You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:04 am 
Site Admin

Don't let the headline scare you. I found the articles approach calm and informative.

Of course we have anxiety, it's a condition with the potential of a life threatening reaction with vague diagnostic techniques and research is still in the early stages so medical opinions are vacilating as new data comes to light. Who wouldn't be anxious?

I found the end of the article made some good points. Some viewers might be difficult to accept but, given our reality, I think it's not unreasonable to entertain the idea that there is a real risk of letting the anxiety get the better of you.

Support groups both on the internet and locally help us to check our feelings and verbalize our anxiety. It is just as helpful to give support as it is to recieve it. through offering ideas, we can see that, yes, we have some control over this condition.

Quote:
Meanwhile, some families are racked with contagious anxiety, says Mary Klinnert, associate professor of pediatrics at National Jewish Health, who directs a quality of life program for parents and their children referred from all over the country. Some are pushed to the edge by painstaking attention to meal preparation, concern about keeping their toddlers safe at birthday parties, curtailing or even eliminating restaurant meals and preempting sleepovers or sleep-away camp, all while worrying that their child might eat, smell or just be near the wrong food . . . and die!

"I'm concerned about the amount of anxiety that has been generated," says Klinnert. "For a child to die from an allergy, everything has to go wrong . . . and seldom does. We try to help families understand the real and imagined risks."

"You can hold yourself and your child hostage to his allergies or you can come up with solutions that will keep your lives as normal . . . and safe . . . as possible," says Kristine Littauer, who spent two weeks at National Jewish and learned that her 3-year-old son, Jack, could have a fatal reaction to ingesting dairy products, but he was not, as they believed, allergic to wheat, fish and sunflower seeds.

"At first it feels overwhelming," says Littauer. "But with the support of friends and family, we learned to live in a way that doesn't create our own prison."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/health_s ... page=2&c=y

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb