You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm 

Back in the spring I copied a page from allergy safe communities. I referred to a study that found common household cleaning products like Lysol sanitizing wipes and Clorox Formula 409 were effective in removing residual peanut allergen from surfaces. I checked their website but could not find a contact section. So am asking you guys.

I have been using the Lysol antibacterial wipes for three years now but find them so harsh it aggrivates my psoriasis on the palms of my hands. They are kept by the door for all guests to use. No cross-contamination here. Plus in the kitchen, car and purse.

Today I saw WET ONES - KIDS - ANTIBACTERIAL WIPES. On the container it has in bold letters - [i]Kills Bacteria[/i]. Also states - Gentle, yet effective, bacteria-killing formula in a fun fruit fragrance.

Does anyone know if these wipes are as effective in removing residual allergen as the Lysol Wipes? :?: I would love to hear the answer. Ahhh to have something gentle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:24 pm 

I always thought the Lysol Wipes were for surfaces like tables, not for hands. Do you use them on your hands?? That may be why they are so hard on you...

Anyway, my understanding is that any kind of wipes should do the trick with regards to removing allergens from hands. I assume it's the combination of what's in the wipes and the rubbing/friction that removes the allergen(s). (Someone correct me if you think I'm wrong!)

And just wanted to remind everyone that antibacterial gels like Purell will not work. They will remove bacteria but not allergens.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

We buy Teddies Choice by the case and re-fill clam-shell travel containers or the tub.
These work well on hands and tables.
Saving $$$ is important to us.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:28 am 

Quote:
Cleaning surfaces

If peanut butter or another allergen is present in the school environment, it is paramount that no residues be found on people’s hands or other surfaces.

Hands

A recent U.S. study suggests that liquid or bar soap and antibacterial wipes can effectively remove peanut butter residue from hands. However, anti-bacterial hand sanitizers and water alone are not as effective.1

Other surfaces

In the same study, researchers found that common household cleaning products such as Formula 409 (Clorox), Lysol sanitizing wipes, and Target brand cleaner with bleach were effective in removing residual peanut allergen from surfaces.

Not all products may be available in Canada, but the research suggests that comparable products would work equally well.

Dish soap did not effectively remove residue of peanut butter from surfaces.1

Above quote taken from: http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/de ... atsubid=38

So I guess antibacterial wipes are what we should be using for hands. I don't know if they are saying that baby wipes aren't sufficient (that's what I'm currently using for hands when we're out in public) - perhaps it's the "anti-bacterial" piece that removes residual allergen proteins?? I thought it very interesting that dish soap wasn't sufficient in removing peanut protein from counters -- something to keep in mind when visiting friends and family...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Just a note that we use baby wipes but we don't have peanut allergies.
You do what ever you are comfortable with. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:45 pm 

I have read those phrases too about residual peanut traces... does anyone know if all the data is peanut only or has this been tested for other allergens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:08 pm 

As far as I know it's for peanut only. Not to say that it wouldn't work for other things, but I believe the study only dealt with peanut protein.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:38 pm 

we use wet ones for hands and have not had problems
dd uses antibacterial gel when she uses bathroom at school, then uses wet one after that - she wont touch the soap cakes in the school toilets since someone said it was peanut soap (which it isnt).

we use the lysol wipes for tables etc

hope that helps