You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:43 am 

Here's the document. it is very long, so i'll quote the section i mean. you could maybe do a search for this section on the page:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:bbNligGdd98J:www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/AC/03/transcripts/3977t1.doc

You can also download this as a word file (if you click on the link at the top of the page)

Quote:
DR. HAMILTON: I have one last question. How do you deal with the issue that it has been shown, to the best of my knowledge, but bananas in the United States are actually taken to a site where they are gassed with ethylene gas, and in the process of maturing the bananas, a protein, cross-reactive with natural rubber latex, Hevea, Hev b 6 related protein actually is created or developed in the banana, whereas, the child can eat a banana from Brazil that is not processed in this way, a latex allergic child can eat a banana from Brazil, but not a banana from America, and a person who also has a cross-reactive sensitivity to the components Hevean, which is cross-reactive with banana, the component of banana.

So, the question is how do we deal with the development or the actual production of a cross-reactive allergenic protein by the distributor that really doesn't relate to natural rubber latex gloves, but is clearly a problem to the latex allergic sensitized individual.

So in the case of banana, the way the fruit is ripened (artificially) has an affect on its allergenicity . . . Not sure if this applies to fruits and veggies other than to banana . . . but I would guess yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:54 pm 

Hi My name is Sherry
I suffer from OAS as well, I also have anaphlatic shock too..

I was told by the allergist was that a lot of the ones on my list where cross allergies to haveing a sevre Latex allergie..

I have anaphaltic shock to
peaches(x allergie)
plums(x allergies)
nectorines
latex
and
Apitcots
I also have OAS with
Strawberries(speacially ones from the states)
blackberrie
pears
apples(all types)
cherrie
Kiwi
banana(only at certian times in the year)
I also get extermly itchy hands with hives sometimes from Potatoes as well, but they are also on the x allergie list to latex..

Post subject: OAS allergies
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:00 pm 

I have OAS. My mom is anaphylactic to: tree nuts (cashews, hazel nuts, almonds, etc.) she is also allergic to sesemee products! My dad is allergic (may be anaphylactic but I'm not sure) to shellfish. So allergies are in my genes. I recently heard about OAS 4 days ago by a family friend.
My allergies
- apples (with skin)
- peaches (with sometimes without skin)
- nectarines (with sometimes without skin)
- cherries*****
- kiwi skins
I'm very allergic to cherries. My throat, mouth, around my mouth and also my ears get very itchy. Hives appear around my mouth. And my tounge and lips swell up. My mother also gets itchy inside of her ears when she gets a reaction. I first reacted when I was 11. I had eaten an apple - I was in Hawaii. Does it make a difference?!? Not really sure - and I had gotten hives around my mouth. And I didn't have another reaction.
Last year, I had a few. I had assumed it was because of the pesticides. But, reading all of these submittions it's obviously not!!!
This year I started reacting a lot!! I react to kiwi skins (when I was a baby) and peach, apple and nectarine skins. When I eat peaches and nectarines I feel itchy in my: throat, mouth, ears, lips and around my lips. But, when I eat apples I only have itchiness sometimes. I love to eat fruits and vegetables. I haven't had any reaction to vegetables. And I'm not sure about pears because I haven't had them in a while. Can continous eating of these fruits cause an anaphylactic reaction??
I always thought I was the only one with this type of reaction. It's great to know I'm not the only one. My friends think my allergies are a little bit strange!!!
- Monique

Last edited by niquez_08 on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:07 pm 

I have horrible (skin related) reactions to certain meat as well. It's not the meat, but the citrates/citric acid they are putting on meat. I do just fine with farm bought beef and chicken. I am severely allergic to corn and both of these additives are commercially made from corn. Perhaps some of you are also reacting to these additives?????

http://ciir.cs.umass.edu/cgi-bin/ua/web ... &query=and

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:03 pm 

Hi Monique,

Do you have pollen allergies as well? If you do, that's classic OAS.

The cherries allergy sounds really serious--I wouldn't eat them at all! (But if you can have them cooked, that's probably okay) Yes, OAS can cause anaphylaxis. It might be a good idea to make an appointment with an allergist--the allergist will probably test you for pollens first. The allergy tests aren't as accurate for the fruits and veggies . . . I've read that some allergists prefer to use the actual fruits and veggies (they put it on your skin and prick it) But if you're majorly allergic to pollens, probably the allergist would just say that you have OAS without the testing. (That's what happened to me anyways.)

When you go, make sure that you get a chance to explain your worst symptoms . . . then the doctor can decide whether or not to give you an epipen.

I find that I can have most things cooked that I can't eat raw (which is typical).

About apples---I used to find that some varieties caused more of aproblem for me than others. Red Delicious caused major throat and mouth itching. But I used to eat McIntosh apples . . . but very ocassionally I would get a little hive on my lip. Now I just cook all apples!

