You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:32 pm 

As for coffee...I react to brewed, bought and made at home. I have tried dozens of different brands: whole bean (organic/commercial), ground (all kinds), imported (whole bean and ground)...etc. The one I reacted to the least (had 3 cups before I noticed a reaction) was Tim Hortons (find ground in a can). I am highly sensitive to corn derivatives and additives made from corn. There are other people on another forum I belong to who are corn allergic and are having trouble with coffee. Oh well...I can live without it...sigh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:47 pm 

Wow, Karen---you're way more helpful than my pharmacist! (well, actually, at the pharmacy I go to there is one really helpful pharmacists and two that are . . .umm. . .moderately helpful.) Thanks for the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:33 pm 

That's why they pay me the big bucks... :lol: :lol: :lol:

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:40 pm 

Eldi wrote:
As for coffee...I react to brewed, bought and made at home.

Wow, not fun. (Except that I hate coffee, so I actually can't sympathize 100%.)

Is there any chance that it's actually coffee you're allergic to?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:50 pm 

I don't think I'm allergic to coffee... I've been allergic to corn my entire life and have only started having problems with coffee in the past few years. I used to drink 3-4 cups daily...no problem. I really do think it's the additives. They are being used in more and more foods. Since corn is not recognized as an allergen (top 8/10) it, and its derivatives, are being used quite freely. On the other hand, maybe I've developed an allergy to coffee...dunno...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:22 am 

Here is a list of corn and corn derivatives to avoid if allergic to corn:

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn- ... e-list.php

This list appears under Jenny Connor's Website at: http://www.cornallergens.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 am 

That's a great site - would you mind posting about it on Resources?

I definitely have a lot of sympathy for those with a corn allergy. That's a looong list of things to avoid.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:05 pm 

I'll post this elsewhere too, but I've been looking into getting medication through a compounding pharmacy for my upcoming GI procedures. (see the website address Karen posted on this thread)

I wasn't all that impressed with a pharmacist I spoke to at one of the compounding pharmacies in Toronto. I won't post the name of the pharmacy, because maybe the pharmacist was just having an off day or something. But I just wasn't convinced that she was getting it. I had to repeat my explanation of why I couldn't have the citro mag produced commercially. And I found I had to ask lots of questions to get info.---the info. wasn't provided for me. For instance, when I asked how much it would cost approximately, the pharmacist said she would need to know the concentration and the amount I need. I explained that I just needed a small bottle . . . like the one that is commercially prepared, but it wasn't until we moved on to another topic and then returned to this one (I was being persistant) that she agreed that that would be enough info. to go on. (They can't estimate how much it would cost without doing a lot of work---I don't expect them to do the calculations unless I'm going to buy it for sure. But she could have figured out the concentration and the amount based on the information I did give her.)

Anyways, I called the Falls Pharmacy (my parents could get the stuff for me). They mention that they help people with food allergies on their website so I figured they'd be more likely to be informed. The pharmacist there was *so* helpful. And she immediately knew the concentration and amount that would be needed! see: http://www.fallspharmacy.com/

She thought I'd be better off working with a pharmacy that is closer by so I could decide which flavouring to use and what kind of sweetener (she suggested stevia--but she wanted me to try it first to make sure it was okay for me). Sounds like I would get to do a taste test. The flavouring isn't really all that important to me, however! I'd be fine with no flavouring, really. I was assured that they have access to all the ingredient info. on the flavourings. Sounds like their prices are lower too.

As for my question about who would pay for the sedatives if I need them specially compounded, she said that the hospital *should* accomodate me . . . she thinks I should try to talk to the pharmacist at the hospital (which is advice I got from someone on another website as well).

Since I'm in the West end, she recommended the Medicine Shoppe (Kingsway Medical Building), 1917 Bloor St. W. She knows people who work there, so I'm guessing that I'll be happy with that pharmacy. But if not, I think I'll go with the Falls Pharmacy!

