You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:38 pm 

I was shopping today and saw some Pillsbury's products, and just wanted to say how much I like their labelling. They specifically state what allergens are in the product right after their list of ingredients.

For example, "Contains wheat and soy".

So if you are "only" dealing with the top 9 priority allergens, you can initially skip the list of ingredients and look at the bold "Contains" statement to get an initial sense of what allergens are in the product. For us, if I see "Contains milk" or "Contains egg", I just put the product back and continue on. It saves time. Which I definitely don't have enough of.

And by the way, they have a number of things that are free of peanut, nut, egg, and dairy, like their Crossaints, their Italian Breadsticks, and their Turnovers, which makes me very happy.

So THUMBS UP to PILLSBURY!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:10 pm 

Hi Karen,

I had previously bought the chocolate chip dough. I went to purchase it last week and when I read the label I was shocked because it now reads in bold that it may contain traces of peanut or nuts. :cry: I was really sad about this because my daughter loved these cookies but at the same time I was happy that they are being cautious and have added that in. So I guess we'll just be sticking to the crossaints...for now they are still save.

Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:55 pm 

Karen, thanks for the tip! I hadn't really bought Pillsbury before, I guess just figured it was probably a no-go due to the "baked goods" aspect.
Today I bought their Flaky Rolls. I was really happy to see a "Contains..." as well as a "May contain..." on the label. They are labelling for both. (Sometimes I see a "Contains...., but I'm not sure if the manufacturer lists "may contains" as well. Am I too uptight? Maybe!! But that's ok.)
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:04 pm 

Catherine wrote:
(Sometimes I see a "Contains...., but I'm not sure if the manufacturer lists "may contains" as well. Am I too uptight? Maybe!! But that's ok.)
Thanks again.

You are NOT too uptight. Some companies label that way -- they put "Contains..." in bold at the bottom, but they do NOT list may contains or trace amounts.

Fortunately, Pillsbury does now list for cross-contamination. :)

Anna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:13 pm 

Thanks AnnaMarie!!

It's funny but General Mills was recently banned from my shopping list because I was not satisfied with their response when I sent an inquiry to them regarding their labelling practices.
Now I see that Pillsbury is made by General Mills. Hmmm....