You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:25 pm 

I'M LOOKING FOR ANY IDEAS FOR ADVENT CALENDERS, ALL THE ONES YOU BUY IN THE STORES "MAY CONTAIN". MY TWO OLDER CHILDREN CAN HAVE THESE BUT MY SON CANNOT. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY IDEAS. THANKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:02 pm 

Shell5968, see the following thread:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1658

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:49 pm 

I got one last year from that was imported from England. I got it in a specialty food shop that imports lots of items from the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:34 pm 

Me again. The company name for the nut free advent calendars is Kinnerton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:52 am 

We go totally food-free. I have two:

1. One I bought at Bouclair (fabric store) that is a snowman with little pockets in it (made of felt I think). I have a large collection of Christmas books, so In the pockets I put the name of a book, and then that's the special Christmas book we read that night. I have also put in hints for a small present that is hidden in the house. That's not for every night - just once or twice in the 24 days.

2. We bought a Playmobil Advent Calendar years ago and use it every year. They are awesome - last forever - and the kids love it. You set it up every year by putting pieces of Playmobil in little boxes, which you then attach to something that hangs on the wall. The kids open a little box every day and use the little piece to create a Christmas/Winter scene. Ours has Santa and a sleigh and lots of little animals and such on a winter background scene.

They are more $$ than chocolate calendars, but like I said, they last a long time so over the years the cost works out okay.

See http://www.latoys.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart. ... E+scstore6 for some pictures. They have lots of selections. I was at a kids' toy store the other day and saw a bunch so they are out there. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:26 am 

As Nicole mentioned above, there are other ideas at the now-closed thread at http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... 8&start=15 .

I'd like to consolidate the posts here in Shopping since other allergens besides peanuts are affected by this very timely topic.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:08 pm 

Karen, I love your Christmas story and treasure hunt ideas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 pm 

Thanks - the kids are at an age now that we can write down hints on a piece of paper and then send them off looking in the house. My brother actually started it last year or the year before - had them running all over the place. It takes an uncle to think up this kind of thing!! It makes things a lot more fun. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:21 pm 

If you're feeling a little crafty (just a little...I'm only into simple crafts :wink: ), last year I made simple advent calendars for my sons.
I took 24 baby socks (to look like mini stockings), and used gold fabric paint to number them. I then blanket stitched around the edges of a large piece of felt in gold thread ,and then attached the stockings with safety pins. I used Christmas colours of red, green and white for the felt and stockings. You can make your advent calendar any shape to fit the wall space you want to hang it on (I made 2 very long narrow ones to fit on either side of a high archway in my house). I've also seen this done with little mittens, and it looks great. Someone more crafty than I ,could also embellish the felt or create a patchwork effect with it. We then fill the little stockings with safe treats, coins etc.
I also made an advent calendar for my sister (she doesn't have FA, but is William's syndrome and has a lot of tactile issues with food textures etc. and only eats a very limited selection of foods). I used a "treasure hunt" idea for that one, like Karen mentioned. It's made out of craft foam, ribbons and lots of glitter glue to make it sparkly and girly, and each pocket contains a riddle leading her to a small gift. It's turned out to be a huge hit.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject: kinertton
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

Kinetton!

I love them! I have a nut free zone little britain advent calender!