You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:36 pm 

Hi,
I'm a newbie here. Sure is nice to find a place where others can relate. Thought I'd share an incident that happened a few weeks ago. I was running into Walmart to pick something up after work and as I approached the store, I noticed they were running a promotion for Nestle Smarties - handing out free boxes. I thought I’d grab a box for my daughter but when the woman went to hand me one, I noticed they were peanut Smarties so I declined. When I left the store, I came to the realization that they were handing out the small snack sizes to people going in and coming out. I immediately thought of my daughter and cross contamination. If she had been with me I would not have been able to go in the store. I emailed Walmart and pointed out that people were eating these Smarties as they walked around the store touching everything. The manager of the store called me back and apologized. He said they hadn’t thought of it and appreciated my call etc. etc.
I am not entirely clear on cross contamination. Can someone fill me in? If someone was to touch a product in the store, how long would the peanut protein be active?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:17 pm 

My guess is that it's there and a potential risk until it is cleaned off. I don't think I've ever heard of peanut protein being "time sensitive"... but I'm not certain.
I'm glad to hear that the Walmart Rep. was sensitive to the issue and responsive to your concerns! Wow - you just never know eh? I'd be interested to know if anyone else has the "factual" answer to your question about residual peanut butter on surfaces...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:45 pm 

I recall hearing that it takes milk 6 months to decopose on a surface to no longer be able to cause an allergic reaction. I recall hearing 2 years for peanut. I am not sure where I heard these...its just some of the various allergy facts floating around in my head :D .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.