You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:39 pm 

Interesting article on Yahoo News. They recommend that mothers whose children are at high risk of developing allergies avoid nuts and peanuts during pregnancy, breastfeed exclusively for first three months, delay introduction of solid foods until six months, delay milk and eggs until 1 year and delay peanuts/tree nuts until age 3.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20071114/hl ... llergyrisk

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:08 pm 

Read this and my heart sank - so it IS my fault! :shock:

Then I realized it is one study. I did breast feed my son exclusively for 6 months although I did not avoid peanuts while pregnant and nursing.
Until there is more support from a variety of studies, I am NOT blaiming myself! He has enough allergies in his background he may have had to be a bubble boy to avoid it all!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:03 pm 

Stefanie, please don't blame yourself! Just remember that there is so much about this that we don't know. Why, for example, would I be fine for 28 years and then develop food allergies? Why did my sister not have them? Same mother, same home, same diet etc. but I got them (very late) and she did not. The reality is, they just have no clue at all what is really going on, it is still a mystery. Some things may help some people and not help others.

That said---I know allergies run in my family. It seems very likely that if I had children,. they would be at risk. So, if I were to become pregnant, I would probably take every precaution, no matter how unproven or unstudied :) But does that 100% guarantee I would not have a child with allergies? No. You are a good mother just for loving your kids and doing your best to take care of them!

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:30 pm 

Quote:
Read this and my heart sank - so it IS my fault!

No it's not. No one has any idea what causes allergies and what pregnant/nursing mothers should do.

Quote:
They recommend that mothers whose children are at high risk of developing allergies avoid nuts and peanuts during pregnancy, breastfeed exclusively for first three months, delay introduction of solid foods until six months, delay milk and eggs until 1 year and delay peanuts/tree nuts until age 3.

They can recommend whatever...but until they know what causes/prevents allergies, their recommendations are what they are because they need to recommend something, right? Statements like this only lead to an "its the mothers fault mentality" among fellow parents which is not accurate or fair. Other studies suggest preg/breastfeeding mothers should eat top allergens so their infants recieve top allergens through their mothers placenta/milk and the baby is exposed to it before eating it for the first time. The verdict is still out.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:00 pm 

I must be honest. I do not blame myself - thanks for all your reassurances!

Once they prove something definatively, then I will let the guilt flow. :D

There is just no rhyme or reason right now and they are 'mean' to let loose a study like this with no caveats or anything!

I love this group. I am always sad when I get busy and away from you all too long! :oops:

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, I'm surprised by Dr. Wood's findings and recommendations (and want to read the actual study).

Most of the current scientific studies are suggesting breastfeeding might promote tolerance to allergenic foods. e.g. that's the whole premise behind the big LEAP study in Britain in which they'll be feeding half the babies a peanut snack.

So this new report is surprising, not to mention, confusing.

There are just so few consistent answers yet on this topic. I think – stayed tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

It is only recently that studies have come to fruition. For a study to get any information they need to follow children for years and gather data. Now that they are starting to corelate that data we are getting theories and recommendations.

I suspect that each one of us has done everything in our power to provide the best possible life for our children both before and after diagnosis.

Until the experst can tell me sometihng else conclusively, I'll stick with that. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Touché, wise one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:23 am 

_Susan_ wrote:

I suspect that each one of us has done everything in our power to provide the best possible life for our children both before and after diagnosis.

I agree!!!

Since my husband is allergic to nuts and peanuts, I avoided that during pregnancy and BFing. I've exclusively breastfed for 6 months, and my baby didn't have 1 oz of formula until she was 1 (well, we tried, but she hated it, and went with soy milk instead). I've been on a hypo-allergenic diet since she was 3 months old, when she first showed signs of allergies, which made her a whole lot better, and basically cured most of her major eczema!

Well, even with all those precautions, she's allergic to eggs, milk, wheat and barley, and we're staying away from nuts, peanuts, fish and seafood, because she hasn't been tested!!!

I've read so many different studies on this subject, it's crazy! Sometimes the guilt hits me hard, but then, like Susan said, I comfort myself knowing I did and continue to do my best for my little one, and we deal with her allergies one day at a time!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...