It is so encouraging to know that there are options for those of us with lots of allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:06 pm 

I'm glad that you've (hopefully) found some help in this area Helen.

I need a good news story right about now...

See my post in Dining. :(

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:42 pm 

Just wondering...my brother has complained that when he eats hot air popped popcorn, it gives him headaches. He doesn't have any problems eating corn in general -- does anyone have an opinion on this? (I'm not suggesting an allergy to corn but I thought that this type of reaction to popcorn odd...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:07 pm 

That would be a hard one to figure out--I don't think that the medical community has much of an answer about why some foods cause headaches for some people.

I have noticed though that I sometimes react to some foods differently depending on how they are cooked/prepared. I've noticed that I'm reacting a bit to millet now :cry: for example. I did notice a slight reaction a long time ago to puffed millet by Nature's Path . . . I stopped eating puffed millet because I assume there was a x-contam. issue there. But maybe it was the millet itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:38 pm 

If anyone is allergic to corn and is wondering why they are reacting to fresh meat, the following site might explain it. I am not allergic to meat, but I have horrible skin reactions to store bought meat. I do just fine with farm meat and chicken, both of which are corn fed. Citric acid used to be made from citrus fruit, but it is now commercially made from corn. I have the WORST ever reactions to citric acid which is added to hundreds of foods.

http://ciir.cs.umass.edu/cgi-bin/ua/web ... &query=and

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:39 pm 

This is one more reason why we NEED to get corn recognized as an allergy:

Nontoxic cornstarch or talcum powder is often used to aid air bag deployment. It is the "smoke" you may have seen released into a vehicle's interior in demonstrations.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/n ... gFront.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 pm 

Here is a link to a site that shows all of the thousands of uses for corn. Needless to say, it is a challenge to find food that is corn free. It can be done...but only with a lot of research, careful shopping and cooking everything from scratch.

http://www.corn.org/Tapping2006.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:21 pm 

Hi all,

I was just introduced to this wonderful site. My daughter was a verrrry sick Ltl1. From 0 to 11 months old. Dr.'s wanted to operate, give her a new bowel, blah blah. We faught with Dr.'s at Mac & new it was allergies. We took her to a naturalpathic Dr. for help & one look & he said corn. He did testing & it was corn. We had to cleanse her & begin again. I turned to the computer & on a web site & met Susan a couple of years back. She really helped me out. She has just introduced me to this site. I am so impressed.
Our story is long & we made many mistakes leaning how to avoid corn. We still are learning!

I did however notice The word Maltodextrin & dextrin dextrose have not been mentioned here. These are corn also. They are in everything. I read here someone is having trouble with yogart....maltodextrin. Yup... I know there is a yogart out there that it is not in I am sorry I can't remember what it is. I also read abt. Soy/corn being related ????? I am not sure abt. that as we had to turn to soy products as our Ltl1 had a milk allergy also. (grown out of). I do know there is maltodextrin in many soy products & I have learned just because food is in a specialiy store doesn't mean it's corn free. Look for the hidden words. Yah now the ones we can't pronounce or even begin to try. Again remember even thou it's organic doesn't mean it's corn free. In the Superstores around here there is an organic isle...we stiil don't have many choices. Our best bet is to make things that are fresh.
I must say I am suprised to see abt. the meat but it explains why our Ltl1 one complains everynight. The only time she doesn't is when I get pure meat at the market. Thanks so much for that.
The milk thing has blown me away also, I haven't notced any reation accept she can't get rid of a nasty cold that has being hanging around for more than a month now. Her ears are clogged & sore thraot. I will cut out the milk & go back to soy. Silk doesn't have maltodextrin for sure.
I hope I have helped someone out here.

Oh yah I forgot to mention don't use ZEST....it has corn in it, my poor child was covered in hives. Another one of those I forgot things.

I live & learn each day. Please help me to learn more thanks :)

Thanks for listening
LTL1 's Mom

LTL1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next