You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:33 pm 

I call it my fridge, but it's actually the kind of coolers you plug in the car and can plug indoors too. I tested mine to see the stability of the temparature and all and trust it (but not for raw meats!). Read carefull as I have seen some lately that would not make it to the 4degree level unless it was winter!

Telling them??? :oops: :oops: :oops: This is where I am not fully in line with what "should be done" versus what "has to be done" :oops: :oops: :oops: The few that happened to find out had no problem as long as I promised to be extremely safe. My burner can be plugged in a regular outlet and I am carefull.

The only thing I noticed was that I had to open the door last winter when I was making vegetable soup as it was getting a little too hot in the room... so all my neighbours wondered where that smell came from... good thing I knew my neighbours :lol:

I haven't traveled in years because of my allergies... now I just can't wait to go on my next trip!!! I buy a little something new as I see what works and what doesn't.

But I do have to say that once I get to where I'm going... there's not much I can do on my own outside of the hotel room, car and concert hall because of my inhaled allergy... I still have to stay in a controlled environment where I (or a friend I trust) have control on the food that comes and goes... but I did discover photography, so it is great when I do some driving around ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:24 pm 

I figure that if you stay in a hotel with a microwave oven that you wouldn't be using that much more power if you had those burners . . . it's hard to know what to do in these situations!

I'll have to get one of those plug-in coolers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:16 pm 

Well, our weekend away was a huge success and so much fun!!! The meals were great (compliments to the chef... oh yeah, that would be me!!) It felt SO great to go on a little holiday (we kept calling it a holiday, even though it was only 2 days in a hotel... it felt like a holiday to us!!). And getting out travelling again was just amazing. It was a great feeling to successfully manage the whole weekend of food, and still eat really well.

Our hotel room was a basic room with no kitchen facilities (except for a mini-fridge not large enough to hold enough food for a family of 4), so we brought along a bit of a portable kitchen.

We brought one of the those plug-in coolers (after reading all about them on this chat), and it was great. But, I have to agree with Mylene... I don't believe it can cool as well as a fridge, so I ended up transferring over all the meat, cheese and milk to the mini-fridge, but kept the portable plug-in cooler going for fruits, vegetables, and drinks (mostly beer - lol). It's a little bit inconvenient inasmuch as you need to always supply the cooler with power (from the car or plug-in adaptor for the hotel room), so making extended stops along the way would not really be possible. Mylene, have you found a solution to this?

We also brought along our rice cooker. I had made chicken teriyaki in advance, then froze it before our trip so the 2nd night dinner would not consist of 2 day old cooked meat. Anyway, I made the rice, and while the rice was cooking, I cut up the cooked chicken. As soon as the rice was done, I threw in the cut up chicken and stirred it up quickly and put the lid back on. Within about 2 minutes, the whole dinner was HOT - I couldn't believe how much the rice heated the chicken!

We will defnitely be doing this again - in fact, we're going away again in a couple of months to the Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls. We've got the travel bug now!! (at least for short jaunts)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:30 pm 

Quote:
It's a little bit inconvenient inasmuch as you need to always supply the cooler with power (from the car or plug-in adaptor for the hotel room), so making extended stops along the way would not really be possible.

We travel with a fifth wheel. During travel there is NO power going to the fridge. Power to the fridge is either electric or propane. We DO NOT travel with the propane on. We pack ice packs in the fridge and freezer during travel...and move the fridge ones back into the freezer when we have power.

If you have power while traveling in the car...an ice pack in there shouldn't melt too much...and then be able to keep things cool when there is no power.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 am 

Saskmommy, what is a fifth wheel? I haven't heard of this. Is it a type of cooler?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:52 pm 

It is a type of recreational vehicle (RV). I fifth wheel is pulled by a truck and attatches to a large hitch that has been installed in the truck box.

http://travelaire.com/

Ours is not listed there. Ours is an extremely light for a fifth wheel (we were thinking gas milage here) and does not have a slide out...but it has bunk beds with a double on the bottom and single on top. It can be pulled by only a dodge ram 1/2 ton with hemi. No other 1/2 ton will pull it. Any bigger and a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck is required.

Friends of ours whose kids also have allergies purchased a tent trailer this year

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/defaul ... e=brochure

Tent trailers don't have bathrooms (usually) and it is a little more like "roughing it". However lots of RV parks have decent shower/bathroom facilities. They can pull theirs with their mini van.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:36 pm 

I found ours. It is WW 264.

http://www.minardsleisureworld.com/fift ... stwind.htm

This is our trailer except ours is made by travelaire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:31 pm 

Julie, I recall your stories from when your son was younger and prone to reacting to residues when crawling around on the floor, etc., so I'm especially glad to hear that
your family had a good (and allergy-free) vacation---it's so hard with allergies and young children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:41 am 

for extended stops... haven't found much more than ice packs... but I mostly do not do extended stops where I cannot plug my fridge in a corner...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:51 am 

