You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:05 pm 

I believe there was an announcement elsewhere about the new national guidelines and the related websites, but I will put it here too:

These two websites:

http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca (English)

http://www.securite-allergie.ca (French)

have most of the info from the new national guidelines, plus some extra stuff that is not in the hardcopy document.

I hear you about allery awareness being very school -specific. I live in Quebec and my son's school isn't stellar, but it's obviously not the worst - I cannot believe teachers you spoke of would feel okay about having a child self-administer an EpiPen!!! I know there are schools in the same school board as ours that are much more allergy aware - but this is because those principals take allergies seriously.

This is why laws are needed - because right now it is so dependent on the principal being on board....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:09 pm 

Hi Kelly,
In the new document, Anaphylaxis in Schools and Other Settings, the Canadian allergists state that they feel that it is safe for allergic children to be around others who are eating may contain products as long as the child does not consume any of the food and that precautionary hand washing and table washing is done. I don't have the document with me to do a direct quote. I think the difficulty for schools to ban may contain foods is that this labelling statement is not mandatory for manufacturers. As well, so many home baked foods that other children bring to school could easy contain traces as well. Your school may not be "lax" by allowing may contains but realistic in what they can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:37 am 

Hi.

The way that I was able to handle the situation at our school (some may think it is the wrong way to go about this) is that they assured me that the school is up to date with dealing with allergies.(It was sort of like teaching a child. They insist they can put their shoes on~ they do but on the wrong feet. You just need to let them make some minor mistakes in order to teach them the right way) I followed along with their rules but pointed out all the mistakes along the way and explained the severity of the situation. They were good at making a slight change and looking at it differently. I was always polite and never tried to take over their territory. (I did not want to put them on the defensive)

When It became too dangerous for my son I started going through the proper chanels but I was also armed with some amunition. (The too many close calls)

I wrote to the head of our school board:

"Although The staff has been understanding I do not think they realize the severity of these allergies. Apparently they try to be a peanut/nut free school but my son has come home and stated that there was a boy in his class that brought a peanut butter sandwich to school. I mentioned it to the teacher and this has not happened again that I am aware of. I have however found on many occasions chocolate bar and granola bar wrappers etc. that contain peanuts/nuts strewn on the school premises.

In November of 2005 my sons class was going on a field trip. When I spoke to the parent that was going to drive him she was completely unaware of the fact that he had severe allergies. She did not know what signs to look for and had no idea that he carried an epi-pen or how to employ it. I thank God I mentioned it to her before the field trip so that she was able to prepare her vehicle and be aware of the situation. (Could you imagine if she wasn’t aware and something did happen?) I have checked the school policy hand book and the CISVA Policy Manual and there is nothing that refers to these issues.

I would like something done about this before it is too late. On too many occasions something is done after the fact. (i.e. Sabrina’s Law in Ontario)"

A few days later I received a call saying that she agreed 100% with my letter. A week later the policy details were started.

The Archdiocese has now purchased enough copies of "Anaphylaxis in Schools & Other Settings" for all of the Catholic Schools in the lower mainland.

My childrens school has now posted on their website that there are life threatening
allergies in the school along with an emergency plan and a link explaining allergies.

The school has also asked me to be on a sub committee for allergies so that I am able to keep the school up to date. (They had never heard of a twinject )

When told about infringing on other peoples rights. I simply stated the fact they do have the right to eat what they wanted but how would they like to live the rest of their lives knowing that they killed someone just because they insisted on having a peanut.

I also made personalized posters stating:
Life threatening allergies at _________
Please try not to bring peanuts/nuts in the school

I think this actually makes them comprehend the severity and not just think of it as an allergy (hay fever, sniffles)

[/b]

Post subject: peanuts/nuts allergic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:44 pm 

I lived in Richmond (Bristish Columbia). My sons is going to 10, he has severe peanuts/nuts allergic, I heard about that Sabina's law, in order to protect those with allergic to peanuts/nuts children, it's really necessary to enforce all school (elementary or high school) to strictly follow, to provide a safety and health place for those with allergic to peanuts/nuts children. It's fare and concern to them. [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Sil, Fantastic work spreading awareness in your school system.

