Vietnamese Salad Rolls
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:11 pm In Appetizers,Birthday,Celiac, Gluten-free,Christmas, Hanukkah,DFCF,Easter, Passover,Eggs,Fall,Fish,For Kids,GF Appetizers,International,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Spring,Sulphites,Tree Nuts,Vegan,Wheat | No Comments
Makes 16 to 20 rolls
These tasty rolls are perfect as hors d’oeuvres or as an appetizer. They can be made up to four hours ahead and refrigerated.
Free of: Gluten and top allergens.
- 10 6-inch rice paper rounds
- 1 package (250 g) cellophane (thin rice) noodles
- 1 cup (250 mL) mixed lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup (125 mL) carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (125 mL) cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup each of fresh basil, mint and coriander, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) rice wine vinegar [check label for GF / allergen-free]
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place noodles in a bowl and cover with hot water. Soak for 20 minutes, then strain.
- Toss noodles with vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a shallow container, soak rice paper rounds in hot water for one minute until pliable. Remove gently and lay on a clean dry kitchen towel.
- Trim curved edges off rounds so that you have a square. Cut square in half, to make two 2.5-inch long strips.
- Cover strips with lettuce leaves and spread about 1 tbsp worth of noodles over bottom third.
- Top with a pinch of carrot, cucumber and green onion. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Roll the bottom edge of wrapper over to enclose the filling, and continue rolling until spring roll is formed.
- Cover rolls with damp paper towel and refrigerate up to four hours, until needed.
Wasabi Mayo Dip
- 1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise [suggested dairy-free, egg-free alternative: Veganaise; Earth Balance MindfulMayo is also soy-free]
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) wasabi powder
Combine dip ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/07/02/appetizer-vietnamese-salad-rolls/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/recipes.ss_.vietnamese-salad-rolls.jpg
Click here to print.