You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Nut-free candy canes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 am 

Does anyone know of any companies that make nut-free candy canes? I already contacted Allan's candy, and they state that their candy canes are not nut-free as they are made in a factory that also makes nut products.

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Yikes! I've given our daughter Allens candy canes because I thought they were safe for her but I think I checked back when we were only avoiding egg and milk. :shock:

I guess I need to re check everything I've been giving her.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Spangler candy canes are supposed to be nut free.
Here 's their website: http://www.spanglercandy.com/spangler/n ... chfaqs.php

They list Regal Confections Ltd as the Canadian distributor. Regal has nothing about this on their website. I just sent off an e-mail asking them about Spangler candy canes.

I'll keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:01 pm 

I finally spoke to someone at Allan's Candy (I had only received an email response before) and he said that although they do no guarantee that their candy canes are nut free, they are made on a dedicated line, and on a completely seperate floor from those chocolates that are made in the factory that contain nuts. He also continued with "...stringent cleaning of equipment..."...etc...
Something to think about...

I also spoke to someone at Regal Confections who stated to me that they do have some candy canes that are nut-free, but they must have a sticker/symbol on the box indicating this otherwise they are not nut-free, but will be next year!

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:15 pm 

"Pure Fun" -- organic candy canes (as well as a number of other sweet treats). The candy canes are really good -- I picked them up at my local health food store.

http://www.purefun.ca/products_candyCanes.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:07 pm 

I have looked at purefun candy before but I noticed that they say No to peanuts and Nuts in their check off list BUT at the bottom of the list it says Manufactured in a segregated area of a facility that may produce products containing nuts. It says this on all their products except the candy canes. Has anyone called this company to check? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:35 pm 

Yes, a mom at my son's school called purefun and they, like Allan's, will not guarantee that their candy canes are nut-free as there are nuts on site, but they said they are made in a seperate area.

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:03 pm 

I was given different info. re the "Pure Fun" candy canes via phone conversation (that they were safe). I've written an email inquiring again and I'll keep you posted. Here's hoping I get a consistent message -- my son has already eaten a couple! (without any problems, thank goodness!)
Regarding "a guarantee" about a product being "nut free" -- my feeling is that you'll not get that kind of guarantee from a manufacturer unless they test for the presence of a particular allergen (like Dare, for example). Personally, I'm more interested in how a company responds to my questions about their manufacturing facility and finding out if they follow good (safe) manufacturing practices, etc. i.e -- how do they contain allergens if there are any in the facility, equipment cleaning practices, do they have dedicated lines, are they accommodating and knowledgeable when answering my questions, etc. As we all know, there are no guarantees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:43 am 
Site Admin

Here is the response I received from Regal Candy Ltd (spanglers lists them as the Canadian distributor)
Quote:
Hi Susan,We carry High school musical, Hannah and Cars canes that are free of Peanuts,You can purchase our canes mostly anywhere, Walmart, Zellers, Shoppers and Toys R Us. etc..... If you need further information don't hesitate to contact me.
Please see below note from out supplier.

All canes manufactured by Gold Seven do not include this kind of allergens (see below)

peanuts; tree nuts (almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts [filberts], macadamia nuts, pecans, pinenuts, pistachios, walnuts); sesame seeds; milk; eggs; fish, crustaceans (e.g., crab, crayfish, lobster, shrimp) and shellfish (e.g., clams, mussels, oysters, scallops); soy; wheat , and sulphites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:31 am 

Susan,
Thank you so much for posting this. My daughter will be so happy. I'm planning on adding these to the tree tonight and can't wait to see her face when she wakes up tomorrow morning. The fact that they are available in High School Musical or Hannah Montana is a major bonus. Thanks so much again! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:54 am 

Thank you Susan, nothing can compare to a HSM candy cane for a 9 year old :D . I've been leary to have any in the house as they are so sticky and I was afraid of trace. I'll be off to Shoppers asap.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Susan - thanks so much for checking this out.
Very helpful - and obviously a popular find. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:33 am 

Received a response from Pure Fun:
Quote:
Hello,
Candy canes are made in a plant where peanuts are processed on a separate floor. This facility is tree nut free.
Our plant follows all the necessary polices and procedures to control possibility of cross contamination. All the practices are being audited by authorities on regular basis.
Candy Floss is being made in peanut and tree nut free facility.
Our products are peanut and tree nut free at time of manufacture and sale.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
QA Manager
Pure Fun Confections Inc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your response from Pure Fun. I pas by those products which state they are made in a facility that also processes the allergens we are avoiding but...
If the allergens are used on a different floor, I wonder how likley it is to cause cros contamination.

Definately useful information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:12 pm 

I personally don't buy any product that says "produced in a facility that contains peanuts / nuts" either. I don't even take the time to call to find out about manufacturing practices, etc. when I see a label like that. I figure, there are enough other options out there, so why take the risk? In this case, with the candy canes -- this info. wasn't made clear to me (or I didn't hear it). Even though it seems they (Pure Fun) take the necessary precautions and the peanuts are on a different floor -- it does still bother me. I don't think I'll be buying them again in the future... :?