I met the wonderful Pam Lee (ours - not that other woman!) of Vancouver at an Anaphylaxis Canada support group session this weekend. Maybe you two could pool support - I know Pam is already talking to the province, but meeting some resistance about an actual "Sabrina's Law". I know BC Mom in Victoria is also interested, and probably others on this thread, too. Remember that you can private message or e-mail each other from the site.

Pam mentioned the importance of writing letters on the weekend. Thought I'd paste Karen our mod's great letter to the Alta. Education Minister, as some people on the Forum have asked about the type of thing to write to a Min of Education or Health (see addresses supplied by Pam earlier in this thread). It's a great letter, Karen won't mind if anyone borrows from it when writing a B.C. letter. Here's what she wrote:

Dear Mr. Zwozdesky:

We are writing this letter on behalf of two young boys -- Maxime and Xavier -- to request your support of an Alberta law similar to Ontario’s Sabrina’s Law.

Both of our sons are lively, intelligent, and fun. They also have multiple life-threatening food allergies.
· Maxime (7 years old) is anaphylactic to peanuts, nuts, and most legumes (beans, peas, lentils, etc.). He is also allergic to eggs, chicken, some fish, potatoes, pumpkin seeds, and cucumber, and he has Oral Allergy Syndrome.
· Xavier (5 years old) is anaphylactic to peanuts, nuts, dairy products, and eggs. He is also asthmatic, which puts him at higher risk of having a severe anaphylactic reaction.

To look at them, you would not know that they have a potentially fatal condition. It is a hidden handicap. But if we do not surround them with responsible adults who (a) know how to help them avoid their allergens and (b) are able to respond promptly and correctly if they go into anaphylactic shock, we are putting their lives at risk.

Imagine
- sending a child with severe allergies off to school every day, knowing the school is ill-prepared to react in case of an emergency
- worrying each time the phone rings during the school day that it might be bad news about an allergic reaction
- being responsible for educating the entire school about your child’s condition and how to deal with it
- wondering if your child is aware just how unsafe their school environment really is

That is actually the reality for many parents of food allergic children across Canada. They are caught in a school system in which each school does things differently with regards to anaphylaxis. It is often the hard work and knowledge of the parents that keeps their food-allergic child safe. But not every parent has the resources and skills to do this very difficult and time-consuming job. Some parents don’t speak English (or French) as a first language. Some are very shy. Some just don’t have the knowledge about allergies. Does that mean their children should be at greater risk? No.

Anaphylaxis should be taken seriously in every school, and the necessary training and communication should be consistent from school to school. And we believe that it will take legislation to make this happen.

Why are we concerned about what other provinces do when we live in Quebec? We hope that one day Quebec will follow Ontario’s and hopefully Alberta’s lead and make all its schools safe for anaphylactic children. It would make a very great difference to our family’s quality of life.

Please help make this critical legislation a reality for anaphylactic students in Alberta. You will be making a world of difference to the lives of many children and teens and their families – now and in the future, both in Alberta and elsewhere.

Sincerely,
KE & CB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

See that the earlier address is for the Health Minister. Think Pamela has been mostly working through Education Ministry/ office of Shirley Bond. Her constituency office contacts are:

Web Site: www.shirleybond.com
E-Mail Address: shirley.bond.mla@leg.bc.ca
Fax: 250 612-4188
Address: 1350 5th Avenue, Prince George
V2L 3L4

If anyone has the Victoria Leg. contacts, please post, too. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:44 am 

The person within the Ministry of Education who is dealing with health issues is Heather Holt. It would be a good idea to cc. Shirley Bond and also Susan Kennedy, who is the person I met with last month. She was very nice, but non-committtal.

