You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:31 pm 

I would like my nearly 4 year old to start carrying her own epipen/twinject. She is very resistant to this new responsability. I am looking for some feedback on what kinds of holders have worked best for your young kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughter is touch sensative and it was very difficult to get her to wear her E-belt. We started with her only having to wear it at school and on the bus to and fro (she was 3).
We have started to require her to wear it more frequently (Sparks, birthday parties and any event wear she may be separated from us).
She finds it easier to wear it over a shirt as it bothers her when worn directly on the skin.
LOL, today she was wearing it like a head band so maybe she's getting used to it. :roll:
Find a holder you feel comfortable with and approach it matter of factly. This is what she needs to do to stay safe. Over time she may come around as well.
Now if I can just get her to wear something other than yoga pants...

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 pm 

Here are a few links to a few different websites who sell epi carriers.

http://www.epipuppy.com/ This is quite cute and cudly and younger kids might like it.

http://www.kozyepi.com/ This site has a selection that seems to attract little girls more.

http://www.omaxcare.com/ This one I just came across, I think it's a great idea for teens or adults who can make sure those around them know where it is. My concern in a school setting is that others would not know where to look for and find the Epi

There was a parent in our support group who had a similar problem. She eventually found a really cute little purse with sequins and beads which she managed to put a very pink belt though and the little girl was tickled pink!!

Good luck

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:11 pm 

Thank you for posting those links!! Those carriers are SO CUTE!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:45 am 

We got a kozyepi and I am really pleased. She is happy to wear it and it is not too big for a just-turned-4 year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:37 pm 

I took a look at the epipuppy and it's a cute idea but I am wondering... It looks like a toy so other kids may want to play with it OR the young child wearing it will see it as a toy, it's bulky, it has a velcro closure which doesn't really make me feel too confident about it staying closed...

Yeah. I am not so sure about that product. Cute idea though. Has anyone here used it? Were they happy with it? Any problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 pm 

My son has been wearing an e-belt since kindergarten. I prefer it because it is strong enough to offer protection when he falls off the playscape or runs into things, slides on the ground, or whatever. I don't want the epi-pen breaking.

He likes it because it works great to stick his sword in. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

AnneMarie, your son makes me laugh! I never though about that but he's right. It would make a terrific scabbard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:59 pm 

My guys also love to use their EBelts to hold swords and light sabres. It has come in amazingly handy from that point of view. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:08 pm 

I ordered one of the kozyepi's today, the lady was so nice! I was able to request different colour combinations and such with her. Amazing! :D Also, she said that it would be here by the end of the week, I'm excited!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Rachael, I hope your daughter accepts this Epi-Pen belt better. In the end you may just have to tell her that she has to wear it under certain conditions.
She will get used to it...eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm 

Why do you want her to carry one? I have not ever heard of a child that young carrying their own. I would not have a 4 year old carry since I don't trust children that age to have impulse control. I would worry they might try to open it and inject it in error while playing with it or lose it or whatever. Is there really a need for her to carry one now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:11 pm 

I think many of us have had our young four year old carry their epipens with no problem. With age appropriate education of the class and the child, carrying an epipen is very safe for a child in a school or daycare setting - in my opinion. In my experience as a teacher, I have never heard of a child playing with an epipen or injecting themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:22 pm 

My kids carried their EpiPens when they were 4 years old. I was not comfortable with it not being right there with them at all times. At the daycare, if the daycare teachers changed rooms and accidentally took the EpiPen with them... well, it was no longer with my child. So we all agreed that the best thing was for the EpiPen to be with the child at all times.

My guys wore their EBelts from that age, and we never had a problem with them playing with the belt or the EpiPen, or with other kids bothering them about it.

Obviously some children may not be mature enough to wear one for a variety of reasons, but I personally feel that most 4 year olds are up to the task.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:17 pm 

My daughter was scared to carry it at first because she remembers getting the injection. I had to show her that if it stays in the plastic case, it would not prick her She has no desire to open it up! :D