Well, we took some baby steps this weekend and we stayed at a hotel, just outside the city (near the airport). We did it just for a fun with our 4-year old. He's never stayed at a hotel before, and they had a pool and he loves to swim. Also I think I needed to gauge my comfort level with travelling with fa's. And yes, we calculated the time from the hotel to the hospital, just because we always need to know.
We had a great time. The hotel room had a microwave and mini-fridge. We brought a cooler with a dinner I prepared in advance, and instant oatmeal for breakfast. Along with fruit, snacks and drinks, we were set. Mind you, it was only for 1 night, so I didn't have to be too creative, only 1 dinner and 1 breakfast. Plus I wanted to keep it simple so we would have time to swim, play and enjoy. Really glad I brought paper plates and cups. This was not a kitchen by any means, no sink to clean up, so paper is the way to go.
The hotel (Hilton Garden Inn) has a restaurant in the lobby, it's pretty open. I had actually visited a week before and noticed the cooking fumes from the open kitchen were very noticable in the lobby. Smelled yummy, but for those of us dealing with fa's, a bit scary. So, when we checked in this weekend, I asked the woman at the front desk if she knew if the menu contained any peanut or nut products. She didn't know and didn't seem to care. I asked if she had a menu there, she simply said no. (Too bad, she could have made a customer really happy if she showed some concern.) So, I walked the 15 feet to the restaurant side of the lobby and looked over the menu. The woman who appeared to be the supervisor asked if she could help. I told her I was looking for peanuts or nuts on the menu, as my son has an allergy. She said she was pretty sure there weren't any, but let's check with the executive chef. He happened to be right there, she asked him, he answered no peanuts or nuts to her and I, and I was happy. NOT that we were going to be eating in the restaurant anyway, but if they are going to be baking pb cookies in the morning, I need to know! (The 2 times I had been to the hotel, they had a big platter of cookies at the front desk. Up high, out of child's reach. When asked, the front desk woman said she had never seen pb cookies, only choc chip. But I didn't trust her and anyway that answer isn't acceptable to my situation.) Plus I toyed with the idea of ordering room service for my son, like a glass of milk or something, but I wouldn't consider doing it if there were pb sandwiches on the menu.
All in all, a good experience, a learning too. Mostly I learned, I can do this! Yes, there were cookies on the front desk counter, and the front desk clerk was unhelpful, and I had to make our own food. But, those were simple obstacles. Actually, daily obstacles that we all face in our fa world.
Best part, my son had an amazing time. We got to watch the movie Cars in BED!, he got to keep an eye on the highway (kept checking out the hotel window and letting us know if the cars were still going, even after it got dark, wow!!), got to go swimming with Dad in the pool 2x, got to eat special snacks Mom brought, got to ride the elevator...and now he knows what a hotel is! He was sad to leave. We will definitely do it again. Hopefull one day we will work our way up to the 'travelling kitchen'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:46 pm 

Catherine I'm glad to hear your little guy had a great time -- it's funny how we're so happy to see them enjoy the little things. You're right - it's all about slowly tackling those things that take us out of our comfort zones...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:44 pm 

Catherine, this is just great!!!!!! Congradulations, this is the first step out ;)

You mentionned the fumes in the lobby. This has an impact on the hotels/motels I choose. I have actually moved to express check in /out by being a "member" of a hotel chain so that I spend less time in the lobby when I can. Also, when choose the hotels/motels, I opt for the ones with an access away from the lobby and most times opt for a motel because of the direct access to the room from the outside, that way I see the lobby only at check-in/ out and not everytime I walk out of my room.

For example, this weekend, I'm going out of town and the hotel where I will be staying offers rooms on the first floor with direct outside access for 6$ more than on the other floors... well, that's the kind of extra fee I'm willing to pay to walk directly outside without seeing the lobby too many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:46 pm 

Good to hear that you had a great vacation in spite of FA.

On my recent trip, I ate a lot of oatmeal for breakfast too . . . which I miss now that I'm off all gluten (I've yet to try the gluten-free oats).

I used just regular quaker oats (i.e. not the instant kind) and added honey, salt, safflower/canola oil (and water, of course) + pumpkin pie spice and sometimes cinnamon before zapping it in the microwave. It was the best oatmeal ever! (the key is the pumpkin pie spice and the honey) It was especially good when I didn't mix it up beforehand and added too little water . . . . so some of the oats were cooked as usual and some were crispy (like the top of apple crisp or something).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:06 pm 

Mmmm ...good tip about the oatmeal, pumpkin spice!

I don't think I'll be having instant oatmeal in the microwave again anytime soon. It's not so bad when you add hot water from the kettle, when you're in a pinch. But adding the water and mixing and then microwaving, I did not enjoy.
Little guy seemed to like it though.
I will bring real oatmeal next time :)