The Ministry of Education is not willing to pursue legislation at this time. We all must tell our stories so that they know there is a neccessity for this law to be passed. Phone Heather and tell her what is happening at your child's school. We must all phone/write/e-mail our MLA's so that they will put pressure on the Government to pass the same law as Ontario has.

In the meantime, we can all ask that our schools voluntarily put in place all the facets of Sabrina's Law, so that our children are as safe as can be.

We need more people to get active about this in BC. If you can help at all (it won't be anything that hard or time-consuming) please contact me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:36 pm 

In my conversation with the health authority, I was also told that they have found out that the BC government is not considering any sort of variation on Sabrina's Law because they have had people come forward AGAINST having any sort of restrictions on food in the school system. I think they are mixing up the need for anaphylaxis policies / the needs of the children affected and making it a rights issue by saying that. Has anyone run into people that are actively against Sabrina's Law? In BC or elsewhere? Can our BC group approach the government together again, even though the individual school boards set the policies?

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I see no reason why you couldn't approach the gov't as a B.C. group. In Ontario, school boards also set the policies, but school boards are overseen by and must follow the rules set down by the Ministry of Education. Same is true of other provinces.

Pam gives good counsel in suggesting you write to Heather Holt of the provincial gov''t. I'd write to Shirley Bond, too. You need to make the gov't aware of the real need for a Sabrina's Law. Ontario's Bill 3 languished until Sabrina Shannon's story galvanized attention. Use her story (copy the article from this site if you like), use your experience and the risk to your child in your school. You express yourself well, let Heather know what you've been going through.

I suspect it will take a petition (for starters) and a concerted push. If you can get enough people interested, I'm sure Cindy Paskey (who was the key organizer in Ontario) could give you some guidance once you're at the stage of having some parents assembled to work together. We could start an online petition here, but again, best to do so once you have some parents mobilized.

You may want to stop by at 3 today for our chat with Sara Shannon. She's interested in helping in B.C. if she can, as I've probably mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Caroline, I also thought you'd find this article helpful. It's from Cindy Paskey's site. She originally wrote it up last year for Allergic Living magazine.

http://www.b-online.ca/004lobby.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:43 pm 

Hi all!

Just spoke with my MLA's office, David Cubberley's office, and it is a go for introducing a bill called: "Anaphylactic Student Protection Act 2007". Based on Sabrina's Law in Ontario.

His office has asked for supporters to be there on Wednesday, March 28, at the earliest 12:45 p.m. Although, it doesn't begin till 1:30 p.m. If anyone is interested, please email me privately and let me know your name. I am to provide a list of the people who will be there, who will want to be in the gallery to hear this bill and support it.

There are some rules. I've never been in the Legislature Building before so this is all news to me: no cameras, no recorders, etc.no pens, paper, pencils, any writing materials. No chewing gum, no talking. Afterwards there will be media who will talk to the supporters there about the introduction of this bill. Please feel free. Let's be heard.

Please feel free to spread the word to other concerned parents and ask them to email me and provide me with their names if they will be there in Victoria, at the Legislature Building, on Wednesday, March 28, to support the introduction of this bill. This list of names will be provided to David Cubberley's assistant who will have the list at the main doors to check off. Your name needs to be on the list in order to go into the gallery.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Nancy

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:05 pm 

I am so excited for you all! Let's hope this becomes a reality real soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:03 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I wish I was there to lend my support. I'll be there in spirit!
This is such a big hurdle.
If BC legislates schools to have anaphylaxis policies, this will give more strength those pushing for the same protection in other provinces. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:52 am 
Site Admin

BC mom, I just copied your post and posted it on another forum I go to http://www.canadianparents.ca/CPO/
in the interest of reaching as many people as possible. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:25 pm 

BCMom is having trouble logging on so she asked me to thank you, Susan, for passing this information along. Things are going very quickly here - very exciting!

We have been in contact with Anaphylaxis Canada as well, and it is hoped they will send out a message to all their BC members soon. We have a ground swell!

Caroline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next