You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: East Side Mario's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:11 pm 

My 14 year-old daughter has just been diagnosed with a peanut allergy, so we think twice before eating out. My husband and I recently ate at East Side Mario's and we asked about their peanut policy. They used to serve buckets of peanuts to the patrons in the bar section but the waitress told me that they did away with all that, that all their foods are now peanut free, except for their ice cream which is Nestle's. So we went there for my daughter's birthday and had a nice meal and had homemade cake and Chapman's ice cream at home.

I don't know about tree nuts though, I didn't notice to see if there was anything pesto (pine nuts) and I did notice that they serve a dessert with Turtle's chocolate, which means it probably has pecans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:08 pm 

My son is allergic to nuts and peanuts and we've also had positive experiences at East Side Mario's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:22 pm 

I called East Side Mario's today as my son's school is thinking about going there for the grade 8 grad trip. My son is allergic to peanut & nuts and the manager everything but the desserts are safe... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:00 am 

I've eating there too, but i'm also allergic to fish on top of nuts. So i couldn't eat their fries because they are fried with the fish (I can't believe resaturants still do that!). Montanna's, Moxie's and Tony Roma's also have cross-contamination with fish with their fries. <Sigh> at least no one uses peanut oil anymore!

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:54 pm 

I don't know why they would fry their fries in the same oil as the fish. I would think it would make them taste "fishy". But honestly, that's the least of their worries. They should really indicate in their menu to avoid them if you have a fish allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:14 pm 

A friend just told me that someone she knows was just at East Side Mario's and they're now serving Chapman's ice cream. :D I haven't gone myself and don't know if this is the case at all locations (they haven't gotten back to me as yet), but will post if they respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:23 pm 

We went to East Side's in Owen Sound while on vacation last week. My daughter had it set in her mind that she wouldn't be able to have the ice cream. When dessert time came, I asked the waitress and sure enough...they've switched to Chapman's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:02 pm 

Hi there. I'm new to the allergy front. We had our son tested in the summer and were advised he is allergic to Peanuts. I called the East Sides in Mississauga, ON to confirm the use of peanuts in their foods and what type of ice cream they use. Unfortunately they aren't using Chapmans, and I was told the majority of their menu items should be safe. I'm now hesitating and proably will opt not to go there with him, as the answer I got was not sure enough for me.

I did however call Boston Pizza as we received a gift certificate for christmas, and was told the peanuts they do use are added to the meals that have them only after they are ordered, and are added once they are out of the kitchen. They also have an allergy list you can ask to see, which tells you everything in the food before you order it. Unfortunately the icecream they use is Nestle's.

Hope this helps out for those in our area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:53 pm 

ESM's never did respond to my emailed query about Chapman's and re-reading this thread has got me wondering....for those of you that dined at ESM's and ordered the Chapman's ice cream for dessert, did they confirm for you that it was the "peanut / nut free" Chapman's and not their regular (that has a may contain for peanuts / nuts)?
Lianne -- I agree that you really do have to go with your gut about a restaurant because even with franchises, each location has different management / staff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:57 pm 

Just a quick note that Baton Rouge cooks with peanut oit...everything! It even states it right on their website, so unfortunately some places do still cook with peanut oil! (unless anyone knows if they have recently changed it?)
Gave up some great ribs.........

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:38 pm 

We've had a good experience with the East Side on Mavis. In fact our server had an almond allergy and was very accommodating and informed -- we always identify ourselves as peanut and treevnut allergies before being seated and always seem to end up in his section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:17 pm 

just linking these two threads: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1915

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:04 pm 

Ang wrote:
Just a quick note that Baton Rouge cooks with peanut oit...everything! It even states it right on their website, so unfortunately some places do still cook with peanut oil! (unless anyone knows if they have recently changed it?)
Gave up some great ribs.........

Ang

A member of my local group told me that Baton Rouge does still indeed fry with peanut oil...

K.

Post subject: ESM - sulfa alert
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:58 pm 

The last few times I have eaten a salad at ESM I have barely made it home. I had my typical reaction to sulfa. I have asked the server each time but obviously someone is unaware. Beware! The rest of the food is good!