You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Fall 2006
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:19 pm 

I absolutely love this magazine. My husband picked it up from our mailbox last night and brought it into me. I almost get giddy when I see a new issue. I've had it less the 24hrs and have already read it about 5 times!

It's great!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:16 pm 

I've just read parts of the Fall magazine and found the article on "Teen Talk" to be very helpful. I have a child going back to High School and its a bit of an eye opener that some schools aren't very pro-active about Sabrina's Law. I can understand the general public not knowing much about the Law or Epi-pen use but schools should be in the loop by now. Also, the article opened my eyes about the possibility of using a nut allergy as a bullying tactic. Scary but quite realistic. It will be something I will discuss with my teen. Thank you for dialoguing with thoses teens and giving us a realistic view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks mygirlsyd for the extremely encouraging words - you just made all the long hours to produce a magazine worth it!

And Pepper, glad you found the teen discussion helpful. I, too, found it a bit of an eyeopener. Clearly, there's still a lot of work to be done in the high schools.

FYI, Allergic Liviing mag. is going to start a regular feature with teenagers. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Pepper, meant to mention, we put up a longer version of "Teen Talk" in the online Features archive, which you can access from the homepage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:10 pm 

I just got a free issue in the mail a few days ago and was THRILLED. I had seen this magazine online and was wondering what would be in it, and what the full value of the info in it would be.

I LOVE IT, it has so much more than I ever thought cold be in it. I MUST get a subscription ASAP and I will pass the free copy on to other people I know with allergy's so they too can be glad to have read this!

Please keep up the great work. I know you must work terribly hard but you are doing a wonderful job and making me very happy and more confidant on what I can do for my girls and their allergy's

BRAVO!!!!

Del

DD#1 Clara Jean 6
Allergic to Peanuts and Red dye
DD#2 Two 1/2 Allergic to eggs, Melon's, Cirtusalso keeping her away from her older sisters allergys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Del, Thank you so much for such warm words :oops: - you just made all the work worthwhile. I'll make sure the small but vital AL team sees this thread. Thanks guys. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:42 am 

Can I make a (very minor) complaint here? Over-all I loved the magazine. I try to read it cover to cover - even some articles that don't pertain to my situation at all, because one day they might.

There was a small article about food allergies as portrayed in some tv-shows/movies. One that was mentioned was House, one of my favourite shows. According to the article, one show was about a young girl that had an anaphylactic reaction to her boyfriend taking penicillin, which she is allergic to. In that show, Dr. House does think that's the cause - but it turns out the girl had checked the medicine he took - and she wasn't allergic to it. Her reaction was actually to a tick. (For anyone that saw the show -- think about the elevator scene. :oops: ) I still felt it was a great show, and the fact that a doctor who specializes in the *rare* would quickly check regarding a reaction that might have been caused from what her boyfriend ate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

And the winner of the spot the flaw in the House item is .... AnnaMarie. I know, I know, we realized that error after we'd gone to press. (Actually the story was supposed to say that House "suspects" the patient is having an anaphylactic reaction to penicillin. Unfortunately, "suspects" got dropped in - ahem - my editing.)

And, yes, the tick was the real culprit. Sorry House fans, we're usually solid on our facts but that was a goof.