You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Brand of margarine?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:04 pm 

Hello, I am new to the boards. I hope to spend a little more time here to get to know you all and hope I can be of help to you some day :)

I am in need of help with regards to a margarine issue. We were using Too Good to Be True Non Hydrogenated margarine with some good success with our 3 year old. I have found out today that it has been discontinued and not available at all! Most of the labels I read have whey or lactic acid, if not modified milk ingredients... Help?

Any brand suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Fleishmann's lactose free margarine - we like it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:05 am 

So Susan, no whey or casein, lactatic acid?

I'm sorry I'm so paranoid, we just had a bad experience tonight when I tried a President Choice Celeb margarine my husband picked up a little while ago. There was NO milk products on the ingredients but my daughter had a bad reaction tonight. Had me just sick that I fed her something that made her so sick.

Where do you find the Fleishman's?

Thank you for responding :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:16 pm 

Hi,
Fleishman's is available in most groceries and is the only milk-free margarine available at this time.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:22 pm 

The PC too Good to be True lactose free margarine was changed to PC Celeb Lactose free margarine in August. There are several Celeb varieties of margarine available through PC and I actually picked up the wrong kind the first time I looked at the products. I contacted PC and the company said that only the lactose free was milk free. In a recent flyer from Independent grocer it advertised the margarine as milk free. The company said the margarine is produced on a line that also processes dairy but that there is a cleaning process between lines. We have been using this brand for over a month and a half with my severely milk allergic daughter and have had no problem at all. Someone also wrote into another forum about Canola Harvest lactose free margarine but I do not know where it is available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Girlmedic, don't apologise for trying to be carefull!
Feishmanns' lactose free margarine is dairy free. They had a recal a whie back but the stuff on the shelves if ok.
Dd has anaphylaxic allergies to dairy and egg. Believe me, if it cntained dairy we'd know.
Someone else mentioned in another post that Lanctancia, Olivina is dairy free. You might want to look into that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:06 pm 

It is available at safeway, however they have discontinued it at my local store. Not sure if canola harvest is replacing it with a slightly different version, or if safeway has discontinued it for being a low seller.

Personally, I find fleishmans to be kind of discusting.

Also, the pc brand does have a dairy warning on it even though it is really small and hard to notice. They do wash the equiptment, but by putting the dairy warning on it give themselves the right to be irresponsible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:20 pm 

We also use Fleischmann's. I find it works well for baking too.

Post subject: milk-free margarine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:56 pm 

Hi girlmedic, haven't been on the board for awhile so just catching up. The Celeb calorie-reduced (blue label) margarine is dairy-free. The regular Celeb contains whey. We use the Celeb for "buttering" toast, veggies,etc. but I use the Fleischman's for baking as I find the Celeb a very weird texture that doesn't do well in baking. It actually says right on the label that it's not recommended for baking. Fleischman's comes in packages of two 1-cup tubs so it's also good for baking because you don't have to measure it out (1 tub is 1 cup or 250 mL). Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:45 am 

I used to use PC until I found a very small "eqip latier" on it. I don't speak french so I called the company and was told that yes, it does share dairy filled equiptment, and that they felt that was enough of a warning because "may contain" is not required by law in canada. The celeb does have a small warning on it too if you look really close. Being a generic company they hire another company to make the product...and they did not recommend that I give it to my daughter. I was really upset. I had a margarine crisis for a while, but have found

http://earthbalance.net/

You can phone the manufacturer to find a retailer in your area. It is a great all around margarine, and really healthy too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:29 am 
Site Admin

We have recently found this margarine. It is dairy free and comes in bigger square tubs. I find it saltier than Fleishmman's.
http://nuvel.ca/english/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:51 pm 

Hi folks,

This margarine thread is an old one, but I was reading through these posts and was surprised to see no mention of Earth Balance margarine. It's far better-tasting than Fleischmann's, imo, and it's 100 per cent dairy free. No eggs either. Has anyone else tried it? I can't find it at Loblaws but it's regularly available at most health food stores.

Cheers,
Lee
dd -- 3 3/4, asthmatic, anaphylactic to milk, peanuts, tree nuts, egg and Pentacel
husband -- asthmatic, hay fever
me -- nada

Post subject: margarine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:58 pm 

In the latest issue of allergic living in the section letters to the editor a wmoan wrote in about her daughter recently having a reaction to fliechmans margarine. This woamn called the company and was informed that the product potentially unsafe for dairy allergic people. It did not sound like this reaction was linked to last years recall of the product. I called in myself to verify if the product was safe for dairy allergic and the person I spoke with said that it was not, and that there was a real risk of cross contamination. Has anyone else actually spoken with Fleichman's? Let me know. I have switched to earth balance
Stephanie

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 pm 

That is strange about Fleischmann's - I've heard nothing about this. I will ask someone that I know to check it out (she's very vigilant and very experienced at calling manufacturers).

We use Nuvel - it's a Quebec product. It does actually have a Kosher(Dairy) symbol on it, but I called the company and was assured that there is no dairy on the product line. They actually seemed confused about why the folks who advise them on the Kosher symbol wanted it on there...

I have been meaning to check out Earth Balance, but haven't had time to look for it.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:26 pm 

Quote:
I have been meaning to check out Earth Balance, but haven't had time to look for it.

Karen. It is sooo good. Bakes great, tastes great, great melted on pop corn. And REALLY healthy. It even comes in easy to use 1/2 cup sticks, as well as the tub. They also have a whipped one which spreads easier. As well as shortening made from healthy oils. You're really missing out on a GREAT product.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.