50 pm 

Thanks for all of the info! Which one of us wants to corner the market and make butterscotch chips that are free of allergens?? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:13 pm 

I used butterscotch chips extensively in my Christmas baking and of course there were no warnings on the package. I thought at first that I had used the Chipits brand but now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that it was the Baker's brand.
Oh, just checked in the kitchen, we have a gynormous bag of chocolate chips from Costco and they're Hershey Chipits. There is NO warning on them! So it's probably like a lot of brands out there - it depends what size of the product you are getting and were it was packaged. I also remember eating Hershey's Kisses on my parents Anniversary in February adn them not having any warning on them. So I would stick with the old allergy addage of "always read the label." Hope this helps!

Caroline

P.S. Chocolate chips are fabulous when added to Chapman's Vanilla ice cream!! YUM!