You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:33 am 

With my daughter's food allergies, I play it very safe, and when I'm home all day, cooking 3 meals, I can wash my hands with soap at least 30 times in a day to make sure they're clean, especially when we have her allergens on the menu. I don't really have a choice, but it's doing a number on my hands, especially with the cold and dry winter. I have red and chapped hands, and I've tried tons of creams to no avail... I did the Vaseline Intensive Care, Ives Rocher, and even more expensive stuff like Vichy, but it soothes for about an hour and then the itchiness and redness come back.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks,

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:09 pm 

I put vaseline (like the real, greasy stuff) on my hands before bed. It seems to work quite well at turning a dry, chapped hand into healthy looking skin by morning.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 am 

I too like Vaseline. Have you tried a glycerin based product? Sometimes--and it is a little goopy--I use pure glycerin and hide my hands in socks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:59 pm 

You can buy "Creamy Vaseline" which I found works well. I also find the Dove handwash less drying. Lately I have been trying to use paraben - free products and I like the handsoap and lotion by Avalon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:09 pm 

One thing to watch out for, if you're allergic to nuts - lots of the richer creams use almond oil, I've found. Like the Aveeno creamy body wash, etc. I do use the normal Aveeno, though, and I find washing with Aloe Vera Softsoap at home helps to cut down on the dryness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:43 pm 

Hi, The best thing I know for chapping is Lansinoh - the lanolin cream for breast feeding. It is safe to ingest, helps with healing and a little goes a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 am 

My DH and I have the same problem. I use Glysomed (unscented).

http://www.glysomed.com/products/

I don't put it on every every time I wash my hands, but pretty often. I have a tube in the car, by the sink, at work, at my home office desk and by the bedside... So you see, I use it a lot! I put a nice thick layer on before going to bed in particular.

I have been tempted to get one of those paraffin wax home spas. Maybe one day.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 pm 

I usually use Moisturel lotion. I have a couple of heavy duty creams that are typically for wound care and unfortunately, are not commercially available (they can be purchased directly from the manufacturer in Waterford Ontario (not very convenient!). If my skin is so chapped that it begins to crack, at night I will I use Nexcare (liquid bandaid) over the crack, then Moisturel. By morning, usually the crack has healed.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

I use Glaxal Base moisturiser. It is think but non-greasy and fast absorbing.
I agree that it is a problem especially at this time of year.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:05 am 

I wash my hands all the time as well. I use either Aquatain (unscented) hand cream or a moisturizing cream by Quorum Allergy.

Quorum Allergy:

http://www.quorumallergy.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:12 pm 

not an environmentally friendly suggestion---but if your hands can't take the constant washing, you could consider using disposal gloves sometimes for food preparation.

also, when my hands get bad, I find it helps them heal if I bring bar soap with me most places (I find the soaps in public washrooms to be hard on my skin in the winter.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:33 am 

I definitely try to use rubber gloves when washing the dishes, although sometimes I have to force myself to put them on because I am always putting my hands in water, so it seems like I am putting them on and taking them off all the time. But I do notice a big difference in my hands if I don't use rubber gloves.

That's the best time to put on lotion or cream - right after you dry your hands. It seals in the moisture - at least until the next time you wash your hands - which is usually about 5 minutes later for me. LOL.

K.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 pm 

As my daughter has a reaction to water. I use a product by EGO called SILIC 15 a protective barrier treatment.It protects the skin from irritation and prevents dryness of the skin but it doesnt stop an itchiness that may occur. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:42 pm 

Renew lotion by Melaleuca has tea tree oil in it - very healing - not greasy and soaks deep down into skin . My hands used to always be chapped, cracked and bleeding....never have been in the past few years that I've used this product. Not available in stores but easy to get...... pm me and I'll tell you how

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:11 am 
Site Admin

If you're going to wear ruber gloves to wash dishes, lather up with your favourite moisturizer first and get an intensive moisturizer therapy while you wash the dishes!

The heat helps the moisturizer penetrate the skin.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb