You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mayan Riviera, Mexico ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:10 pm 

Can anyone give any opinions on travel to the Mayan Riviera such as the quality of hospitals in the area? Any good/bad experiences to relate?

Thanks, we are trying to decide whether it is safe to go this fall/winter.

:?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:13 pm 

Sorry, I should have mentioned we are worried about my son's peanut allergy.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:15 pm 

Quality of hospitals in mexico? Scary. Taxis and public buses have holes in the floor and you can see the road :shock: . Lets just say I had a new found appreciation for Canada.

We were there last spring, me and my husband. We were in Cancun, north of mayan riviera. Pretty much, you leave the resort (or resort cities like cancun) and you are in a developing country. A friend of ours needed medical care while in cancun and got some scary drugs which made him high. The drugs used there are not necessarily legal in Canada. Resort food is mostly buffet (if you go all inclusive) and the locals just don't get the concept of allergies. They even fried fish in a pan and then chicken in the same pan for a woman with a fish allergy (obviously she did not eat the chicken). Packaged food might have 8 spanish ingredients and 5 english...so you're like what are the ones you did not translate?! Personally, I would feel much more comfortable with disney land, hawaii or florida...quality hospitals IN ENGLISH if you need them. I have heard great things about disney on this forum.

P.S. I was in Airdrie a few weeks ago. We were camping in balzac at the rv park.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:17 am 

Thanks for the quick reply! This is what I feared.

I appreciate the information and hope you enjoyed the camping!

Post subject: Mexico
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:40 pm 

I have travelled to Mexioc (pre kids) and now that I have children with allergies I would not be comfortable taking them there (at least at this age). I would be more comfortable taking them to Costa Rica. I have found the key to travelling internationally is getting a condo/cabin/home where you can home base, do day trips and manage your own cooking. Also, research the medical facilities and hospitals through the local governments and contact the hospitals in the area directly and buy extra medical insurance. We did a three week trip to London and the south of Spain and everything worked out fabulously. I found Spain to be allergy friendly. I brushed up on a bit of Spainish, had all the allergy issues translated to Spainish, converted my recipes to Spainish and carried the Passport to Dining Out. The extra work was well worth it. Good luck on planning your vacation. Oh, we have also done Maui - and that too worked out great.

Post subject: Mexico
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:41 pm 

I have travelled to Mexico (pre kids) and now that I have children with allergies I would not be comfortable taking them there (at least at this age). I would be more comfortable taking them to Costa Rica. I have found the key to travelling internationally is getting a condo/cabin/home where you can home base, do day trips and manage your own cooking. Also, research the medical facilities and hospitals through the local governments and contact the hospitals in the area directly and buy extra medical insurance. We did a three week trip to London and the south of Spain and everything worked out fabulously. I found Spain to be allergy friendly. I brushed up on a bit of Spainish, had all the allergy issues translated to Spainish, converted my recipes to Spainish and carried the Passport to Dining Out. The extra work was well worth it. Good luck on planning your vacation. Oh, we have also done Maui - and that too worked out great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:50 pm 

Thanks for the advice!
I appreciate it.