You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:24 am 

Hi everyone; I agree with all of you in reference to the medical field not "getting it".

DS - many yrs ago (when he was 8) he was at ER with high fever etc. Pneumonia. And even though it was on his chart "allergy to penicillin" I reminded the Doctor when he wrote out the prescription. As I recall, he passed it to me & I stated "remember he is allergic to penicillin; so this is not penicillin right?" Ignoring me, Doc said "get this filled" I asked him again and he finally said, rather peeved "Sort of, it's in the penicillin family" Of course I got angry :evil: and asked what he was trying to do? It could possibily kill my son. Dr got mad and said there was so little penicillin in that prescription it wouldn't do a thing. I told him he was crazy and to give DS something else. Dr got very angry - crumpled up the prescription - threw it in the trash - and said see your family doctor tomorrow - then stormed out. We went home with no medication. If I did not desperately need the services of this hospital I would have lodged a complaint. Did not want to be black-listed. They can do it too.

Pharmasist said the same thing about a prescription for me. Said it was in the penicillin family. I refused it. She insisted it would not harm me as allergen would be only a tiny bit. GRRR Refused to buy it and left. Fam. Dr. gave me new prescription.

While I was at ER for the day (not due to Ana) a nurse tried to feed me lunch. Declined all food because of ana. Even the hospital dietician has told me- absolutely no food served anywhere in the hospital is safe for me. Cross-contaminatioin definite. The nurse could not understand why I could not eat the tuna sandwich. Processed in same facility as crabmeat, lobster, clams etc. She kept insisting but it's not shellfish its tuna. Did not get the cross-contamination. Tried to push and apple, tea etc on me. Tried to explain Same Kitchen Same Hands. Fustrated she asked what she could get me from the kitchen. NOTHING!!!!!! Can't you understand NOTHING is safe for me to eat here. My husband is bringing me something from home. She left shaking her head. Wished I could have shaken her head for her. :roll:

The medical profession plus pharmasists and believe it or not, some allergists (mine) do not seem to grasp the fact that our allergens can be in things like cosmetics, creams, toothpaste, eye drops (for eye tests), pills, sutures, ointments, bandages etc. etc. etc.

I wish there was a law within the medical profession that required all Doctors(in all fields) and nurses to take an in-depth course on anaphylaxis and be shown and told where and in what, our allergens can appear. I know there are far too many allergens to cover but a generalized list of the unexpected. Example: like what was just mentioned- A puffer with peanut derivitive. An ointment may have peanut, shellfish, etc. in it. Common knowledge things one would expect these professionals to know. Never give anyone food before checking with person, parent and label. If they can retain all that other medical knowledge, why can they not learn this? :?

Reading the posts brought back fustrating memories and I just had to put my two cents worth in.

Thanks, have a good day.
Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:49 pm 

Yes, it would be great if allergy organizations could launch a major effort to educate those in the medical field!!! That penicillin story is scary . . . in Ontario I know we can file a complaint with the college of physicians and surgeons of Ontario for things like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:58 am 

Helen, we can do the same. But apparently, so the grapevine says, there is no law that states a hospital must treat us. :shock: The grapevine also says that hospitals can turn away trouble makers or make you wait much longer to see a physician. How factual these rumors are I do not know. But over the years rumors have gone around that people are unwilling to put in complaints about their treatment in fear of being black listed. No one I know is willing to take the chance the rumors are true. Myself included We all need these hospitals, therefore, things like this as left unresolved. Only malpratice or rarely, indecent moves are reported. So, now I am one of those patients (when at ER) that questions everything (ana etc.) to the point I that occasionally the doctor or nurses will say "you have already told me, you don't have to keep repeating it". Sorry guys, but unfortunately I do as you don't always actually hear what you are hearing and my life depends on you really hearing and understanding what I am telling you.

Such is the life of those of us with allergies, especially ana.

On a positive note: I purchased the twin ana-tote and love it. There is even enough room to put my ID and my nirto spray in with my epi pens along with a ring I hang my house key on. No more little purse or backpack needed. I just clip my tote on my waistband and away I go. It is greatt!!!!!!! :D

Sue