You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Corn Allergy Information
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:32 am 

Here is an excellent site for people with corn allergy and what you need to avoid:

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn- ... e-list.php

This link was taken from the Jenny Connor Corn Allergy site:

http://www.cornallergens.com/new/elimin ... m-diet.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 pm 

Wow! That leaves practically every commercial food out! :shock:

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:54 pm 

Yes, nothing from a box, can, or package for me. Even things that should be safe are not. I react to milk because the viatmins (A and D) that are added to milk are in a corn oil carrier. It is not legal to buy unfortified milk in Canada. Actually, most dairy is a problem for me. I can eat some of the aged cheeses from Italy, but that's about it. Store bought meat is another problem. Corn derived citric acid is used to keep the bacteria count down as well as keep it fresh longer. I can only eat meat that I buy directly from local farmers.

Finding safe food for those of us who are corn allergic is a daily struggle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:29 pm 

And this is another thing that I like about forums - it gives us all some perspective.

Even though my family is avoiding a fair amount of foods, I always keep in mind that there are others out there who are facing even greater challenges, both with regards to food and other health issues.

Thanks for sharing the info, Eldi.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:17 pm 

There's still a possibility that my daughter is allergic to corn, so we're trying to avoid any obvious sources of corn, but we're so confused at this point, I don't know how thorough we should be. I mean, she's had all sorts of corn products and corn by-products since her first reaction. After her second reaction, the allergist tested her for corn but it was negative. Could it be that she only reacts with a fair quantity of corn, and that's why it didn't show up on a skin test?

Mind you, I am positive that between February and August, we have had popcorn on several occasions.

Can allergies be this insidious and unpredictable? One day you react, a month later, you might not? Could this explain why skin tests are not always reliable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:47 pm 

Corn allergy is extremely difficult to diagnose. Please note Dr. Janice Joneja's comments at the end of this document.

Part of which reads:

"corn allergy is an example of a food allergy that can only be successfully and accurately identified by elimination and challenge "

Dr. Joneja is a Canadian doctor who specializes in corn allergy. I have been in touch with her on several occasions.

http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/March04.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:04 pm 

I think that the worst challenge for someone dealing with a corn allergy is that there are new moms out there (with corn allergic babies) who cannot find infant formula that does not contain corn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:18 am 

Thank you very much, Eldi, for that link. That is very good information. I have researched corn allergy, but this is the most thorough article. It's interesting to note that corn often goes undetected with skin tests and RAST, and that often the only way to diagnose it is through a food challenge. I'll keep this in mind.

Do you have to avoid all corn derivatives or can you have maltodextrin containing foods, for example?

Also, with a corn allergy, do you worry about trace amounts and cross-contamination, like with peanut allergies, let's say? Or is it more of an ingestion problem, with the potential of becoming anaphylactic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:29 pm 

I am highly sensitive to all of the derivatives made from corn. My reactions are mostly skin related (I will break out in a blistering rash and will also develop large, painful cycsts on my body. I will also have stomach issues, numbness in my hands and feet, ocular conjunctivitis, facial swelling, etc. with a major exposure. I have never gone in to ana. shock....but, I do worry about it sometimes.

Cross contamination is a huge problem. Since corn is not recognized as one of the 8/10 major allergens, there is no requirement for labelling...especially when cross contamination is a possibility. Things can be safe one day and not safe the next day.

Some of my worst reactions are to corn derived citric acid for some reason. Citric acid is used in hundreds of things...many of which are not labelled as containing it.

Needless to say, my diet is extremely limited. I can eat farm meat and chicken, most eggs, unenriched, unflavored, unsweetened soy milk, fresh vegetables (except for corn :o), fresh fruit (well washed with safe soap and water because they use a vegetable/corn base wax on a lot of fruit and vegetables), honey, organic sea salt (table salt contains dextrose and other corn deriatives), organic peanut butter, and a few other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:09 pm 

It definitely sounds like a corn allergy is not cut and dry like, let's say, a peanut allergy. Peanuts are, in my opinion, easy to avoid. But corn is another story.

Oh well, seems like it forces you to eat a very healthy diet, which could be a blessing in disguise!

If it turns out that my daughter is allergic to corn, I will probably require your expertise for some advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:54 pm 

I hope that she isn't allergic to corn...but yes, by all means, I will help answer any questions you may have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:31 pm 

Hi Nicole,
I'm also allergic to corn---but not as severely as Eldi. I've always been allergic . . . but it has been one of those allergies that has increased and waned. I didn't bring corn up in allergy appointments until it got much worse--I just got an official diagnosis recently (positive scratch test and positive RAST (class II)). I still use iodized salt . . . and drink milk . . . and take over the counter allergy medications with corn starch . . . one of these days I might get around to seeing if eliminating corn entirely makes a difference for me.

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:36 pm 

I used to be able to tolerate a few things that contained corn as well. Unfortunately, the older I got, the more sensitive I got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:58 am 

Hopefully we'll find out more next week. We have an appointment with an allergist in Toronto who specializes in anaphylaxis. Dr. Waserman referred us.