You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:37 pm 

Hi all -

Based on another thread ( http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1344 ), I was thinking that we could post how/if Sabrina's Law has had a positive effect since its implementation last January (2006).

Has it had a positive effect on your school? On your child? On you?

If yes, how?

Even if you don't live in Ontario, please feel free to contribute. I live in Quebec and it's had a positive effect on ME personally, which in turn has helped my dealings with the school and hopefully made it a safer place for my kids.

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:51 am 

My daughter only became anaphylactic this year, so I can't personally compare the way things are with the way they used to be, but my friend works at the high school where her peanut/nut allergic daughter goes and she is impressed by the fact that the principal is going to meet with each and every family of anaphylactic children. Thiis probably would not have happened without Sabrina's Law.

I think that to have things mandated the way they are creates more awareness with the staff and that's a huge plus. I got my daughter's anaphylaxis package yesterday and everybody plays a part: the anaphylactic child, the parents, the teachers, the admin staff, etc., even the bus drivers.

I feel lucky that all these procedures were already in place. I am grateful to the "pioneers" who had to pave the road for us. I'm sure they fought an uphill battle all the way. And it is too bad that it took something like Sabrina's death to make these procedures official, but I am very positive that it will prevent more deaths.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:39 am 

Personally I don't think Sabrina's Law has had any direct effect on my or my child.

His school was already well prepared before he started school. His school (appears to me) to go beyond what Sabrina's Law mandates.Examples of this are that all staff at his school is trained on epi-pen, which I don't think is part of the law. They have a peanut ban, also not required by the law. They already had some things in place for latex and insect allergies as well.

I did have a meeting with the principal last year, and that resulted in a change for the entire school -- but it was in September, so before the law, and it's also not mandated, we just agreed on the best course of action.

In case you're wondering -- yes, I do know how lucky I am. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Sabrina's Law has given me the frame work or the words with which to address the school.
It has presented a standard which I can expect them to meet.
It isn't a bubble to wrap my child in. It is the basic framework in which we as a team (school/parents/student) to protect her.
I am grateful to Sabrina's parents for their strength and determination to make this happen after suffering the tragic loss of their child.
From what I read about Sabrina Shannon, she was very much involved in educating others regarding allergy issues.
I think she would be pleased at how Ontario has responded.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:49 am 

Susan, I think you have perfectly described what Sabrina's Law is intended to do. It's a framework for the adults involved to use, to set things in place for a safe environment, with preparedness.

If we move, I'm glad to know I'll have that law in place just in case we need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Just fyi, we've updated the Sabrina's Law page on this site (accessed on the homepage, bottom right under "Get Involved): http://www.allergicliving.com/feature.asp?feature=41

It now includes the allergysafecommunities.ca link and the Ontario e-workshop on Sabrina's Law for educators, in addition to the legisaltion link and so on. Thought it would be a handy reference stop for those organizing, advocating or even just talking to an individual school. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:40 pm 

That's great, Gwen. I've also posted about this in the Resources forum and on the OASG website ( www.ottawaasg.com/OASG2006 ).

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:58 pm 

It is so sad that a young girl had to die to make these changes and I hope that other children need not die to get similar laws passed in all provinces.

At the school where I teach, mosty of our students are new Canadians and communication is an issue. One year we discovered half way throught the year that a boy had a peanut allergy. The parents had never communicated this with us. If something were to have happened, we were not at all prepared. Since Sabrina's Law passed, despite having no allergic students, we have all been trained by a Public Health Nurse ( 1/2 hour workshop, including every teacher practising with the Epipen trainer) and we have an Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Since we did some work on the site, the previous link has changed. If anyone was using it as a resource for others, please update: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=41

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'm re-raising this topic, as I'm curious both about the positive changes in schools since the law took effect, and the challenges that may remain in individual schools.

Wondering about some of these issues:

- Are EpiPens now readily available (as opposed to locked in an administrator's office)?
- Teacher / supply teacher training - are you seeing improvements?
- Lunchroom supervision: a fairly common complaint has been that it's not good enough - too few monitors for numbers of kids eating in their classes or lunchrooms. Anyone seeing improvements?
- What are the challenges that remain?