I used to be kind of embarrassed about this allergy because I didn't know what it was and people do think that it sounds odd. But now that I can explain it, I don't mind :)

Post subject: OAS Allergies
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:00 pm 

Dear Helen,
Yes I do have pollen allergies. I have quite an active lifestyle so I'm outside a lot. During Phys.Ed we were playing Ultimate Frisbee and we were diving so there were pollens all over my body. Afterwards my skin was feeling itchy so I tried to use water to try to rinse off some of the pollens (but obviously they were on my clothes also). Then later on we played soccer. About 10 - 15 minutes after playing I had gotten hives all over my thighs from the pollens. Sometimes I will get rashes or hives when I'm around some trees and in parks/forests for long periods of time.

And about the apples--- I used to eat Red Delicious Apples and I would react to them. Currently and for 2 or 3 years I have been eating Royal Gala Apples (from New Zealand) and only sometimes I will react to them

- Monique
P.S. Thanks for your previous reply :D

Last edited by niquez_08 on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:00 pm 

Hmmm....maybe I should try just one bite of the Royal Gala apples to see how it goes. Thanks for the tip :)

I guess it depends on how badly you want to take part in outdoor sports . . . but it might be worthwhile to get a dr's note for the times when PhysEd class involves contact with grass.

I've gotten a hive or too as well from walking in the park . . . I live in what must be the *worst* pollen area in Toronto (but I chose to live here because I love all the trees!)

Post subject: Oral Allergy Syndrom
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:51 pm 

Hey Helen,
That's pretty funny, I live in that type of area too!!!! My backyard backs onto a forest :P

- Monique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:13 pm 

We're only finding out this year that my youngest daughter seems to have OAS. She first reacted to strawberries (big welts on her mouth), then kiwi and now peaches and nectarines. She seems to react to pineapple as well. (Personally my tongue hurts after eating a good portion of fresh pineapple. I asked my husband if he felt that way and he said no, so maybe I have it too!). She said that a lot of things have made her mouth feel funny for as long as she could remember but she thought it was normal. It's only this year that she complained about it because it is worse and she also now gets visible welts on her lips.

I will mention it to my daughter's allergist at her next appt. My question is should she avoid those fruits entirely in the meanwhile?

Do you think that the allergist will prescribe an epi-pen?

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:11 am 

I would probably avoid those fruits, especially if her reactions seem to be worsening. Apparently if you cook or even microwave the fruits for a short bit they should be okay, but others with OAS may have more to add to that. (And I'm sure some of the fruits are better just left alone rather than cooked/nuked!) Can your daughter eat something like strawberry jam or strawberry pie with no symptoms? Or does that cause her problems too?

OAS can result in anaphylaxis, from what I've read, although apparently it's relatively rare.

I guess you'll just have to wait to see what the allergist says for the auto-injector. I supposed you could request a prescription if it would make you or your daughter feel better to have it.

I don't know anyone who "just" has OAS, so I don't know what the standard is with regards to auto-injectors. My oldest has OAS, but he carries an EpiPen for other things, and his OAS doesn't seem to be that severe.

K.

Post subject: OAS
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:11 pm 

Dear Helen,
I just got tested last week for allergies. I found out that I'm allergic to hazelnuts, almonds and shrimp!!! :? I'm being tested for O.A.S next month. But, it was sort of unexpected to find out that I was allergic to tree nuts and shell fish. But then again my mom is allergic to treenuts and my dad shellfish. Well, I guess I'll find out the truth about my fresh fruit allergy next month.
Thanks,
Monique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:42 pm 

Hi monique, Sorry to hear about the test results! Did you avoid tree nuts and shellfish before just in case? Or is this the first time you suspected an allergy?

I avoid all shellfish too . . . I had clam chowder once years and years ago and didn't react. But on my last scratch test, I reacted to some types of shellfish and clams was the worst---it took several days for the hive to go away. So I'm not 100% sure I'm allergic, but it isn't something that I want to find out the hard way!

the hazelnuts make sense because of the OAS problems. . . I believe they cross react with birch (some tree pollen in any case).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:51 pm 

Dear Helen,
I've always been able to eat treenuts and shellfish. The weekend before I was tested I ate shrimp!!! So, I was a little shocked. Now I just avoid all shellfish and treenuts just in case!!
- Monique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:12 pm 

I can see why you would want to avoid those foods. But did you mention to your dr. that you eat shrimp and nuts without an apparent reaction? (I'm just asking because I know from experience that doctors often just do the scratch test (well, actually, the nurse does), hand you the results, and don't give one any idea of what to do with them. I wouldn't want to advise you to go ahead and eat foods that you tested allergic to, but there is a chance that they might have been false positives so you might want to discuss it with your allergist. Maybe he/she will want to do further testing.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:11 pm 

A good 2-part article about OAS can be found at

http://www.allergysa.org/html/oas.html

http://www.allergysa.org/html/oas2.html

K.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next