You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:31 am 

I was diagnosed last year with a wheat allergy on top of all my other food allergies. I'm not severely allergic---I generally get a few hives, have a slightly upset stomach and feel tired. I don't always get hives, though. I actually think I might have been mildly allergic for most of my life. When I was young I often avoided whole wheat bread for periods of time. And for years meals with lots of wheat made me feel tired...but I just figured that it was the high carb content or something.

The allergist I was going to didn't seem optimistic about this allergy going away but suggested that if I wanted to try it again after a period of time I could make another appointment. He emphasized that I should not try it again on my own.

I'm wondering whether anyone has developed a wheat allergy as an adult that went away after awhile. I really really miss bread :( (I know there are wheat free breads available, but I can't eat potato flour or soy or egg....and the list goes on.)

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:39 pm 

Gosh, I don't know. I tried to do some research, and came accross this, which I think is just bizarre:

Long Term Remission and Alleviation of Symptoms in Allergy and Crohn's Disease Patients Following Spinal Adjustment for Reduction of Vertebral Subluxations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:29 pm 

Thanks, Audra. Sounds interesting.

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:31 am 

I dunno if I'd trust a re-adjusted spine to cure my allergies, but what do I know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

I think that's claptrap that has nothing to do with allergy or the immune system.

To the question on outgrowing allergy - bad news for those of us with adult onset. Many kids will outgrow an allergy, but the prevailing view among allergists is that if you have or develop an allergy as an adult, you're stuck with it.

:roll: Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:38 pm 

No worries . . I wasn't planning on getting my spine adjusted and then running out and eating a loaf of bread or anything :lol:

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:19 am 

With symptoms like that, consider getting evaluated for celiac disease. It's possible to have both a wheat allergy and CD.

Otherwise, adult onset food allergies are generally not outgrown, though I did outgrow strawberries. The wheat and soy allergies are worse than ever and here to stay.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:57 am 

Thanks again. Come to think of it, my grain allergy symptoms (with the exception of corn which can bother my throat) aren't really like my other allergies. If it's celiac disease, that would explain why I have problems with oats too. I'll definitely mention it to my allergist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:34 pm 

Just thought I'd put my two cents in. My mom has celiac's disease and she can't eat anything that contains wheat, or any part of the wheat stock, msg is also a no no. But she can eat oatmeal though so that isn't a part of her celiac's anyway.

She used to love her bread, pasta and such so was disappointed to have to readjust her entire diet. But she has found some good pasta's, breads, soups, etc from Kinnickinick Foods, in Edmonton.

The one thing she is irked about is that Cambells Soup didn't used to use flour in their cream soups, and now they do, so she can't eat any of them anymore and has had a hard time finding good soup she can eat safely.

We have gotten used to checking the labels everytime we buy something, just in case they have started to put flour in things as a cheaper alternative to corn starch and stuff.