You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: When to bring it up
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:45 am 

At what point in the courtship/relationship do you bring up your allergies? What sort of affect does it have on the chemistry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:21 am 

I brought it up before our first kiss, we had know each other for 4 months, dating for one. And she completely understood. Otherwise, I would have moved on. We've been together for 4 years now, living together for 3 and we plan on getting married next spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:18 pm 

Congrats youngvader,

This whole dating thing is a few years away for my 6 year old son who is allergic. However, I will have to remember that part of our conversation regarding girls will have to include him being up front about his allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:55 pm 

And not kissing a girl before he brings it up. Maybe it's just me but I hate to imagine what could happen if you kiss someone who just had a snicker bar or something containing nuts or peanuts. My doctor told me that contact from the tip of my tongue would trigger a reaction. So it makes no difference if I take a bite in it or if someone has had food in their mouth. Apparently the enzymes should dissolves in 24 hours and it would be safe but I would never take that chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:51 pm 

I've been single for many years, so I haven't had to bring it up that much when dating... I have to mention my allergies before we even meet as I cannot go in restaurants and when I go out with a few friends, the conversation always goes to my allergies, so I don't get asked to dates that much...

I was shy to bring it up with my first boyfriends, but at one point figured out that it was risky, so I decided to ask my ex to stay away from fish from day one. He knew about my allergy (at that point I had only one...) but was shocked that HE had to stay away from it too. It was either he stayed away from it or he stayed away from me for many days! It worked out fine for 2 years, then we broke up for other reasons, so I do not hesitate to say it right up front and if someone loves me enough, they'll live with it. The down-side was that his mother didn't really like me and as he still lived at home, his mother would make fish for dinner a lot with the hopes that he would stay away from me and not from fish... :roll:

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:42 am 

That's an old b****!!! Mylene, that's a horrible story and a horrible mother. That is one reason I would never eat at my in-laws. They ate me so much, even if with time, we managed to patch things up, I would be afraid they would try to kill me by "accidentaly" making something with nuts or peanuts and not telling me.

Yeah, I'm paranoid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:22 pm 

Hey guys,

Allergies are DEFINITELY a good test for a relationship! My boyfriend and I have been dating for about a year now, and he is great with my allergies - always has my back in a restaurant if I am given a hard time, etc.

In the beginning though, he would sometimes forget and eat something like a Snickers bar or eggs for breakfast (I'm a to nuts, eggs, shellfish and bananas). I usually had to ask, and even after saying no I would get hives! Then of course he would remember and feel terrible. Got the message across, though!

So now he just stays away from my allergens completely, and is fine not having them in the house when we move in together next year. I am allergic to beef (much less than the others) as well, and he is practically a caveman... so on occasion he will have a burger, then wash his fash and hands, use toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash and I'm fine.